An exercize in Characterization and Description

Sorry this comes late!

Sara

She was just a child, entranced with the wonders of the world. Get rid of the world’s projection, Sara wanted to say, the world hates people like you. You’re too pure for this world.
But the words were stuck in her throat, and her eyes were tearing up, and the grace in the girl’s hand was blurring into a haze of her past, it’s edges frayed by fire.
A tear fell out of her left eye.

Malika

The child was happy, her eyes filled with wonder at the grace showing itself in her hands. Oh, how happy she looked. How innocent. And Malika smiled, the girl before her transforming into someone she had once known. A woman who entranced her. Who still held her heart.
A woman who had once found joy in the little things.
A woman whose innconce the world had taken away.
A woman who she loved.
Before her sat the younger Sara. The one she had first met.

1 Like

Ooof, I’m quite late to this :sweat_smile:

Jon

The land was still, and silent, as though time did not exist. Jon looked around him. There was nobody else around him, as far as his coffee brown eyes could see. It was so quiet. He was not used to it. Back home, he resided in a small apartment, clustered with other small apartments, stacked on top of shops and straddled between busy city streets. There was none of that. Just silence.

Jon waded through the sea of flowers. They were vermillion and golden, two very bold colors, and their petals brushed his legs as he trudged through them. He let his hands hang by his hips, dipping into the petals below. Soft. And silent. And sweet-smelling. Their scents diffused through the air, like sugar dissolving in a cup of hot coffee, and he took it in. Sweet and silent. Not like the exhaust-filled city air he was familiar with. Sweet and silent.

Up ahead were two small houses. Orange were their roofs, and their walls were a shade of off-white. Age had colored the once-white walls—he supposed they were initially white—like coffee stains on a mug that hadn’t been washed. Even from afar, the house seemed silent. Still and silent. Not like the bustling apartments he grew alongside, was raised in. No. Still, silent, and separate from the rest of humanity. How lonely, he thought. Maybe they would like some company.

But was anyone else inside?

Jon took another step forward, the ground crunching underneath his sole, breaking the stuffy silence that he was not accustomed to.

Stella

It reminded her of those fine art paintings of peaceful landscapes. Her eyes drifted from one side to the other. Yes, it was like a landscape painting. Her serene surroundings were soft and sleepy, the windless air lulling her with its noiseless lullaby. How nice it would be to rest here! It was not like the restless Rome, so chaotic and cacophonous. No, this place was quiet, perfect for an afternoon nap.

There were flowers all around her. She bent down and picked one up. A nice flower it was, bright red, and it had a sweet aroma. She sniffed it. Its scent was sweet, like honey. Of course. The flower made honey—no, not directly, but by giving its nectar to the bees. Bees. She withdrew the flower from her nose, although there was no danger. She heard not the slightest buzz. The noisiest noise was the slight ah and ha of her breathing.

She carried the flower with two fingers as she paced towards the little houses. The tiles on the roofs were orange, like brick, or the color of fire crackling in a fireplace. That must be the farmer’s house, she supposed. The one who planted all these flowers must be living there. She could imagine they lived a quiet life. A slow life. She could picture the farmer lounging languidly on a chair, watching through the windows, while the wind blew onto the flowers. Would they accept a guest? She hoped so. There was no other shelter as far as she could see, nor any other person to offer her shelter.

She lifted one foot and swung it over the ground, careful to not stomp on any small plants as much as she could. The farmer wouldn’t be happy if she trampled over their plants.

2 Likes

Oooh, a black beach with clouds overhead.

Jon

All his life, Jon thought beaches were sunny and bright and fun.

Not this one. This was scary.

Jon stared at the wet sand beneath his feet. They were grains of charcoal beneath him, black and hot. The waves washed over them, and for a moment, they were ink.

In front of him was a small mountain—or a large hill. He didn’t know the difference. Its imposing presence towered over him, wearing a crown of clouds on its jagged head. It was black, like the sand, except it was not at the mercy of the waves. It was above the waves. It was unmoving. It was sharp, its stark silhouette carving into the sky, and he did not like it. It was frightening.

Then the sea. The sea was wide open, like he had always known, but the dark blue sky above it made him quiver. It was a dangerous sea. Truth be told, all seas were dangerous, but some were safer than others. The absence of light instilled a sense of foreboding in him. Yet, it was also silly. He shouldn’t be scared of water. He could control water. He could command it. He could cause the waves to rise and order them to crash, or send them rolling far away from him. He could even breathe underwater. Yet, he was not afraid of the water. It was the thing lurking within the water, the unknown, that he was less optimistic of. He feared what the water brought, not the water itself.

Well of course. No wonder this beach was empty. Black sand, dark sky, heavy clouds—this was not a vacation spot. Yet here he was. He wasn’t here for a vacation, though.

The waves roared and crashed at his feet, hissing as it reached to the shore before pulling back. He stood still, like the mountain beside him.

