An exercize in Characterization and Description

Thank you. Urainia is all “ooo pretty colors” and Umbrum is just “LIGHT! MY EYES ARE MELTING!”.
I guess that’s what happens when you have characters who have sensory disorders.

1 Like

Oof, I’m late to this, hope you don’t mind :joy:

For the castle prompt:

Jon

Though Jon knew for a fact that he was not in a Disney movie, it felt very much like he was in a Disney movie. Or a fantasy film. Or a fairy tale. Whatever it was, the sight of the castle inspired awe in him. It was the most magnificent sight, how its spires seemed to pierce the clouds, casting a sharp shade as it gathered much of the sunlight for itself. The path to it was long, but bright and open, like a pair of a host’s arms warmly welcoming travelers. A host. Would he be received well if he were to visit it? He hoped so. There was no fence surrounded the castle as far as he could see.

He could only imagine the grandeur of its interior. Actually, he did not need to imagine. He set one foot in front of him and began his stroll.

Arden

note: Arden is from another story

The first thing Arden thought of when she caught sight of the stately home was if anybody lived there. She had castles—yes, plural—and only truly resided in one of them. The rest were land decorations—very expensive land decorations that once served as something more useful. She scrutinized it from a far. It had a flag. It was not the flag of a settlement nor state. A coat of arms? It could be a coat of arms. Her own family had their own insignia, but they never displayed it in such a flaunting manner.

She took a step closer. There was no fence. She furrowed her brows. What kind of castle had no fence? Were the homeowners, if there were any, not worried about robbers or foes who would besiege the house, given the chance? Even if the castle was built in the safest land, she could not fathom one without a barrier, a layer of protection, a border that drew the line between what was public and private. The lack of a fence did mean that the castle’s beauty could be seen by all, and she had to admit, it was beautiful. Its warm colors were brought out by the sunlight that fell on them, and its majestic structure had a commanding presence over the land.

Arden took a step forward and made her way towards the castle.

2 Likes

Oooh, fire!

Is it okay if it’s two different situations but they both involve red and blue fire, because I have two characters who control fire so :joy:

Eddie

He closed his eyes, leaned his head back, and soaked in the searing heat that surged through him. His hands curled into fists. The knuckles were turning white—for a different reason than typical.

He inhaled, held his breath, then unleashed the raging storm within.

Red and blue blazed from his hands and engulfed the world around him. Waves of heat devoured everything in their path, like savages set loose.

He commanded them with a gesture. Stop, he ordered, and they obeyed. With careful movements of his hands, he guided them around him, weaving an intricate pattern of vermillion and azure in the air. He raised a forearm. They rose. Then they fell. Then they encircled him in a ring, like a protective shield. They were no longer doom and destruction, but beauty and creation.

People always wondered why he was so good at controlling fire. Fire was impulsive and wild; he was a planner with self-control. Control. That was what made him a master of the flames; what good is a fire-wielder if he cannot tame his own flames? That being said, he and his fire did share two things in common: intensity and passion.

And now, away from unwanted eyes, he unleashed both.

Edin

note: Edin is from another story

A wave of red surged towards Edin. He countered it with a blue blaze of his own.

When the flames died down, he made more. Streams of fiery lapis lazuli, the color of his eyes, blazed from his fingertips. He thrust. His fire rolled across the room, only to clash against a wall of vermillion.

And it repeated in a relentless cycle. Brother against brother, fire against fire, sealed in a battle where one would either burn or be burned. His flames grew fiercer, as did his opponent’s fire. The embers that flew around them were golden, like his hair. Not that he paid attention to them. He was too focused on the incoming barrage of red fireballs that could devour him if he didn’t counter them quickly enough.

His legs trembled from fatigue. He saw another wave of raging red. He sent another blue blaze to counter it. He gasped.

The vermillion flare overpowered his own.

2 Likes

Can I post a prompt of my own?

1 Like

Yes!

1 Like

New Prompt!

2 Likes

Ooh both of them are really interesting! Is Arden the same one from Blood will tell?

Yup! Anything is totally fine as long as you remember to experiment!

Eddie and Edin are really interesting too! Also, is that Damon I see?

2 Likes

Thanks! :smiley:

And yup, that’s the same Arden.

Phew, that’s good to know XD

Yup, that is :eyes:

2 Likes
Harvold Twelvthborn from The Fairways Empire

Poppies…why Poppies? Harvold knew he would wander into the house, eventually. His…brother would be in there. It was a trap–most everything has been a trap so far. And he could feel the pull of it from here.

The marks the demon gave him itched fiercely, settling in the grooves of his unrest. That, and his staff kept pulling away from facing the house. Told him all he needed to know about the deceitfulness of what he saw in front of his face.

