Why do my recent story ideas only have guy characters as mains?

We have ingrained stereotypes. We cover this word and gloss over it with the word trope.

We happen to try to clean up that word so often and seperate it from statistical patterns and harmful bigotry, but it’s far harder to do.

Because it's safest for me to pick on white Americans and food, let's look at something:

The stereotype is whites can’t cook. It’s not true, not automatically. There’s a lot of factors:

1. The younger generation has less time to learn.
  2. Desperation food, where you’re learning to mask undesirable flavors is not a middle-class habit.
  3. Much of the Midwest has close access to slaughterhouses and grass fed beef, or plenty of pork farms. Access to higher quality meats calls for cooking that doesn’t overpower the natural flavor. (Hence steak and potatoes over beans and rice.)
  4. Different cultures focus on different parts of the meal and a lot of white cultures like Germany, Sweden, ect. focus on breads, cheeses, desserts, stored meats. The casserole is what you soldier through before you get to the pie.
  5. If you’re not raised on heat, you can’t stand hot food. A lot of mild spices taste hot if you’re not used to them (black pepper).

But the thing is that Cajun food is white-domianted food. Of course, since 1/5th my local population is black, and we are Cajun dominant, a lot of blacks cook Cajun food.

So this means that some of the northern dishes I still make are bland, or I’ve added things to them because I can’t stand the lack of flavor. Or I just go full native to myself and cook like a Cajun.

So if I was writing a story about a Midwest child and bland food, likely the kid would be white. No one would think much of it if they went to any PoC friend’s home and they had good food. But if I reverse the roles, I’d probably get a criticism on believeability because “whites can’t cook”.

Excuse me, I can cook.

And God help you if you choose a dish that might get “cultural appropriation” yelled at you. Yes, I actually get to see arguemnts about food backed up on whose culture does what, regularly.

When you’re not exploring the mental emotional state of connections, empathy, indecisiveness, all the things that make “your female character relatable”, sometimes it’s easier to go with a male character. It sucks because that means very few female characters are relatable to me. Not like I can’t do empathy or indecisiveness, but it’s not a place I wallow in. You know why I order the same thing off the menus of places I frequent? Because if I’m choosing something I’m not used to, I’m indecisive. But if I just order what I normally eat, then I can interact with people.

But if it’s something that bothers you, you write it as if the character is male without directly stating that they are, and then 1st edit, you expand on female traits, see if it still feels right. Writing is the one place where you can change everything about a “person” without their past mattering: because you’re writing that, too.

2 Likes

Sushi Burgers exist. Imagine the arguments.

1. That might be good if it was less bread.
  2. The arguments over burritos, m’god. The history of the things shows soft-shell tortillas likely came from Jewish settlers out in California. And if not, Spain had Mediterranean culture and much the Mediterranean used flatbread…which includes Jewish people. Most food is “cultural appropriation”.
1 Like

Another reason to appreciate Jews-they gave us soft tortillas!

1 Like

So long as you don’t feel all woman are so boring that there is not one possible story that can revolve around a woman, it’s just your personal handicap as a writer, that you can’t write women interesting to you, nothing really alarming there. Just keep calm and carry on.

3 Likes

Some of that comes with age or maturity, too.

For example, I’m sure I better understand how to write about losing a child after 2 miscarriages than before. Same thing over the exhaustion of caring for the dying.

Females who don’t well connect to other females may have difficulty writing a woman with nuances beyond themselves. I mean, I’m lucky to be a very facted person, so I don’t write the exact same character each time, but there’s still things that aren’t me and aren’t my group of people that will be harder to reach without some thought.

4 Likes

Uhm that doesn’t even look appetizing XD And it looks hard to eat.

2 Likes

A lot of my stories are about guys. There were stories where I had to consciously change a character to a woman because I got annoyed with the lack of women in that universe. It’s actually kind of cool to genderflip a character and see what does or doesn’t change.

As to why story ideas might start from a guy, I think there are many reasons. Could be the source of the inspiration, whether it be a story or an image. We’re saturated with male characters. No wonder they’re on our minds.

But I also happen to like writing from a male pov.

There’s definitely a psychological aspect to this that I’m starting to accept and understand better even though I’m not sure yet how to explain it properly yet.

There’s something to it. Maybe not about being an inspiration but more like a fascination.

I had a realization recently that’s likely related.

So the reason why I’m writing a gay romance right now is because my two male MC’s had chemistry and I let them have it. So I started reading gay romances for inspiration and I find that I like them maybe even more than straight romances. I’d rather have a story with two hot guys than a woman because I’m not interested in women. So the woman in a story is sort of like neutral ground for me, she’s not as interesting.

It’s not necessarily a sexual thing (though it can be). And this is where it gets tricky to explain.

3 Likes

It also looks like the nasty patty from Spongebob.

2 Likes

Mine also lack in that department. I fear that I just don’t know enough about the topic. I don’t know anyone who’s nonbinary (though something’s going on with my niece and I wonder if that’s where she’s heading). I don’t want to make assumptions out of the couple of representations I’ve seen in TV shows.
I need more time to see more representation and maybe read some stuff by nonbinaries.

Same. But I find the same problem in real life. I don’t relate to other women. So I fear that my female characters won’t be relatable either. That doesn’t stop me from writing them my way. Even more so, I think I must write them my way which is likely more androgynous than anything else and that needs representation as well.

2 Likes

I never have that problem, but I watch anime that has a predominantly female cast often, like Lucky Star. If you are not specifically watching or reading anything with a focus on females, I can see what you mean.

1 Like

Mostly I just start with a common archetype and build her up from there. The zodiac would not be successful if people were not able to identify basic archetypes and relate to them.

If I worte them in a way that I despised, I sometimes wonder would people be able to pick up on my sarcasm or would they think the character is genuine and love it?

1 Like

I know a few non-binary writers, but not in real life. Although, unless the story is about them being non-binary, I would think it’s nothing different from writing anyone else.

2 Likes

There’s a strange predilection in single-gender dominated spaces to glorify the opposite sex. Yes, this happens in male-dominated spaces with females too—seen that far too many times.

Assuming it’s due to seeing experiences outside of your own as more interesting and the interactions with heterosexuality.

Either way, it’s a neat observation; yes, homosexual male relationships are overwhelmingly written by women and vice versa for homosexual female relationships (though tends to be more visual media than writing). Same applies for protagonist gender (though not sure if the trend is as strong).

5 Likes

Definitely this is one of them. I sometimes think about if I would ever be interested in writing a memoir. I always arrive at the same answer—my life is too boring to write about.

But the lives of other people? And maybe fictional people? Sounds much more interesting to me! :grin:

3 Likes

It wasn’t until I got out of the friendships forced on me as a child and moved to more adult friendships that I realised, hey, men are also boring as hell. :sunglasses:

Meanwhile I have a problematic tendency to project onto my own characters far too much that one is now far too similar to me. Weird how that works. :thinking:

3 Likes

Personally, for me, a dream story is a gxg story. I kindda romanticize men and women equally, and it is the idea of a romance that shapes with the plot that I obsess over. The downside is, my books are intellectually driven, and I think I have troubles engaging emotions because of that.

4 Likes

I run this risk myself. One of the way I temper it is figuring out what logically pisses me off, even if my logical mind won’t let me have actions irl. Writing what I’d like to do if I done lost my my mind makes for emotional characters.

3 Likes

Yeah. Totally!
I’m a woman too, and most of the stuff I come up with about guys.
I still can’t explain it, tho :sweat_smile:
Any ideas why we’re like that?

2 Likes