When you find a book that sucks you in.

I haven’t read a really good book in a while, one that sucks you right in with twists and turns and wanting you to know more. I think the last time a book really gripped me that much as in my teenage years where I was obsessed with Divergent and the Hunger Games.

I found my new obsession. The Inheritance Games by Jennifer Lynn Barnes.

I’ve spent three days reading it. Three days on a 372 page book. This happens on a rare occasion for me as a slow reader, and just as rare to read 130 pages a day where my typical count is 30-60 pages and it usually takes me a week, if not, two weeks to read a book unless I’m procrastinating and in that case, it’d take me about a month. But I, quite honestly, couldn’t put it down. And now I’m so excited for what happens next as I just ordered the sequel, the Hawthorne Legacy. :sweat_smile:

Have you ever read a book that sucks you in? That you couldn’t put down? One that was recent? What was it?

Have you read this book? What did you think of it?

1 Like

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. I was intimidated by its size because the abridged version is already 71 chapters long :o_o: but then I opened it.

Finished it in less than a week XD and then I read the unabridged version, which is 117 chapters long—well actually I read only the parts that weren’t in the abridged version because I wasn’t able to find that much time to read it, but yeah.

The whole story is just so gripping, for me personally. The characters. The plot. The twists. The drama. It’s basically a giant revenge adventure, and seeing the protagonist execute his revenge… mmmm. So satisfying.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Unfortunately I haven’t finished reading it yet (because I got other things to do, like writing and playlist-compiling :sweat_smile:) but it’s one book that I just really love right now. The narration in the book is superb and I just love it so far.

2 Likes

At first, I was like, “71 chapters? Pft. The book I read was 92 chapters.” And then I looked up how long it is, and I would definitely be intimidated by a 1,000+ page book. :flushed: I can’t even consider how long it would take me to read that book, or a book of its size. :rofl:

That’s so awesome! Especially for a thick book lol. I remember watching one of the adaptations in school forever ago, but I hardly remember it. :sweat_smile: I think I really enjoyed the story back then? :thinking:

I’ve heard a lot about that book, mostly good things. What is it about? And I’m glad you like it! :blush:

1 Like

Haha yeah, some books may have less chapters but each chapter is longer. In that book, dialogue can literally span pages, so you can imagine how long each chapter was XD

Oh, the adaptations. Well they’re usually not that faithful to the story (especially the ending) because it’s super long and has a whole web of characters, although the overall revenge thing may stay pretty much the same.

Oh, it’s a story about a German girl in Nazi Germany during the era of Hitler, narrated by Death. It’s interesting.

I have not read the book you mentioned or even heard of it :sweat_smile: Awesome you were able to discover a book that sucks you in! I hope the sequel is as good as the first book :wink:

Recently finished The Storm Keeper’s trilogy. It’s by Catherine Doyle and I cannot recommend this series enough. It’s a middle grade fantasy about an eleven-year-old boy named Fionn Boyle who finds out the island of Arranmore where his grandfather lives is magical, but that an evil sleeps and now she is awakened. Fionn must find courage to face it.

There were twists inside twists inside twists! And how the author connected everything from the first two books into the last book was AWESOME! She made me laugh, made me root so hard for Fionn, and made me tear up :pleading_face: Such an awesome series. Seriously. Once I started into one of the books, it was always hard to put it down.

Another book I had a hard time putting down was Inferno by Dan Brown. I mean…he’s awesome, what can I say? It was my first time reading his book rather than watching a movie based on his books. I had no idea his stories were that gripping. And because the chapters were short, I was always “One more chapter, one more chapter” every time I picked up the book :stuck_out_tongue:

A few weeks ago I read and loved Anxious People by Fredrik Backman. Before that there was Circe by by Madeline Miller, If I Had Your Face by Frances Cha, Piranesi by Susanna Clarke, The Glass Hotel by Emily St. John Mandel. I wish I could find books like that all the time, but I’m such a picky reader, and so few books have that kind of engaging hook and premise that draws me in. Not to mention a character that you care about. All of those books had excellent character development.

I’ve never heard of The Inheritance Games before, but I’m so glad you were able to find a book that hooked you, and better yet that it’s a series. (*^-‘) 乃

1 Like

Tbh I haven’t either! I got the Dear Evan Hansen book for Christmas that I am super excited to read, and thought about ordering a few more books to read. I need some new books to read xD

I’m usually sucked in and am a fast reader. Of course, that’s tempered by kids. Just a reference, TLotR I was a 3 day read when I was 12. I read Dracula around the same time.

I have high standards only met by good manga these days. Teppu is pretty awesome.

I honestly WON’T pick up a book unless it sucks me in, and my method of reading is typically to binge the entire thing over the course of 6 hours-a day (I’m a pretty fast reader). I have been trying to force myself to branch out a little by making myself read a chapter of Name of the Wind every night but I am just not feeling that one… :disappointed_relieved:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.