Ask Me About One Fine Morning in the Middle of the Night

I looked into Zodiac Academy, even tried reading a bit of the first book, but I was taken aback by how samey all of the love interests were. In fact, I am so distressed at how samey a ton of love interests in modern romances are that I have begun an unofficial experiment using female leads with characteristics I rarely see in romance stories that get big on Booktok.

Here are the three of them, yes these are aliases.

Hasu: The most sterotypically good girl out of all of them, but if you make her angry you will pay dearly. Extremely honest and simple-minded, has zero filter.

Tsubaki: Classic tsundere with a penchant for trash talk. Has a massive Napoelean complex as well.

Fuji: The most introverted of the three, also the most analytical and observant. Would be considered classically pretty if not for the massive scar on the left side of her face.

Wacky writers! Lend me your energy!

@J.L.O
@Akje
@TheTigerWriter
@FOLuke

5 Likes

Looks solid. I definitely don’t go for same characters, although I don’t do much flashy either.

2 Likes

Now I just need four ideas for love interests that are woefully under prepared to deal with them.

1 Like

You could start with a basic list of stock characters and alter them to suit your story from there…? (>‿◠):v:

On a side note, I just checked out Amazon’s list of Booktok Bestsellers and discovered there’s a good reason I’m never going to join Tiktok. (òᴥóし)

https://www.amazon.com/b?ref=r_tv_bktk&node=23679109011

1 Like

More like, how can I make the archetypal bad boy campus bully more interesting?

1 Like

Make him a secret drag queen…? ☜(ˆ▿ˆc)

1 Like

I got four of these little shits that are attempting to go after these gals, I had better differentiate them.

1 Like

@I_m_darkscarlett give me your pitches for what sorts of personalities would play off of these gals! Please!

1 Like

I would be glad let me see, you want love interests right? I would recommend assigning a trope first what kind of trope you would like to be on them then go from there if I’m being honest the tsundre Charcters usually I like with a sunshine character maybe a bit eccentric or a bit ditzy would contemplate what’s life in the middle of a club that’s playing Eminem

2 Likes

I suppose that my idea right now is taking one’s standard posessive bad boy and force them to interact with gyals who don’t take bullshit, forcing them to try a different technique.

I guess it might mutate into Love is War or something.

2 Likes

Good idea if you’re going for the classic badboy one but make some layers in the character if you’re going for doesn’t take a bs girl what kind of girl’ she is good girl or punk kinda?

2 Likes

Well Tsubaki is an introvert that has a short temper. I’d say that she’s probably be considered a preppy jock as she is a perfectionist who does Brazilian Jiu-jistsu alongside Hasu.

2 Likes

lmao.

What if the bully is being “set off by the mastermind”?

He’s been bullying people due to the wrong information. Like he beats the snot out this guy who supposedly touched his sister, but mastermind was getting him to beat up this dude because he was a rival or something.

Mastermind needs to be someone that everyone pities or doesn’t take seriously, except bully.

2 Likes

Like a giant talking giraffe that only he can see?

Cameleopardis is a favorite constellation of mine!

I don’t care how you do it. Just along the lines of something they can be retrained from if everyone wants to take them seriously. Because if they can’t be retrained, they aren’t a viable “healthy option”.

2 Likes

Jock? Can work with it, if you’re trying to avoid cliche i would suggest make her a bit grey of an Charcters cause see usually the Nice girl gets the badboy it’s very rare for a queen bee to get one idk if I’m capturing your characters right maybe cause i don’t have much information but I think before you go towards the love interest, you should give them more background think of them as real people dislike like, how would they talk if they’re liking a person who’s polar opposite to them why would they? Generally we don’t like people who is polar opposite to us cause of the gap of similar interests and beliefs. Anyway have you decided on what genre do you want?

1 Like

Romantasy!

OK, all of the 3 girls are jocks technically because they all go to the same dojo.

1 Like

Dojo clases? I think you can make it either one 3 brothers with different vibes so you can get 3 different types of tropes in one place or make it cohesive

The is badboy, make another class president or the golden boy, and another one could be the invisible boy in the back bench

Badboy is usually opposite attracts or enemies to lovers

Class president could be academic rivals

Invisible boy could be love at first sight or whatever it’s about who you pair with who and who matches the vibe better I can’t really give more in-depth options but if you’re stuck on something the characters you’re building you can surely ask me !! Hope this helps :skull::fist:

2 Likes

What is the experiment you’re doing with these characters?

2 Likes