You have tons of writing related ideas. So, how do you organize these ideas personally?

LOL!
It does happen to the most of us.

2 Likes

I just use NotePad on my computer. At first I just put all my notes in one document, but when that becomes unwieldy and disorganized I break it up into separate text files and sort them into separate folders. For instance, I have a folder just for characters, with a text file for each character. ¯\_(ﭢ)_/¯

1 Like

Just Google docs. I have a file that have quick story ideas. If they grow to the outlining point, I make a folder with the separate files for Outline, Scenes, Backgrounds/Research and logline/blurb/summary

2 Likes

I use Campfire Pro for the whole outlining process. I don’t think it’s available for purchase anymore, though; it’s been replaced by a subscription-based version.
I’ve heard ywriter is a pretty good free program for outlining, though.

2 Likes

if you don’t enjoy it there’s not much point lol. computer notes are easier to organize, navigate, and store across multiple devices so they’re really the better option.

2 Likes

Depends on what you mean by “organizing.”

I get a lot of ideas daily, and honestly, I don’t do anything with them unless 1—they correlate to the current story I’m working on. 2—They can go into the next story I’ll work on. Or 3—if it’s a really, really good idea and it could work for a potential story. Those on three, often get pushed to the back-burner. I have multiple stories I’d like to write, but haven’t in forever just because I haven’t had the time to or the idea doesn’t match what I’m currently doing. I don’t often write down story ideas unless I have something with a little bit more detail (like more than one sentence summary). I usually keep them in memories.

As for figuring out what to do with the ideas, I go back and forth in my head on what to do with it—do I let it simmer for a while longer? Can I weave it into the book? Do I set it aside for a future project? If I weave it into a book I’m working on or will work on, I write it down briefly (because I’ll later flesh it out a bit more). If I’m gonna use it for a future project (like a couple books down the road), I’ll probably let it simmer so I can build onto it.

1 Like

I don’t haha :smiling_face_with_tear: everything’s in my head, all jumbled up.
i need to seriously outline these stories real quick lol

2 Likes