Arden

The sea beckoned to her with its rolling waves. She paid them no heed—not now, at least.

She surveyed the land first. It was empty. Devoid of life. Not even a plant had made its home here. At least that meant that she would not be disturbed here; it appeared that no living thing had any interest in nearing this place. The sand beneath her was fine, like the smallest grains of sugar, yet they were clumped tightly together so that she didn’t sink into the wet soil. She tilted her head as she looked at the black grains crunching beneath her feet. Black, like her hair. A unique shade.

Then the mountain. Time had carved it, rather haphazardly, resulting in its uneven scalp. In spite of its rough head, it stood proud over the land, watching over the sea like a guardian. She could tell that the rock was strong and solid. She could carve it to her liking, set a post or a new home on it. Or into it. It was possible. She could build a new hideaway there. Then, if she needed to escape from the bustle and hassle of her regular life, she could slip away here, unbothered.

Then the sea. It was empty, like the land it lapped at. It did not appear stormy; not now, at least, but she did not worry about it. Her enchantments could withstand even the most violent tsunamis. Though the clouds cast a faint shadow over the vast blue, she could imagine using her light magic to shoo them away, and what would remain would be sparkling turquoise, glittering with flecks of golden sunlight, or shimmering with silver moonlight. The sea would be her companion, if she needed it to be.

Magic shot out of her fingertips as she drew two arcs with her hand. A symbol marked the mountain. X marked the spot.

2 Likes

I have terrible network where I am for the next few days, so the next update will come on Sunday!

Sara

She looked up at the sun shining over the arch, her feet deep in the water. Malika walked up the bridge above, and waved to Sara. Sara laughed.
“Get down here!”

Malika

The trees hid the arch from view perfectly, creating a little space for the two of them, with no civilization visible from the top of the stone bridge. She smiled, waving at Sara basking in the sun below.
“Get down here!” Sara laughed.

2 Likes

@NotARussianBot Your request is finally here!

Sara

It loomed over her in the choppy waters, it’s presence imposing. Sara inhaled, her eyes gravitating towards Malika. Malika’s jaw was set, her eyes hardened. She walked to the dock, awaiting the ship.

Malika

The ship was impressive, its build strong. It steamed ahead through the choppy waters unaffected, not a person visible on its deck. They’d probably gone below with the strom’s arrival.
Negotiating would be a challenge, if they were this advanced.
But one she welcomed, if it would help her reach her goals.

2 Likes

This is someone completely different than before:

She was a beautiful battleship, large, imposing, and shooting up smoke the same color as the storm clouds. May those brave souls on deck return home in one piece.

2 Likes

I decided to take two characters from two different stories who live in similar eras to see a ship like that. They also have similar narcissistic personalities, but one is more grumpy than the other and both see people differently :wink:

Richard from "Alive At Crepusculum"

Richard gazed upon the monstrous construction that man built to rule the seas. If it was up to him, he would’ve preferred one with more wood, less metal, and less black smoke curdling up to the clouds like the ‘olden days’.

“Olden days to smoken days,” he muttered with a scowl, pulling his coat tighter around himself. Wrinkling his nose in disgust at having to spend weeks on the thing, he hoped there was at least a warm meal available on the ship, but such hopes would soon be dashed once on board, much to his disgruntlement. If it were up to Richard, he would captain the ship, not the bulge-nosed, short-fingered, captain with a drunken hiccup in his voice. Richard believed alcohol twisted a man’s thoughts and looked forward to a high chance of drowning at sea.

Jack from "Jack Of All Trades"

Jack lifted his mask and the cold rain fell on his face. For months he had been in the hot city of Birdsbury, more eager each day to escape and fill his lungs with ocean air. How such heavy metal floated atop the seas, he made a note to ask the captain, a fine chap Jack looked forward to meet. The captain had traveled the Seven Seas and visited exotic lands filled with maidens or golden treasure. Despite the man’s tendency to overexaggerate when drunk—which he often was—Jack had a hunch there was a pinch of truth there. If he made the captain his friend, soon he could come upon riches.

“Shine a light!” Jack said with a smile.

While writing this, I got the urge to write a fantasy story of a fantasy story where Richard and Jack meet.

2 Likes

ooh.
Richard seems like someone who would be unpleasant to meet. But Jack seems slightly more reasonable.

Oooh I feel ya!

2 Likes

I took this exercise to explore Pinti, a character I’ve been struggling to understand.

Pinti

Pinti watched the child Sorcerer expertly create a pool of light in her palms. A smile formed on the little girl’s face. Pinti held her breath as the light blossomed into a yellow flower. Sorcerery—that something she had always feared could be so beautiful in the hands of the pure was all new to her still. Not yet tainted by society’s darkness, it was almost a shame the little girl would grow up and see what the world had become.

The little girl looked up at Pinti.

“It’s pretty,” Pinti said and the little girl beamed. Her smile ignited a newfound determination in Pinti’s dark heart.

