An exercize in Characterization and Description

OOh makes sense! They seem like fun characters!

2 Likes

Thanks!

Jon, Stella, and Eddie are all part of the same team, btw. I think from the snippets you can tell who gets along better with whom :joy:

2 Likes

Lol I think Stella and Jon get along pretty well, and then Eddie and Jon are sorta friends, but I don’t see Eddie and Stella happening…
Am I right?

2 Likes

You’re right about the first part. It’s the other way around: Stella and Eddie get along better than Eddie and Jon, but the pair with the “easiest” dynamic are Jon and Stella. Eddie’s best when he’s alone :joy:

1 Like

Ooh. Well, I got some part right :grinning:
I do see Eddie loving alone time, for sure, though!

1 Like

Yeah, I’m sorry for the tenses changing so often. It’s something I have trouble with, and usually have to go back and edit several times (super annoying, lol) but I sorta just jotted this down quickly and moved on.

2 Likes

It’s no problem, just wanted to point it out. Many of my friends also struggle with it!

1 Like

ofc, reading it back i sound a little cold haha, but really it’s fine i truly appreciate the correction :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Excercise 3:

Description for the visually impaired

There are two mounds in the foreground - could be mountains or sand dunes. Behind them is a bride, behind which there are more mountains, over which grow various coniferous trees. At the horizon, there is a castle, partly hidden behind another dune / mountain. It’s top is silhouetted by the moom, and crows fly away from it.

Was meant to go up on Sunday. Sorry it’s late. I’ll be back with my answers soon!

2 Likes

It’s a bit late because I saw it yesterday and lost the tab, but I haven’t written anything in ages, so… why not c:

(seeing the new prompt just as I finished this one so I may or may not come back for that one ahaha)

Walter

As we arrived upon the peak at last, the humidity had grown so thick that it could choke. Its grip around my chest was so strong that, even as I collapsed spread-eagled on the grassy cliff plateau, I felt as though I were still climbing, fighting for every breath. The air tasted so different to that of the salty ocean trades I’d grown accustomed to. Here it felt untouched and pure, as if each breath were a wisp of cloud, fed in slivers that left one wanting for more.
After lying for some time among my companions, the aggravating thinness of the air gradually became more tolerable and I found the strength to rise unto my elbows and lift my head to gather my bearings. My breath caught again, all adjustment lost to the surreal wonder of where we had landed.
We lay in the long shadow of a winding wooden giant whom stretched his bows high into gray clouds and held them open to yellow sky with gnarled green-feathered fingers. Pale light filtered through the leaves to cast the land in a dappled glow highlighted by soft and scattered crepusculence. This giant was nothing like the pine trees of Amity, nor the rare oaks I had observed along the dusted roads of my homeland. Its size alone was parallel to no other living thing on this Earth.
In a puddle of golden light a lone silhouette stood dwarfed on a mossy outcrop before the spiral trunk, held at a distance from its ancient bark by a wide crossing of clouds. The stone entrance, ruins of some culture unknown to us, stood like the jaw of a beast between the clouded passage and the object that watched over us all. Two fangs jutted on either side of the archway, chipped and eroded with time and conditioning.
Beside me, Professor Woods was scratching a piece of charcoal across the pages of his journal, held firmly between wrist and elbow. “If all else turns out to be for naught,” he muttered, tapping the charcoal once with purpose, “at the very least, we shall have mushrooms.”

