Word Count Tracker? I need to know where to get one or at least make one!

I need to track my word counts daily and/or weekly. I did make one, but it is for when I do writing sprints for 30/10 minutes. There is no set day or anything just writing and tracking the word count after the sprints. I have four 30/10 minutes writing sessions, but that is just for sessions only.

I am trying to find printable ones online for both daily and weekly word count trackers that are free.

I am doing this because last time I finished a novel, I stopped at over 70,000 and that was an accomplishment for me, even though I wasn’t entirely done. I want to surpass that word count and I need to track my daily and weekly word counts for Project MH and soon-to-be second story project.

If I need to make one, I at least need an idea by using something as a guidance in order to make my very own to get a general idea on how to create one for myself. I got Google Docs and Word to help, but I still need help.

Thoughts and feelings?

@AMMeyers
@Akje
@TheTigerWriter
@MatthewJH
@copyedit
@JojoDahlia
@J.L.O
@alenatenjo
@SecretDurham

Can you guys assist or anything?

Depending on which way you read it better, either the row (horizontal) or columns (vertical) needs to be the date, and the opposite is just your log for each session.

So:

Date || 1/7 || 1/8 || 1/9 || 1/10 || 1/11 ||
Wake || 150 || N/A ||1260 || 4 || 200 ||
Session II || 30 || N/A ||1270 || 342 || 200 ||
Morning || N/A || N/A ||1220 || 141 || 200 ||
Lunch || 130 || N/A ||1044 || 40 || 200 ||
Afternoon || 640 || N/A || 802|| N/A || 440 ||
Session II || N/A || N/A || N/A|| 600 || N/A ||
Evening || 200 || 300 || 250 || 100 || 200 ||
Night || 2003 || 1998 ||1268 || 909 || 2005 ||
Mood: || OK || Bad ||Great|| Guilty|| Meh ||

It looks random at first, right?
But you can start picking out some patterns.

1. This writer does better writing right before bed.
  2. When they take a day off, they peg it on the next day. So much so that writing every other day will net in more writing.
  3. Their double sessions in the afternoon doesn’t work. Cut that Session II?
  4. Mood might have something to do with how much they write.

But you could add anything below the mood line: Meds today? Ate right today? Cleaned something today? Bought something new today? Read today? Things that show how your everyday life is impacting your writing. So, after a few months, when you had a bad morning with breakfast being interrupted, and if you already KNOW that causes you to have a bad writing day, you won’t be as upset by the low number sessions.

2 Likes

I am fine with either way, in all honesty. Yet I normally prefer vertical, though it really doesn’t matter which way.

The example is pretty cool looking. I have to play with it in order to make it my own.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s got to go by what times you would reasonably write.

1 Like

So, I would have you use a regular daily and weekly tracker but make it for times I write and my moods during those times?

That would make a bit more sense.

Yeah. You might find there’s specific times and specific days that just don’t work for you, and no use stressing at those moments.

1 Like

True, true.
Thanks for commenting!

1 Like

I have something, it isn’t much, but I do like how I made it.
What are your thoughts?

You might have to zoom it out to get a better glance. I didn’t take the picture so greatly.
:sweat_smile:

1 Like

Especially at first, when you’re trying to get a baseline for what works, this detailed is good. After a month, maybe two, you’ll know how to cut this down, better.

1 Like

I took a better picture of it because the last was a bit wonky and blurry.
So, here is the second one, I hope this one looks a bit better than the last.

What you’re saying is that it’s good, but I should lessen it over time?

2 Likes

You’ll find a day where this is just too much, down the line. It’s good to be this detailed early on because this is making you aware of minute habits.

2 Likes

That’s true.

I can make this again, but instead of times, I would just place things like “early morning” to “late night” than actual times.

I love the setup, but I can copy and paste and overall redo another one too.

:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I made another one, @J.L.O!

1 Like

Definitely streamlined from the first.

1 Like

Yup! Thanks a bunch!

Eagerly awaiting, @copyedit! LOL!

1 Like

hm, maybe i should try this too :thinking: it looks like the sheet you made on JLO’s recs is pretty good. I think it could be simplified by removing the month/day bars at the top (since you already have a spot for the date) and organizing it like this:

[Session ] [time] [words written] [mood]

with blanks under these headers so that you can fill them in by hand. that way you won’t end up with a bunch of empty spots if you don’t write 3 sessions + do a daily task + eat every half hour. The “session” blanks can also be populated with [eating] or [task], so a filled out sheet might look like:

[session] [time] [words written] [mood]
[session 1] [7am-8am] [2000] [calm]
[breakfast] [8am-8:30am] [n/a] [calm]
[session 2] [8:30am-9:45am] [1309] [happy]
[daily task] [9:45am-10am] [n/a] [tired]

ect. ect. (and you can preserve even more page space by blacking out a line of blanks to indicate a new day)

or if organized vertically:

[session] [blank] [blank] [blank]
[time] [blank] [blank] [blank]
[words] [blank] [blank] [blank]
[mood] [blank] [blank] [blank]

the only problem with vertical organization is that it can’t keep going indefinitely because you reach the edge of the page.

2 Likes

You can also make projects on NaNoWriMo (even when you’re not doing NaNoWriMo) and track your word counts there. Just sign up for an account, and make a new project:

I made this today.

And when you wanna update your word count, you click on this:

Screenshot at Jan 07 16-42-32

then you fill in your details:

And when you click on your home/dashboard, everything is there automatically:

Screenshot at Jan 07 16-43-39

Just thought it would be a lot easier for you to do than print out pages and make tables. It’s an alternative way of doing things that’s all digital.

@Qualeshia12

4 Likes

Wait, are the examples you’re giving what you’d add or want me to try and add?
I’m wasting paper! LOL! :sweat_smile: :sob:

1 Like