I want to protect her.

2 Likes

Richard’s mind is not a pleasant place, but his charisma will get you :wink:

2 Likes

I have to do this one. My MC Pandora is speaking to me. Idk if I did this right for this one. I kind of used it like a prompt, but also tried to describe the scene :stuck_out_tongue: Might have gotten a little carried away.

Pandora

Pandora broke into a run. The four towers. The castle on the hill. That was the one where her mother said she would be.

“Mammi!” Pandora called, shielding her eyes with her hand as the orange sun fell behind the castle, turning the sky purple. Slipping down the hill, Pandora tripped and fell. Quickly jumping to her feet, she raced for the bridge, ignoring the call of her brother behind her.

Trees were sparser here than where they came from. Chaos magick had ripped life from its roots, scattering the ashes upon the land. Pandora kicked up the dust as she pelted up and down the hills, puffing until she reached the winding dirt path.

“Mammi! I’m here. It’s Pandora!” she called. Pushing her legs up the remainder of the hill, she called up once again to the gates. “It is Pandora! Princess of Atlia. I’ve come!”

A startled flock of seagulls took to the sky, calling warnings to each other in frenzy. Now the light was fading, making Pandora’s shadow melt into the darkness behind. The dust settled. Seagull wails faded in the distance. A creak of chains against chains met her ears. Hands yanked her away and she fell on top of her brother. Claws scraped against the wooden drawbridge. Cracked, ashen faces appeared over the edge—Abyssians. It was a trap.

2 Likes

Hey, your exercise helped me figure out my character! :blush:

I know what matters to her now! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

I’d love to see people’s characters try to explain this! Believe it or not, this is art for a metal band!

3 Likes

Here’s my seventeen-year-old modern girl Eryn.

Eryn

“Stratovirus?” Eryn squinted her eyes at the poster. “Oh, not virus.” She laughed. “You want me to guess what it’s for?” It was fantasy alright. “Like dolphin fantasy,” she muttered, but it wasn’t her taste. The last she checked dolphins weren’t green.

Or yellow. Who ever heard of a yellow dolphin?

And she couldn’t quite place that symbol. She had seen it many times in different places. It reminded her of tall metal fences that had giant mansions looming in overgrown gardens, and of antiques and old-people things. Like something a grandmother would own—a symbol on her purse.

But nothing in Eryn’s mind linked antique purses to dolphins, or planets for that matter.

In the end, she gave up. “My brain hurts. What’s Stratovirus?”

2 Likes

I orginally tried writing this from Sara’s perspective, but turns out it fits Malika better.

Malika

Something drew her into the water, a soft pressure. As she waded deeper, she it could see it was an effect of the grace - a crystal, made entirely of water, hovering above the air, it’s shape fixed - like ice, and yet the water inside was liquid.
A fascinating phenomemon, really. She would like to meet the Graced who had created this, learn from them - because surely, it had to be a graced so expert at manipulating the elements. No human could have created this.
A blur suddenly shot through the crystal, it’s form obscured by the almost opaque water, and almost as quick, a creature shot out of the whirlpool in the leaf-like centre, a jet of water following it.
Malika smiled. Another creature jumped along the same path, following its green friend.
Overhead, she could see two huge bulbs, both encircled by smooth chakras, and a smaller bulb near the largest one. The world was large, infinite, and it was about time she saw more than just her empire.
About time for the both of them, Sara and herself.

1 Like
Niko

The gorgeous Stratovarius album cover shown a fantasical scene of golden dolphins swimming through a daytime blue sky full of stars and planets. In the middle was a crystal blue rippling fluer-de-lis that a dolphin was swimming out of.

“They’re only one of the greatest metal bands I know of! They make really uplifting and happy songs. This was their enviromentalism album.”

2 Likes
Our fave duo:

“What the hell is this?” Marvin asked Adrian with his arms folded over. “It looks like some crap you conjured up from a fever dream.”

Adrian smiled back and nodded. “Almost as cool yeah! It’s from a band–”

“–Are they actually weirder than ApostateGerbil? Those guys literally drink pigeon blood.”

Adrian laughed. “No, these guys are just quirky. Dolphin fantasy lovers, a bit out there.”

Marvin nodded back. “I can see that.”

Adrian waved the album cover in Marvin’s face. “Also, you alright? This is the most you’ve spoken all week! For date night we’re gonna listen to this later too.”

Marvin let out a sigh and took the album. Staring at the crazy dolphins and planets confused him. And that symbol in the middle as well. What was that? “No, we’re listening to that other freak first. The Canadian guy.”

“Baby no money? Sure.” Adrian smirked. “We can play him.”

“You just like him because he’s a super adept version of you who has a life!”

3 Likes

I guess it’s time I find something more comprehensible:

1 Like

That makes two characters who don’t know what a fluer-de-lis is!

1 Like