šŸ¤Æ Any other AI art addicts here? šŸ¤Æ

No relations to Gumby here.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve had to specify race/ethnicity a few times.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sorry but your female character always kind of looks like Ariana Grande in the ai generator

1 Like

If she was Grande, she wouldnā€™t be a medium.
:nerd_face:

Iā€™ll walk myself out.

2 Likes

I attempted to create images with two different characters (Freyja and Krista) in MidJourney. About 95% of the experiments failed. But other users in MJā€™s Discord feeds have been more successful with two+ character images. Maybe my character prompts should have greater differences. Iā€™ve also noticed my successful two character creations lack the accuracy and detail of single character experiments.

So close, yet so far

1 Like

Starschmucks believes otherwiseā€¦

2 Likes

I still have nightmares of the time I asked for ā€œmedium regularā€ because I was used to ordering it like that at DD and that :poop: doesnā€™t fly in starshmucks. Got the barista death stare in exchange.

3 Likes

Alright. I didnā€™t count how many hours it took me to create the image for this cover.

The steps to finally get there were:

1. Generate realistic images of the two characters (separately).
  2. Put them together in a sort of a crude collage.
  3. Generate a series of images out of that.
  4. Switch over to Krita. Using two of my favorite images, blend them together, picking the elements I liked from each.
  5. Edits. Lots of edits. One of the super detailed things I did was to increase the resolution by smoothing out the pixels. I kid you not. I think I touched every single pixel on this image at least three times each (in some areas, hundreds of times each - being a perfectionist isnā€™t a good thing with art).

Was the result worth it? Yes. Many times yes. I love it.
I still see a few imperfections but I need to let them go. This took forever!!!

1 Like

Found this YouTube channel for AI art generation. Might be of use here.

1 Like

I meant to post it here. Oops.

Sam's transformation

Today, I sat down to create a realistic image of Sam. I used one of the old generations as my start image. I had a couple more ā€œofficialā€ Sam images and I tried using each today, but this one produced the best results so letā€™s stick to this one.

This is an old NightCafe image of Sam which I heavily edited way back.

Iā€™ve always liked it and it works great as a sort of combination of realistic and oil painting, but since Iā€™ve created the other characters in a realistic style, I hoped I could do the same with Sam.

Using Dream, I evolved the image over and over, saved results and then would evolve those results. Lots of tries but finally I landed on these two.
This one is my fave because I like her face. Itā€™s a shame that hair looks so fake.

This one is too doll-like for the realistic style I wanted, but the hair looks better.

So I thought, can I use the face of one and the hair of the other? The answer is Yes!
Using Krita, I blended the two images together, gave her realistic eyes and fixed things up with lots of edits and voila, hereā€™s the new and improved Sam.

Her shirt is kind of weird but letā€™s not dwell on the shirt.
I like it. It feels like Sam. She looks real. This is now the official Sam.

Hmmmm. Now Iā€™m looking at it and the eye bag under her left eye stands out to me. Should I fix it. Should I drop it. Fix it or drop it? It looks like sheā€™s got a healing black eye. Ugh. Fine. Iā€™ll fix it.

Iā€™ve decided to start using the title AI image editor to describe what I do. Lots of people get very touchy if you put ā€œAIā€ and ā€œartā€ in the same sentence. Iā€™m not going to lie when asked how I create my artwork so Iā€™d rather have an accurate term to describe it. Because my images didnā€™t just come out of the AI. Lots of work went into them.

I agree that the models were trained unethically, and I donā€™t like it that corporations are now making big money off of this without making an effort to pay back to the artists whose work went into training the models.

But I donā€™t think that boycotting AI is the answer. Ethically sourced models are the answer. You canā€™t stop this technology. It will only get better as time goes by. We should be fighting to regulate this new industry, thatā€™s where our efforts should be.

Iā€™ve been working on my website and in the process, I wanted to do something about my profile pic. The problem is, I donā€™t like any of the recent photos of myself. No one takes my photos and when they do, I look awful. I donā€™t know, maybe I have serious image issues but essentially what I think I look like and what I actually look like in photos doesnā€™t match up so when I see them, I feel like thatā€™s not me. I canā€™t even look at them.

That put me on a mission to have an AI generated image that looks like me. I used a few of my photos to experiment with, plopped them in and added a prompt. It wasnā€™t an easy task. I must say, details really matter. Just a little difference in the face and itā€™s a completely different person. Even if AI generated, I wanted it to look at least close to me.

Summary

Example, this woman has all of my features, she has my exact face structure and yet she looks nothing like me.

