Writing Schedule or Just go with the flow?

Do you have a writing schedule or do you normally just write without planning days or times when to write?

So, do you have a schedule for writing or just go with the flow? I wanna hear your opinions.
What do you think?

Bonus Questions:

1. Do you write with or without a timer? How many minutes or hours do you set the timer for?

2. Do you count words or no?

3 Likes

I write whenever the drive comes. I find that if I set out special days or times, it leaves me with writer’s block. So when I can, I write. Even if it means I’m in class lol, I just pull up my notebook on my tablet and start writing away.

Nope! If I feel like I want to write, I write. If not, then no :slight_smile: But normally when I choose to write, I write a lot! So it sort of makes up for it haha.

Sometimes. Though when I really want to get some writing done, I use Virtual Cottage on Steam and it puts me into the mood. Plus, it runs for a specific amount of time, so if I want to focus for a set amount of time, I set the timer for that and I stop once the alarm goes off. Helps me keep track of time too, since I get lost in my book 100% of the time lol.

I find that it’s not very healthy for me to count words, honestly. Because then, I feel like I have to live up to this expectation that I’m writing, say, a 50k word novel, and it can get disheartening when I only get to write once a day (or even once a week, since college has been soooo hectic). So sometimes I look at word count when I get curious, but I try not to make a habit for my own mental health :slight_smile:

1 Like

I get that me and you are two very different people. I should at least try to find something that works differently for me.
What I am trying to get at is that I wanted to start a writing schedule, but I doubt I can stick to it.

I do count words and I guess my reasoning for that is mainly impatience. If I am writing a chapter, I try not to go over a certain amount and stay in that range.

I don’t use a timer and it makes me on edge if I were to use one.

The point is that I want to do things differently when it comes to writing. However, I am stuck in a rut.
Anyway, I greatly appreciate your comment.

1 Like

I mean, I think of writing as a habit. So long as you keep doing something, it becomes a habit :blush: I think you can do it!

That’s a completely understandable reason, and I can definitely understand why you do it :relaxed:

Interesting! I didn’t think of how it could make someone be more on edge. I guess for me, it’s just more of a way for me to keep track of how long I’ve been writing, and sometimes it’s more of a guideline than a rule.

I think that you’ve got this writing thing :blush: Once you get yourself out of that rut you’re in, you can do it!

No problem! :blue_heart:

1 Like

I say that because If I am writing straight for 25 minutes no breaks or anything, I will get antsy. I would want to draw may attention to something else that will take hours of my time. This is a problem only I can solve with a help of a therapist.

Anyway, something can change in the future, but only if I allow it to.

1 Like

I’ve been going with the flow recently but setting a schedule definitely helps with completing a book faster.

When I do sprints I do set a timer and count how many words I’ve written but outside of sprints I currently don’t. I usually set the timer from between 15-30 minutes as I tend to get distracted easily. But I usually do multiple sprints in a day after like a 5 minute break. I do look at the word count for each chapter but I don’t mind how many words I get done in a day as long as I eventually get it done.

1 Like

Awesomeness!

Thinking about it, I don’t think I have ever really did a sprint.

1 Like

I kind of do, but I didn’t make it on purpose. I write every day, mainly after my son goes to bed. Some days, if he’s preoccupied and I get a burst, I’ll write during the day but it’s rare. So I’ve fallen into a schedule.
I’m the type of person who has to write. I can’t not. There are some days where I start and I’m like NOPE NOT TODAY but even then I’ll get out at least 100 words just so my brain feels satiated. I guess it’s sort of an addiction? idk.
NaNoWriMo is really killing it though, but then it’s getting me back into that rhythm of sorts.

Without timer. That would really stem my creativity. Unless I have to be somewhere, or whatever, I will never set a timer. Even then, I would just make sure I leave it early, or not write at all if I have something to do.

Depends. For NaNoWriMo, yes.
Otherwise? Not really. If I’m posting to Wattpad, I’ll take a look at word count when I copy/paste out of interest. Sometimes if I feel I’ve gone for a really long chapter or really short, I’ll check. But I never stick to a strict count. So I only ever count out of interest.

2 Likes

Don’t set times or even word count…

Busy work life, write when I can, but mostly when the mood takes me.

SD

1 Like

If it is alright with you can I write a letter to life?

I’ll start right now!

Dear Life,

Why? WHY THE HELL DO YOU GOT TO BE IN THE WAY OF ME ENJOYING MY WRITING?!
WHAT IS UP WITH THAT, MAN?!

Sincerely, qualeshia3

Sorry, if this is out line.

That made me laugh…

And it’s so true.

SD :smiley:

1 Like

I write without a timer and I just go with the flow. Whatever I spit out works

1 Like

I would never curse this ADHD brain with anything rigid…well, mentally rigid.

1 Like

I write basically every day as long as I get a chance to. Most days time can be found.

I don’t have a specific hour when. My life isn’t predictable enough for that.

I don’t write with a timer unless I’m pushing the word count, then I’ll sprint, which I mostly do only during nano (like now). 15 min intervals are pretty good for me.

I count words during nano, not outside of it.

However, I did do a crazy thing of counting all my words in 2020. The entire year! It was for a challenge I set myself. I don’t recommend it. It wastes quite a lot of time that could be spent writing. Never again.

1 Like

I don’t have a schedule.

I honestly think having a schedule could hamper me instead of help me. When rewriting the first book of my main fantasy series last year, I had a schedule to upload a new chapter every week (which I wasn’t able to follow towards the end, but I kept to it for the most part). There were times I rushed the story just to meet the “deadline” of uploading a chapter every week, and though it turned out to be much better than the first draft, it could’ve been fleshed out more. I rewrote it again earlier this year, not sticking to any sort of schedule, and it’s much better now. I didn’t have any sort of schedule for its sequel and it turned out way better than I expected.

I never write using a timer unless I have something to do (say, I have an upcoming Zoom meeting), in which case I’d set an alarm so that I have enough time to prepare for the upcoming event.

Sometimes I do at the end of the chapter, to see whether I should write more or less. I rarely bother with the word count unless it’s ridiculously long (I once cut out several scenes from a chapter because it was nearing 7000 words, and was bound to go far beyond that) or too short for my taste (1500 feels very short for me, and I feel the urge to add more words in). I don’t have a set word count goal for the entire book, but rather just a preferred word count range for each chapter.

1 Like

I used to have a schedule, but after working full-time and being super busy, I now go with the flow. I try my best to write on my weekends, and sometimes, it really does work. c:

But on the weekends, I do somewhat have a “schedule” (or just a brief idea) on when I’d like to write. On Saturdays, I try to wake up early to write and if it doesn’t work, I’ll just write at night. :sweat_smile: Same on Fridays.

It varies. Most of the time, I don’t use a timer but if I can’t get through a particular scene as easily as others, I’ll go ahead and put a timer on. Typically 10-15 minutes.

Yup. I find it easier to count words than use anything else as a goal-setter. For each session/day, I try to get at least 200 words in, and then I try to go further if I can. Last weekend, I wrote over 1,200 words (500 last Friday and 700ish on Saturday) which was the most I’ve written in a long, long time. I’m hoping to write that much this weekend. xD

1 Like

i write at night

1 Like

I don’t set specific times because with a toddler that’s just not possible but I do have daily and monthly word count goals as well as soft and hard deadlines so a slightly flexible schedule.

2 Likes

That is cool.

I was thinking of doing something like that. Like a schedule for word count goals, but then I worry when I can’t reach a certain goal it will make me upset of stifle my creativity or something.

Oh, you night owl, you!

LOL! :wink:

1 Like