Are there any screenplay writers out there?

For the last 12 months I’ve been volunteering at my local amateur theatre company and have got involved in their plays - doing everything from lighting to set building to backstage management to marketing to sitting in on auditions and rehearsals (essentially everything but the acting).

As a result, I’ve seen a range of screenplays adapted and come to life on the stage, and it’s inspired me to give screenplay writing a go. And maybe eventually get the company to put it on as one of their plays…

I haven’t started writing it yet, but I’m interested to know if there is anyone on Wacky who writes screenplays. (I don’t think I’ve ever seen any chat about them on here).

Tell me about it if you have!

4 Likes

I never have yet, but I too want to try it. I downloaded Trelby ages ago, but still haven’t installed it on my computer yet. But soon! (*^-‘) 乃

2 Likes

Ooh, thank you - I’ll check it out!

2 Likes

I’ve screwed around with it. I admire the simple directness of a screenplay, how it leaves so much to the imagination.

2 Likes

i usually write my books in script form first because i imagine them as tv shows (it’s weird ik) but it actually helps me to write them and organise my novels so it’s consistent and doesn’t get too far off the point of the story. i don’t write screenplays though, as in i don’t know how to write them properly, just the basics i guess and even then it’s probably incorrect. i use writer-duet since it’s easier for me to do multiple projects at a time and on multiple devices.

here’s an example;

(just want to see if i can answer your question
despite not being able to add new replies - i’m not usually active on here)

08/02/2024

@Norwood515 i was highly contemplating it, mostly because it’s easier to imagine the story without becoming mind boggled by too many words but i didn’t think anybody would be interested in reading it because it’s not a usual style. i might later publish a ‘semi-script version’ of the book, of everything put together, even things that didn’t make it into the novel. but i’d have to straighten out some things in the script first - there’s a lot of spelling mistakes coming from when i’m writing too quickly.

@Qualeshia12 idk if you can see, but in the screenshot at the top, there’s a panel where you can see ‘scene’, ‘action’, ‘character’ and so on. it’s a great help on writing a script decently! it formats things for you but it does take a couple of tries playing with the website to eventually get to grips with it! it’s worth a shot. also great to look at script examples online of your favourite show etc. so you can understand the basic structure of a script so you can write one. i hope this helps!

4 Likes

Fascinating technique!

3 Likes

I agree with @NotARussianBot, that is a fascinating technique.
I wanted to do that, but the way I write in play format is so amateur and terrible, even for a first draft.

I love the way you did it with the example you showed.

3 Likes

Interesting. Do you publish anything online in that style? I’d be interested to look at it if you do.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.