This picture is nearly identical to the one I fed to AI and yet this is not me!

I tried to do a realistic style but the eyes are never right so I gave up on that. Glasses definitely make it harder. This is the closest I got in the realistic style. It wouldnā€™t pass, looks too AI-like. But itā€™s closer to looking like me at least. (or maybe what Iā€™d look like if I lost 50lbs. The photo I fed it was a bit old so thatā€™s fair)

This one is my favorite in terms of quality but it looks way too young.

Finally, I settled on an unrealistic style. I put it together in Canva because apparently I was in the mood to waste a few hours doing that. (what is wrong with me?)
So the end result is:

Yay, I have a face now.

To answer the question, why canā€™t I just use the photo I fed AI? Iā€™ve considered it, itā€™s not a bad one (though itā€™s a bit old), but itā€™s grainy and the face I make in it makes me look super depressed though itā€™s my neutral expression.
Eventually, Iā€™m going to have to get a glam shot or something to have a professional photo. This will do for now.

1 Like
yeah, I'm not going to go with AI Me off a bad pic

For reference, I just woke up, my eyes are swollen, I noticed my hair is standing up because my son touched my hair with something sticky last night (and didnā€™t notice it then), Iā€™ve yet to shave this PCOS crap off my face, just all around a mess.

But what I have is the face of an overweight middle-aged woman who has a sharp jawline and no major wrinkles in spite of looking well hammered. AI doesnā€™t seem to handle that very well.

Some dumb anime things:

Ugh, I look like Elvis Presley.

Dream:

No.

No.

It doesnā€™t sort-of look like me. The only thing that matches is the eyebrows. I mean, I donā€™t look like a man, but s lot of the features they put in are for women with far less testosterone in their life. Just not strong enough features.

So Anime male.

Oh, hell no. Too big a forehead, but the widows peak is accurate. No dimple, but the general strong chin with separately curved jawline is there.

Tf with this?

Iā€™ll stick with taking better pics and retouching them myself. This is disturbing. Lmao

1 Like

:joy:

You know whatā€™s really disturbing? That the grumpy woman pic doesnā€™t look far from those bad real photos of me (though I hope I donā€™t look that grumpy or tired). I feel called out.

What prompt do you run with it? It can make a huge difference.

For example, when I didnā€™t add brunette to my prompt, the AI kept giving me darker complexion and ethnicity that clearly didnā€™t fit (like the first one I posted).

I found the process interesting. It also showed me what Iā€™d look like with nice makeup. Not that I wear it often, mostly I go without.

1 Like

I put grumpy lady for older women and grumpy woman for the younger one. Honestly, I was hoping for rediculous. I didnā€™t use any prompts for the anime one because that was a test run for the engine, and I didnā€™t like it enough to keep?

Sometimes I believe in the ā€œUniversal Granny Faceā€ , the older I get.

1 Like

Facial hair equals man, I swear. Lmao

1 Like

I hope you donā€™t mind that I gave your photo a try. It actually came out better than my attempts yesterday.

Summary

Prompt. Using Dream.
Photograph of a woman, brown eyes, serious expression, short gray-brown hair, fine-art photography By Brian Ingram, striking features, masterpiece

Now Iā€™m inspired to try myself once again with a fresh selfie.

1 Like

She could pass for a cousin of mineā€¦ Which means that though I donā€™t see me in it, thatā€™s the right ballpark. Lol

Technically my hair is back and white. It just bleaches in the sun.

1 Like

Ok. Iā€™m really glad that I tried again with a fresh selfie because Iā€™ve got a new favorite. Itā€™s not 100% me, quite prettier and friendlier looking if anything, but itā€™s close enough to not feel like a bait and switch.

Fun fact that felt like a compliment. When I put ā€œforty year oldā€ in the prompt, it kept making me look a lot older. Only when I put in ā€œthirty-five year old,ā€ did it start looking like my age at last. hehe. Thanks for that, AI bias. :smiling_face:

Summary

Starting pic (office selfie).

Without specifying age, it instantly makes me 20.

Forty is the new fifty?

This one made me laugh out loud.

The new favorite (using 35 year old in the prompt)

Actually, the more I look at this, the more she looks like my mom. Just take glasses away (and 20-30 years). Holy shit. That is disturbing but also cool.

Hmm. Now I want to create one of my mom. Wouldnā€™t it be funny if her photo produced one that looks like me?

Update. Omg. I created my mom so easily. This is crazy.

Summary

This is so close!

But also, her photo gave birth to quite amazing portraits (that donā€™t look like her).

1 Like

Then you look a lot like your mom.