Amazon Oddities

I have no words to describe this but the reviews are entertaining.

2 Likes

I’ve seen this before somewhere, and it’s always struck me as funny since there are no scriptures against using contraceptives.

There are a lot of products on Amazon with funny reviews, like the Tuscan milk, the uranium, and whatnot…but now that the customer discussion forums and listopias were removed, I can’t find most of them anymore. /sob

2 Likes

There’s an entire rabbit hole of books with cures for Herpes listed on Amazon

2 Likes

God told Adam and Eve to “be fruitful and multiply”, but Adam and Eve were the first humans ever, so that doesn’t directly apply to modern-day humans.

2 Likes

Yes, and if you only have one child you’ve still been fruitful and you’ve multiplied. He didn’t say breed like a rabbit and destroy the earth with your progeny. ¯\_(ﭢ)_/¯

2 Likes

There is actually a story about God getting mad at this one guy because he kept pulling out when he was expected to knock up his late brother’s wife. I forget the exact Book, Chapter, and Verse. I’ll have to look it up, but that one story is pretty much the whole basis of the no contraceptives thing as I understand it.

3 Likes

It’s the Catholic (and Quiverfull) view and it’s based on an understanding of a specific set of texts.

And this is going to be a lot of explanation…

Psalm 139:15-16 GNT

When my bones were being formed, carefully put together in my mother’s womb, when I was growing there in secret, you knew that I was there— you saw me before I was born. The days allotted to me had all been recorded in your book, before any of them ever began.

Jeremiah 1:5

Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.

Now, if there is a Creator God who is omniscient, YES He would know you before an egg is fertilized. That is not a hard concept to follow.

But such an all-powerful God doesn’t need you to stay available to have children in order for a kid to be conceived. There is a failure rate on every single thing used as a preventative, and I mean literally everything that you could think of to prevent childbirth has been circumvented. A specific person born for an appointed time does not require you stay fertile 24-7.

Now, there are some huge caveats with this:

Genesis 1:28

God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”

The first command given to man in that record is about reproductivity belonging to God, not to man. And it makes sense if there is a Creator. A Creator is the one ultimately responsible for all creation, even reproductivity.

But as it’s given as a command, that means that man has some control given to them about their offspring.

That has some extrapolation:

1. You can fail God when it comes to children.
  2. You don’t have to have children all the time. Your having quality not just quantity.
  3. As you’re not wholly in control, God can “fail” you. The birth of some children is beyond what their parents can handle, for various reasons. It’s not all yours to order.

So, when I had my 3rd child, my quality of production went down: started having health issues towards the end, that are likely to increase with each child.

My decision was a Tubal Ligation, and bluntly told my doctor’s that only an act of God would give me a 4th kid. It was the least invasive out of the most permanent methods.

As it was, with PCOS, I couldn’t conceive until my 30s, and couldn’t carry to term until mid 30s, so there was a lot of factors out of my control to even have kids.

But for some people, they see this as a “be available for every child” type of command. Most of us don’t see it that way, but more are in the pile of: once a child is there, you don’t rebel. Self-steralization is the only one that is fully choice, everything else just ensures you’re a cash cow for the medical industry.

But as far as worrying about those who have 8+ kids: most nations who decide to have that many children due to a Christian worldview of some sort are already in a decline (anything below a 2.3 kids per couple or 1.15 kids per adult). Having 8-20 kids isn’t increasing the population in those nations, and should no longer worry anyone who is thinking we’re going to overpopulate.

2 Likes

The author doesn’t seem to consider these points at all. She seems to think being in a constant state of pregnancy is a good thing.

I’ve never had a kid, but it would be very hard to be pregnant all the time.

1 Like

That’s Onan, and has to do with Kinsman Redeemer stuff:

The point was that the first brother died without an heir.
So the 2nd son was given to her to have a replacement for the lost husband’s inheritance, as an agreement between the families on division of rights.
Onan refused to allow his brother’s portion to live on and would pull out to ensure that he got a bigger check out of his dad’s death AND ensure that the woman didn’t have kids to lean on for her “social security”.

So he died for breaking a contract between the families.

3rd son is underage. Dad’s starting to side-eye this woman like she’s the one who killed both his boys. He sends her back to her family (where she no longer has financial rights) under the promise that they’re going to take care of her (within the tradition) once the younger son is old enough.

Judah (dad) never gets her to finish the contract.
So, she hears that he’s visiting her area, and dresses up as a hooker, idiot dad falls for it, she takes his belongings as promise of payment, goes home, and is pregnant.

Her parents decide that she should be offed, but calls in her father-in-law because there’s a contract between the families. She give him his stuff back hooker time…

And Judah declares her more righteous than him because she managed to fulfill the contract without his family doing right by her. She has twins, replaces the inheritance of the 1st and 2nd son, is taken care of for life, and doesn’t have to sleep with any of these idiots anymore.

Pretty smart woman, for the limits of her era.

2 Likes

It’s asking for you to risk your life, not raise your own kids. Part of having children is being responsible for them until they are adults. I mean, you can’t always prevent early death, but there are more factors than just “priming the pumps” to consider. And that’s why most Christians aren’t against contraception altogether: even many who won’t do it for themselves.

2 Likes