Which title do you think works best?

Context: I made this story concept up last night, and I haven’t more than very basic descriptions of the characters and general plot arc. Initially I had wanted to call it “Image Of A Girl”. I really like the abstract feeling of the phrase, and it’s a repeated motif throughout the plot. But I also like “The Silhouette”, and I’ve wanted to call one of my stories that for a while, it just seems like a classic neat, minimalist noir title. So I’m torn. For further context, here are two title cards I’ve created.

Genre: Noir, mystery/thriller

Blurb

Cadie is in fear of her life. Ever since she moved with her husband Martin to booming post-WWII Miami, an ominous cloud has been hanging over her. Martin is staying out later and later, and out of the blue, she begins receiving letters threatening everything up to and including death from someone she has never met. Each letter ends in much the same way:

Come to your window, come so that you may gaze upon the instrument of your ultimate demise

But all Cadie ever sees is a phantom, a silhouette, the image of a girl. With her life in imminent danger and an unlikely ally in landscaper Tony, can she find the truth before it is too late?

Title options
  • Image Of A Girl
  • The Silhouette

0 voters

@FourcedowErsert Maybe you’ll have some insights hehe…

1 Like

I vote ‘The Silhouette’ but what I personally think would be the best is just ‘Silhouette’ without the ‘the’. Does that make sense?

3 Likes

Hm…so just “Silhouette” then?

1 Like

Yes.

1 Like

Okay, I’ll consider that, thank you for your input :slight_smile: Was there any particular reason you preferred it that way?

1 Like

I personally find one-word titles more gripping, especially if that second word is ‘the’. I have no idea why. It might be because we have all these horror/thriller books at home with one-word titles.

1 Like

That’s an interesting observation. I guess I never really noticed, but I like to put “the” in many of my titles. It probably is just a filler word, but for some reason I like using it.

1 Like

We all have our oddities like that, I suppose.

If I go look at the closest bookshelf, the first titles I see (in my native tongue) are “Seeker”, “Citadel”, “Complot”, “Ademloos”, and “Geluidloos”. But then there’s also titles like “De Jacht”, “De Verrader”, and “De Jury” (de=the). So I suppose it’s about 50/50 for published authors too

1 Like

Ah, yeah that’s true over here too, You’ll see lots of one word title, and others with “the”. I guess it just comes down to personal preference.

1 Like

Huh. We both learned something new today.

Now seriously considering removing ‘the’ from her WIP’s title

1 Like

Yeah, I guess so :slight_smile: By the way, here it is with and without “the”

2 Likes

I’m very biased, so you know which of the two I’ll choose.

Out of curiosity, why “Tommy Gunner presents” instead of simply “Tommy Gunner”?

1 Like

Oh don’t mind that haha, I must’ve accidentally left it in. It’s just a little flourish I added to give it the classic feeling. For the final version I’d probably just make it Tommy Gunner

1 Like

Is that normal for Noir novels?

1 Like

Maybe not the novels. You don’t really see much noir writing these days sadly. The films though, were known for being very slick and melodramatic in their presentation. They’re a huge influence on my writing style, and I suppose that also extends to cover designs now haha

1 Like

I think ‘The Silhouette’ gives it a more ominous feel and suits the description better. @/FireAlwaysReturns does make a good point with how just ‘Silhouette’ sounds kind a bit more alluring, but I also feel like the ‘The’ suits the noir style a bit more. I don’t know, it seems like one-word titles are more of a thing that has escalated recently. I’ve seen a lot of those.

I love this story idea, by the way. Definitely intriguing.

1 Like

I think I’ll go with The Silhouette then :slight_smile: I was holding out for your opinion haha.

See that’s what I was thinking. I think “The” gives it that Noir feeling. And I agree that one word titles seem to be a more recent phenomenon.

Thanks! I’ve actually outlined quite a bit of it (but we can talk about that in the PM)

1 Like

Oh haha, I’m flattered. Thanks, it’s nice to know my opinion means something.

I’m glad you agree! :slight_smile:

1 Like

It definitely means something :slight_smile: now you’ve gotta help me flesh out my 20 other concepts hehe (just kidding…probably :sweat_smile:)

1 Like

xD Haha sure! I’d love to hear them when I have time. Up to you.

1 Like