A Guide on How to Write POC

Omfg :joy:

3 Likes

Am I lying? :joy::joy::joy: They are always orbs, exotic, surreal coloured orbs- green, grey, blue, red, purple, pink, orange, yellow, neon- orbs everywhereā€‹:joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Definitely not XDD It solves all the eye description drama

2 Likes

Exactly- the orba are the only thing which can describe the personality- all rounder orbsā€‹:joy::rofl:

3 Likes

Yes :joy:

2 Likes

:darkbunnylord:

2 Likes

This is a very good resource!

2 Likes

:beautifulheart: :darkbunnylord:

2 Likes

I think what confuses me the most is when people describe a black person smiling and go ā€˜his teeth shone startlingly white against his dark skin.ā€™
The first time I read that, I decided to observe my family talking and smiling, and we all have really dark skin, and itā€™s not, like, my eyes were drawn to their teeth becuase they shone oh so starkly white against their skin.
Maybe itā€™s because Iā€™m used to being around dark people? I donā€™t know, is that what people notice when they see a black person smile for the first time?

4 Likes

It sounds like the people in those books must of had really unnaturally white teeth to me. Like toothpaste commercial white

3 Likes

Thank you! Thatā€™s a huge confusion cleared :joy:

I think what people are missing is that theyā€™re trying to create a diverse character, but without any diversity. Thereā€™s so much more to POC than just the colour of their skin. Iā€™ve always wondered when Iā€™d find a book talking about other aspects weā€™re proud ofā€¦like why canā€™t we know that someone is African because they braid their hair? Itā€™s such a huge part of us, but I always find little to no mention of it.

4 Likes

Agreed. Like for Asian characters I find people focus too much on the eyes.

I agree with this. Like there are small cultural things too. For example, an Asian household would emphasize on taking your shoes off at the door before entering the rest of the home.

3 Likes

I found this, I havenā€™t read through it entirely yet but Iā€™m putting it here before I forget

4 Likes

Using this resource for my ONC wip :eyes: I found myself coming back to it a couple times lol

2 Likes

Nice!

2 Likes

gentle boop :inkcatdragon:

3 Likes

Re-reading the post I forgot to add a negative where I meant ā€œit does NOT stop the person being offendedā€ in reference of being called nimrod

1 Like

True there really is so much an author can use as a character trait for a black person but then again most people seem to narrow it down to it being just the skin colour ish. In my country the term ā€˜colouredā€™ is not offensive (most take pride in it, their own uniqueness Iā€™d assume) just a description of the POC, but Iā€™ve come to realize to some people its offensive and that proves a struggle when describing one or so of my characters being such.

6 Likes

Thanks this has really helped to getting down on describing POC characters in my storiesšŸ‘

5 Likes

Found a new resource. This is more focused on tropes and portrayals as opposed to physical describing but I think it has a place here and Iā€™ll add it to the OP too

5 Likes