A great vast kingdom or a hidden empire?

I am realizing something. I did this in my own story too.
Yet the thought still leaves me wondering about other popular fiction.

Something about empires:

The lack of the word emperor. Because Nazra-Eradelia is actually an empire or five powerful kingdoms combined into a singular powerhouse of the kingdom.

There are empires on Alagossia, but the empires were once former kingdoms that grew in power, strength, and wealth, but it lost that or some of it over the years. The countries are still empires though, just no longer as strong and great as they once were.

In fiction, the popular or well-known fiction, there aren’t many using emperor or empire in a setting where it is called for and can be blatantly seen. Kings conquer lands and grow their kingdom into a vast empire, ruling no longer as a king but an emperor which is higher than a king. Unless they are Great Kings, but even still that would fall under the imperil category of some sorts.

The ruler of Nazra-Eradelia, I used the title King, but honestly he could be an emperor. But his situation is tricky, because he didn’t conquer the five other kingdoms, they formed an alliance of sorts.

I think about A Song of Ice and Fire, and how that could be the Targaryens (oops) could be an imperial family in a way. The same with Robert Baratheon, who ruled the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros. He could be considered an emperor of sorts. Correct me if I am wrong though.

I don’t know, maybe I am over thinking it!
Anyone got an answer for me?

Also, thoughts and feelings?

2 Likes

@NotARussianBot
@SecretDurham
@MatthewJH
@HKelle
@alenatenjo
@JojoDahlia
@Akje

What are your thoughts on what I am trying to get at?

I don’t know, maybe you are overthinking it? The difference between kingdom and empire has never seemed all that important to anyone except male rulers with insecurity issues concerning their masculinity, like the ancient Romans, Napoleon, etc. Queen Victoria ruled over an empire but she never called herself empress. Is the ruler of your empire a male?

1 Like

Thanks. I can breathe a little.

Yes, but honestly, there were females too. So, it doesn’t always make it a male monarch. That also implies to the Sovereignty of Alagossia. The title sovereign is gender-neutral, yet there are more female Sovereign than male from the Naivin bloodline. That doesn’t change the fact that the first Sovereign was indeed a woman, but any male deemed worthy in the eyes of the court can take the throne, same with females.

1 Like

I have both.

Kingdoms of Men Elves and Dwarves, but Olban is indeed an Empire. The rule of Olban stretched for many hundreds of miles in the North-eastern regions of Arillion. There were many Cities that became dissolved into the Great Imperial City of Olban when the First War against the Sorcerers ended.

As such Olban began to grow as each city became bound to the “Great Build” as it was called. The construction of the Wall of Olban began one hundred years after the Fall of Mundhlor, and took almost one thousand years to complete.

Behind that vast construction the many cities of the Empire dwelt in harmony for almost five thousand years… Then the age of deception began. Bloodlines of Men and Elves were mingled, and each house of the bound cities began to wonder if they themselves did not warrant a greater leadership within Olban’s inner court…

And so began the “Kin Slaying” as it was known there after, when house against house would fall to deception, and lies skilfully crafted, did create a web of mistrust. House after house fell into history as nameless heirs secretly devised a coop. And the bloody avengement brought Olban to it’s very knees…

Unity was long vanquished, and a single house rose from the ashes to rule the once Great Empire… The House of Dea… But it was not to last…

SD

1 Like

Quick Question: Is your story in sublet similarity to Lord of the Rings?

No… My story is mine alone, though I do indeed feel that I may be influenced by JRR Tolkien, it is a tale of my own creation, and not a telling of Fan Fic of Middle Earth.

SD

That is what I actually meant. :sweat_smile:

1 Like