Apocalypse Lite?

“Humanity has dealt with many hardships from war to disease to constant strife. Now, long after the fall of mankind, the lone few survivors have gathered. They form small communities and band together to prolong what little humanity they have and cherish. The world is bleak, cold, dark, and grim and death is always a certainty. Yet even in a desolate yet ugly world, there is still some beauty and something precious that humans cling onto…hope. Without the hope and the will to move on, preserve, and reach the guiding light that leads the way, the world might as well die and the surviving bit of humanity ought to be walking corpses, holding onto the fading of hope and dreams. Even in the apocalypse, there is still something to be done. Survive. That is all we can do, that is all we must do. To live and restart humanity is the key and yet to see and pray for a better tomorrow that will ultimately lead to a bright future…that is something that make humans interesting. So, bring on the apocalypse or any sort of enemy because mankind will be ready. The simple fact is humanity’s stubbornness is probably the only blessing…or curse. Either way, human won’t yield for anything.”

Moving on, I wouldn’t mean reading OR writing a little story about humanity’s joys, laughter, and sorrows while living and surviving in post-apocalyptic world. Just a fun little something where a group of people, no matter how big or small, faces countless obstacles and tries to move on and forward even in a bleak world. It doesn’t have to be a novel or a novella, but rather something short and fun pertaining to mankind after an apocalypse.

Yes…writing about the good side of being in a post-apocalypse isn’t something most people would do since they feel like a situation like that requires to be painfully serious.

Would you read a short story about a main character(s) in a post-apocalyptic setting fighting to survive but also tries to find the joys in life and a reason to still smile in an already bleak world with little hope?

What are your thoughts?

3 Likes

Oh, @NotARussianBot, I have an interesting thread for you!

Most the Mangas I read with that scenario are not 24/7 bleak. They are about rebuilding a sense of brotherhood.

3 Likes

Ain’t that the true essence of it’s beauty?
:triumph:

2 Likes

It’s a rally big thing in the regression ones (reincarnated into my previous self?)

2 Likes

One of my favorite things is School-Live, which mixes a schoolgirl slice of life with a zombie apocalypse. It’s extremely refreshing, at least in my opinion, and anyone who can make an American counterpart to that is going to strike gold, trust me. But in a post-#Alive world, mindless shamblers just aren’t going to cut it for a lot of people.

2 Likes

is there a regression where the person was a tree in their past life, and that life was the longest out of all of them?

1 Like

Have you seen an anime called Girls’ Last Tour?

1 Like

1 Like

I knew that was coming. LOL!
It is pretty cool though and cute!

2 Likes

It’s a pretty good slice of life to me personally.

1 Like

Actually, I think real life people in that situation would be so traumatized that they’d be a little crazy, and would only focus on humorous things. They’d be constantly joking in my opinion, the way we do when we say things like, “If I don’t laugh about this I’ll cry, and if I start crying I’ll never stop…” So they’d be constant comedians, if you know what I mean, always joking around. Or maybe that would just be me. (>‿◠):v:

3 Likes

In situations like that you got to laugh the pain away I suppose. Even when you want to break down and cry, you’re probably too stubborn to go that route. Some do, but others don’t.

2 Likes

Possibly. Would have a My Neighbor Totoro feel.

1 Like

Why does an “Apocalypse” have to be depressing? IF anything, it could be exciting and enlightening?

“Apocalypse” comes from Greek, the original language of the Book of Revelation. It means “uncover, disclose, reveal.” In late 14th century Church Latin, it became “revelation.” In Middle English, its general sense was “insight” or “vision.” Its usage as “a cataclysmic event” is modern.

Someone should flip this dopey destruction trope on its head and write something about it being a time of revelation, not just buildings exploding.

I wouldn’t read ANOTHER survival story. I find that really boring. I would read one about a bunch of high hippies in a cult who want the world to end so that the truth about mankind is revealed though.

1 Like

Yeah, they’re surviving through sheer joy and laughter.

2 Likes

Not even about survival, more like “this is it, this is the truth, we’re done trying to survive, we’re just gonna accept things as they are now, if we die we die, let’s have some fun.”

:flushed:

2 Likes

Sir, I like the way you think.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’m just bored of stuff like The Last of Us and The Walking Dead seemingly being the only outlook people have in apocalypitcal scenarios and it’s getitng a bit boring now :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Totally get that!

I watched only the first few seasons of The Walking Dead and ditch it at some point. The Last of Us is something I am not going/planning to watch. I know of it a bit.

I find it funny that people can watch hours or days of the depressing yet serious side of the apocalypse rather than the “Life sucks, but it is what you make of it” side of an apocalypse.

Why are most humans so depressing in that aspect?

2 Likes