Would anyone read a novel in play format as opposed to novel format these days?

My novel Red Reign: Monster in White is written in play format rather than novel format. It is written that way so that I can really get a sense of the story and characters in a way that I can’t really do in novel format.

Still, would anyone even read my story in play format? I can post the story after making changes and whatnot to chapters 1-12 along with a bunch of other stuff.

I just need to know where I can post this story where people can enjoy reading a play novel.

So, yeah, what do you think? The novel won’t stay in play format for long when I decided to make final edits of the story. I could wait, but my patience runs thin, and I need to put my story out there along with myself.

Lend me your thoughts!

2 Likes

I read plays all the time, and they say it’s a good idea to write a screenplay of your novel in case you’re ever offered a movie deal. I say go for it! You should be able to post a play on Wattpad, Inkitt, Royal Road and anywhere else you can post a book. In fact, there’s a special category for it on FictionPress. (੭ˊᵕˋ)੭‧˚₊̥✧

3 Likes

FictionPress is dying in a sense.

I no longer use nor want to use Wattpad.

I heard some terrible things about Royal Road.

And I’ve used Inkitt in the past.

I suppose Wacky Writers is a safer option for me.

Thanks a bunch.

On second thought, Wacky Writers isn’t a safer option for me neither.
I suppose I can try Wattpad again but do things much differently.

I really don’t have a cover for this story, and I know I am going to have to make on from scratch which I suck hard at.

Geez!

1 Like

Personally, no, I wouldn’t read it. J.K. Rowling did that with one of her books and that was back when I still was willing to read her stuff. I picked it up and read the first page and did not find it enjoyable at all because of the formatting. It was less immersive to me and didn’t flow at all. I found it jarring. Maybe for people who are used to reading play scripts, it’s not as big a deal. But the vast majority of readers these days aren’t used to that format and won’t like it. I wouldn’t even give it a chance, even if the story sounded good to me, the format would turn me off completely.

1 Like

That makes sense.

I could do the rough drafts only in play format then do it in novel format.

1 Like

Anyone else?

It wouldn’t bother me but I don’t seek it out.

1 Like

Don’t worry about what you think people want! If you want to write a screenplay or a play, go for it! The medium doesn’t matter, if your storytelling is strong, you will gain readers.

I’d suggest John Truby’s Anatomy of Story and the Screenwriters Bible and Blake Snyder’s Save the Cat for three fantastic resources on screenwriting and play writing. Study modern masters such as August Wilson. I love Fences and Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom (which I loved before the movie came out, and then I loved it even more). I love Steinbeck’s Of Mice and Men and Burning Bright. There are some plays out there that have spoken to me in ways that no other mediums have spoken to me before, and I read them rather than saw them live.

People who argue that they wouldn’t read something written as a play haven’t read a lot of plays. It’s a powerful medium, and it’s a shame that some readers out there would rather write off an entire medium based on ignorance alone.

Go for it! Love every second of it, and don’t let other people dictate your art! Whatever medium speaks to you, use it!

2 Likes

okay granted J.K. Rowling sucks at play writing and screenwriting, as evidenced by The Cursed Child and then the Fantastic Beast movies which are absolute trainwrecks. And honestly after revisiting the books, she’s not even that great at fiction. YA series that came out around the same time such as A Series of Unfortunate Events and The Mysterious Benedict Society triumph Rowling’s work when it comes to storytelling.

If you want a Harry Potter play that’s actually fantastic and features writing that’s superior to the original Harry Potter books in a lot of ways (especially Voldemort who becomes a real character in these parodies rather than just “the bad guy”) watch Starkid’s A Very Potter Musical on Youtube. All of those musicals are genuinely hilarious (a few jokes are dated but that’s forgivable) and they feature some of the best writing I’ve seen in a really long time–especially Twisted.

1 Like

Mainly if they were screenwriters or forced to by their teachers, or interested in that sort of thing

1 Like

That was really beautiful. Thank you so much for saying that. I greatly appreciate it.
:grin: :blush:

So, not really your daily cup of tea, I see?

1 Like

Not particularly

1 Like

I mean I can always write my final draft in novel format after writing a few times in play format.

1 Like

You can. Apparently a few people do that

1 Like

That was what I originally planned to do anyway.

1 Like

While this is all true, it’s still the format of play script that was a deterrent for me personally and would be for many other readers like me. If we wanted a play, we would watch one. When one wants to read a book, they are generally looking for a novel. They are two different mediums and I like both, but separate from each other.

Regardless, J.K. Rowlings works aren’t really the focus of what I was talking about, they were just used as an example.

1 Like

Real Talk: My play format for my story is really, really wonky, but it works so well for me.
Like it isn’t done in a typical play format. It is really done in my own way that makes sense to only me.

I would show a screenshot of what I mean, but no I won’t…at least not yet.

I guess I just wanted a reason to recommend Starkid. Also, challenge yourself to expand your scope. Read a few plays, you won’t be disappointed. Never be afraid to explore new mediums. Read everything! We’re writers, it’s what we’re supposed to do!

4 Likes

Well, if you would post it and let me know, I’d take a look at it and give feedback.

I’m also willing to give anything a try, even a new format. And for some time this has been a thing of attention for me. Maybe something I’d like to try myself.

To be honest, I’ve never read a Play Format of any project. It would be a first for me, and a new experience. Who knows, it may be a good nudge for me to actually do something different. A short play format built upon a few shorts that I have penned for fun could work in this format too. Guess I’d never know unless I read something in that way, and then it would help me see things clearly and make a choice.

I’d say go for it, and who knows where it could lead… For others too…

SD

1 Like