A Guide on How to Write POC

I agree. Relying to use only one description gets tiring to read. I know in one of the links I have in my first post, they give many ways to describe Asian eyes which is find super helpful.

I rarely see Caucasian eyes described as much as Asian eyes aside from eye colour. People never describe a white person’s eye shape which really confuses me.

2 Likes

Really good authors describe eye shape lol.

2 Likes

dying

2 Likes

oRbS.

2 Likes

:darkbunnylord:

![|hewwo](upload://oM1eG7zqtmWgmlQLIWlaT9twpAW.png)

3 Likes

Research is key usually. Just which sources you find will vary in stuff

1 Like

I feel that’s when you should analyzing the sources itself too, I’ll sound a lot like a university professor but you’ll have to look at the background of the author and the publisher (if there is one). The ethnicity of the author of the article you’re researching in, are they well off, are they aware of current events or something like that. It’s also worth getting (a) sensitivity reader(s) too if you’re going through the editing process. If there’s a reoccurring issue that pops up when reading your story that means it should be addressed.

I know the topic of race is like stepping on eggshells often but casual representation is great too. Just establishing that a main character is Asian, African American, or whatever you want to use and going with that really does a lot.

I will also be in the camp of having some stereotypes are alright because stereotypes have a grain of truth to them and are exaggerated. So long as the character has goals, has a 3D personality, and aren’t just there for tokenism then it’s great.

2 Likes

And that’s great! I think it boils down to just writing a good character.

Now if someone was writing a struggle story with a POC character then it gets super complicated.

1 Like

I saw this, and naturally I thought: ’but what if they are food?’.

I wanted to write a short story with a figurine made out of chocolate.

Except the reader doesn’t know that said person is made of chocolate until the end.

How do I not make it offensive while still using food descriptions for the corresponding chocolate statue?

Do I add a warning before the story?

1 Like

There’s a link with descriptors in the first post to describe skin. You could probably go with other characteristics of chocolate for the character as well. The smell of chocolate or even have it reflect in the personality. If it’s very obvious and literal in the beginning that the person is literally made of chocolate I think they would be an exception to the rule but it begs the question: Is the character actually POC?

Warning wouldn’t be necessary I think.

2 Likes

Chocolate is not a person, so I’d say no.

4 Likes

Thanks. I was thinking of the warning anyway, but I don’t know how to phrase it.

It’s set in a museum and a figure of a famous POC, probably Maya Angelou.

But the problem is that I want to describe them like a human, then gradually add other things that hint at their foodiness. They are made to ’look’ like a POC and are actually brown.

At one point, their arm melts, so the mc has to eat it or be covered in liquefied chocolate.

2 Likes

I just say various shades of brown. Light brown, dark brown, warm brown, etc., etc.

2 Likes

So long as it fits your style.

2 Likes

:darkbunnylord:

3 Likes

:thecuteststar:

3 Likes

:coffee:

3 Likes

:partying_face:

2 Likes

Boop

1 Like

What eyes you all are talking about? There are only OrBs!!!

3 Likes