Who writes in third person?

I almost always write in third person limited, (thought it was omniscient since we always see multiple perspectives in my books but I was told otherwise.)

I have written in first person before, but I like third person better and probably for a stupid reason. When I have written in first person, I feel like I’m writing about myself, and when I write in third person I feel like I’m telling a story about other people, and it feels less awkward.

I didn’t know that first person was so overdone on wattpad. I can write it, I just haven’t for a while.

What are your thoughts on first and third person?

7 Likes

Also second person is literally used for insert person x reader lol.

I write and like 3rd person limited better, but 1st person seems to do better on Wattpad.

1 Like

Ello! I write in third person. I have actually experimented with all sorts of POVs. Third limited and omniscient, first, even second once. My main preference is third limited and first, and to stay equally strong in both, I mix up which I use with each manuscript. For example, one manuscript is third, the second first, the third is also in third pov, the fourth in first again…

I like both of them equally since third limited is really just first person with different pronouns if you write it well.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve been only writing in third person. Maybe I should switch it up.

1 Like

You can always just do a few short stories in between. That’s how I usually experiment with new/strange POVs myself

1 Like

Sometimes I do write short stories just for fun. Whenever I write it just ends up being in third person. It’s such a conscious decision to write in a different Pov for me.

2 Likes

That’d make writing a short story in a different POV a fun challenge, right?

1 Like

Right.

1 Like

Personally I always write in 3rd person, and usually prefer to read in 3rd person. I think 1st person can be done well, but in my opinion it’s usually not done as well (not to insult the majority of writers on wattpad, I’ve enjoyed many 1st person stories here I’m more thinking about published books).

I think for me, I feel like 1st person often focuses too much on that one character, when there’s a lot more that should be put in. I just lose interest because of that

3 Likes

I usually write in third person, but I like first person too. I is usually automatic; a switch flipped when I start the process. I feel of it’s better to do first or third depending on what the story dictates.

I go crazy with the tenses, perspectives, and literary devices, making light a character and a human an object.

Maybe, I switch between first and third.

I am currently working on a story that is like and n first person, except it wants to be in third. You receive it (I hope) as if you are looking through someone else’s eyes and thinking what they are thinking.

3 Likes

I write 3rd person limited and it’s awesome and third person is awesome!

2 Likes

I only ever write in third person, and I prefer reading third person as well. I’m a very visual person, so I appreciate the clear outside perspective on what is happening. I like interpreting emotion and thought through a character’s expressions and actions, which we never see if we’re inside that character’s head.

1 Like

I write in third or first person depending on… what I’m writing XD
but for poetry I write in first or second? which should be awkward but it’s not… or maybe it is? idk bruh

2 Likes

I usually have first person or just ’perspective’, just abstract descriptors tied together in aesthetically pleasing ways XD

1 Like

ah yes that accurately describes my works lol

1 Like

Perspective is what I do to put things into your mouth via words…

To make you feel what I feel, but in third.

It is a weird hybrid of first, second and third.

Hello! I personally use third person limited so that my readers can feel like an onlooker in the books I write and it seems to be working well so far! :slight_smile:

Here is my thing.

I used to not be that fond of writing in third person because I always felt it was lacking and stale. Yet I would find myself writing in first person because I felt freer. Still, as time went on, I slowly started to get used to writing in third-person. Now, when I write in first person, it feels okay and decent.

I like writing in both but I do enjoy third person more.

2 Likes

I like to write and read both, but for character-driven stories, I like first person in particular because it allows me to really understand a character and experience the story through their eyes and feelings. Yes, their views on certain events in the plot can be biased, but you can play around with that in a way that’s impossible with third person. I’m sure both perspectives have their perks and I’ve tried both, but for now, my preference goes to writing in first.

1 Like