But on the whole, everything was expected but the field of flowers. Opiates. He plucked a few of the flowers, whole from the ground and shoved them into his sack before striding to meet this peculiar bout of destiny.

Broadside

Athelai wrinkled her nose as they crested the next low rise. "I thought you said the outskirts of your kingdom were farms. "

The prince at her side laughed. She knew better than to look at him. For all that she was charmed against this ability of his, some little bit of it would leech through. While she was accustomed to the base pull of attraction he held in those moments, she didn’t enjoy it all that much.

Of course, the half-dozen female warriors at their back noticed the change in him and were tittering like they didn’t chop up men on battlefields.

Why, oh why did he have to have that ability?

“The flowers are the harvest. Look under the head of the flowers and you’ll see scars from sap collection.”

“But why leave the heads?”

“Well, early ones are nipped off for sap, but the seeds are collected as well as the sap. The sap helps people endure surgery and the seeds are a spice, those that aren’t used to grow next seasons flowers, that is.”

“But why…”

“Outskirts of the kingdom, could fall in battles with neighboring kingdoms? Less of a long investment crop, good to grow during the warring months for not hiding a whole army’s approach. Ridiculously expensive medicine for the years the crop successfully grows–to seed is just a bonus. And if some idiot sets fire to the field, their men get a lungfull of that stuff, and we just clean up the aftermath without a fight.”

“Why? Does it leave them addelheaded?”

“Some, I guess. But those tending the fires get too much of the flower in their system, often die from it. These things are resistant to flames until after seeding.”

“So, how do they get rid of what remains?”

“They set the cows loose im the field. A very peculiar cheese is made from milk, that month.”

1 Like

I finally have time to do this :joy: I’ll start from the first, if that’s okay. I need to figure out the voicing — been a while since I wrote anything directly character-related — but I’ll be back soon!

This is a really cool idea Swarali! <3 Very helpful

3 Likes

Oops, I missed this for some reason!

Sara

A faint breeze rustled through the pleats on her saree, pulling her hair loose from the bun she’d hastily put up. All around here were grasses with the occassional ceremonial red flowers clusturing through the meadows. In the distance, smalls peaks rose, near which stood a tiny cottage.
It had been so long since she’d been here.

Malika

The noises were distracting. The wind, running through her saree, blowing it over parts of her body that wasn’t used to feeling cloth against it. Her hair kept getting into her eyes, her mouth, generally blowing all over. It was going to be a pain to get those tangles out, later. Grasses tickled her feet, the sensation alien and irritating.
On the horizon stood a cottage, behind which lay tiny hills. Insignificant, just like the entire meadow.
But it was now her home.

1 Like

I find that your characters have a better relationship with poppies and rural settings than @J.L.O.'s.

1 Like

Take your time! It is pretty time-intensive.

And thank you! Been trying to get to making this thread for a while!

1 Like

Ah. One of them is no stranger to rural settings, and to quaint / poor settings. And the other is used to luxury, although she has to let go of that by the end of the story. Can you guess which is which? (if you can, mission accomplished by my side!)

1 Like

I think that Sara is the country girl here. Malika seems to be more bothered by the wind.

1 Like

Yes! Sara’s also used to luxury, but she got stripped of it just a while before the story begins, and Malika has never known anything but the utmost luxury, so she doesn’t really enjoy the little things.

1 Like

Uploading this one early because I’m going to be MIA over the weekend, probably!

My answers:

Sara

The sand tickled her feet, getting into the tiny crevices between her toes even as the shallow waves washed it away. The pleasant cool of the water was refreshing, and she pulled up her saree to wade in deeper.
The water was liberating, especially combined with the strong mist enveloping the area. She knew no one would see her here, and she was free to do whatever she wanted. Free to dance her heart out, with the water helping her lift her feet and shaping her body to be elegant as she had always wanted. Free to live her life in peace, with the person who she adored with everything in her.
“I love you,” Sara said.
“Me too.”

Malika

Her partner had waded into the water, despite the cold. Malika shivered as she followed her, laughing at the childlike enthusiasm Sara displayed; just like the kid she had known and fallen in love with, years ago.
“I love you,” Sara said.
“Me too,” Malika replied.
And as the moon rose from behind the mountains reaching for the sky, Malika smiled.
Sara was finally feeling like herself again.

1 Like

I saw it loading and expected it to be a battleship, lol

1 Like
Urainia

I thought that beaches were supposed to be sunny and bright! It looked like Umbrum designed it. Grey-blue sky, black mountains, black sand, the water was the same grey-blue as the sky. It was pretty in its own gloomy way and certainly unique. Some complained of cold but I couldn’t feel it. I can never feel cold or hot.

Umbrum

Black sand, black mountains, blue sky, blue water. Now I know what paradise looks like. Perfect temperature, too.

2 Likes

Next time!
And your character descriptions are great, as always!

1 Like