Simon

Why we all had to climb such a length, I will never understand nor forgive. With a deep and vulnerable loathing of my rasping and swollen lungs, I knelt in the grass and doubled over to press my forearms against my dusty trousers and gasp for a while. The air was wafer thin. It was as suitable for human consumption as kerosene fumes, and just as deadly. In the library in Amity, I had read of great climbers, and all great climbers were trained to condition themselves before attempting heights as staggering as these. But, would the captain listen when I suggested we pause at an outcrop halfway to this peak to acclimatize? He only laughed.
I watch his boots carry on ahead, and peer through my fingers at his face and his chest. If he were struggling as much as the rest of us, he gave no sign. He drifted easily onwards, swaying casually like a sailor and rolling his head to see it all. It all; one great congregation of clouds, broken only by the gaping tear high above where the canopy of a towering tree broke apart the gray wisps to let in the sunlight. In our dome of grey, the pale yellow streaks blended out into a dull and uninspiring glow. It was enough to see by through the fog of my spectacles, but not much more.
The captain stood alone in the sharpest puddle of light, cast in a golden color that seemed holy or symbolic on the shoulders of such a bold and unstoppable man. And yet, his greatness appeared small and insignificant beneath the staggering height of the jagged bonsai before him. His history seemed a blank slate compared to the richness of the the ancient stone gates and arches that marked entrance to the sacred bows.
Though lightheaded and dizzy, I carefully picked myself up and stepped forward to better light. I cleaned my spectacles with my handkerchief and drew my journal from my coat. While the journey was more than I had bargained for and the captain’s desires here gained me nothing, the history and seclusion of this land was interesting and deserved to be documented.
With a piece of charcoal I began sketching the twisting trunk of the tree ahead, followed by the long stones that framed it between the toothed gates. As I squinted through the clouds, I noticed a familiar series of pale lumps clumped around the base of the tree. Briefly, I smiled. Then, I scribbled these, too. Mushrooms. Perhaps a better meal than I’d had in months.
Walter moved in the corner of my eye, still on the ground.
“If all else turns out to be for naught,” I muttered, as much to myself as to him, “at the very least, we shall have mushrooms.”

2 Likes

Okay this is great! I directly felt the difference in voice between the two, and that’s commendable!

1 Like

Hooray! That is great to hear, thank you! :>

1 Like

About this thread, write about what my characters see when they look at the picture you post, correct?

1 Like

Of course!

Yup! Just a way to see how different characters will see different things and place emphasis on different scenes.

2 Likes

Yikes! Sorry I missed a post. But here’s the next one! (better late than never, right?)

Description

Red and blue fire interact with each other and embers float around.

My answers:

Sara

It was hot. But she couldn’t take her eyes away from it. A burst of blue and purple, red and orange, dancing, fighting, playing. Her hand reached out towards it, as if to burst the bubbles that rose like the backup dancers - their only job to bring her focus to the main attraction.
She didn’t move, mesmerized by the beauty as the lead dancers climbed over her sari, her blouse and consumed her.
It would be a fitting end for her, she thought.

Malika

It was beautiful. Stunning, even. But too hot. It burned, steadily and surely, fighting with its’ cousin in blue. And she tried to run from it, but her eyes still burned with that image in mind - even though she was far, far away from it, now. The colors, the shine, the dance. It was much more real, more true, than anything in her life. And it had made her heart race.

1 Like

A two in one:

Rachael, on Nathaniel's mental connection:

Man, having your mate share his thoughts with you is a trippy deal when they aren’t fully awake. I don’t see images when I think, but his brain is awash with words and colors and things and people.

Right now, he’s dwelling on his emotional state and not even fully awake enough to notice he’s open to me like this. It’s trippy: bedsheets waving in a void, colors changing as they flow. And people, how he thinks about people brings up these little red sprites that snarl in the sheets. It took me a while, but I finally gathered that red is rage, and while blue is usually sad, for him it was calm. Something about what is going on between us and the pack is making him mad as hell while his natural Alpha leadership is ordering him to calm the heck down and assess the situation.

What the heck is he dreaming about to feel like this?

Nathaniel, reading back on it:

Man, I’m going to have to watch how open I am in the morning. She’s going to catch me having some weird sex dream with goldfish dancing in the background or something even stranger than that and think it’s something serious.

But I remember that day because she was anxious about it for a good half the morning, for no reason. I just dreamed that Barlen stole my pizza and everyone else decided on playing a game of “keep away from the Alpha”. I was awake enough to know the dream wasn’t real, and the Alpha in me wouldn’t tolerate that anyway. But dreams are stupid, so I was telling my ass to calm down before I disturbed a very pregnant Luna with this dumb thing.

Too bad I was already too late for that.

But it’s not bedsheets. It’s that old program on computers that you play music on and the weird squiggles generate to the beat. When I say the pack’s main laptop is old, I mean it was one step from crashing before we replaced the dinosaur.

2 Likes
Urainia

Nightfall makes everything purple. The moon glowed behind the grand castle, giving it an otherworldly feeling.

Umbrum

It was dusk, which meant it was dark, but not dark enough. The full moon decided assault my eyeballs with its yellowish light.

2 Likes

Oooh wow, both of them sound really interesting!

Interesting! You’ve managed to bring out their characters through such short snippets, great job!

1 Like

It’s fun playing those two off each other because he’s such a “simple man”. And she’s definitely got a temper.

2 Likes

oooh sounds really interesting!

1 Like