Ask the Team!

May I ask why you need to change a username?

1 Like

I don’t need to xD

I just wanted to try changing into a three letter name like Cai did :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Based on some digging I did, I think there’s a setting that limits users from changing their usernames once their account is more than 3 days old. I think staff might be able to change usernames of users anytime though, but we’ll have to discuss that first before offering that to users. (Plus, it would be a bit annoying if someone wanted to constantly change their username to the point we forget who they are. Lol.)

2 Likes

Ooh I see. Thank you for the information!

I guess I’ll have to wait until you guys have come to a decision until I can change it again >~>

3 Likes

@CJtheSiteWizard So I’ve been testing coding on the forum since span style code is allowed again, but the exact same coding that worked few days ago, suddenly not working anymore.

Is the span coding currently disabled or something?

I just threw something together and it still works:

If you want to troubleshoot your code with someone, you’re welcome to use this thread:

2 Likes

Hello~

Do you guys think it would be okay to bring back “unsent messages” thread?

It’s pretty much just a thread with people posting messages they wanted to send, but never did.

7 Likes

Preview stopped working for some of us but it still renders when posted. I presume you have the same issue?

1 Like

:thinking: Let me talk to the team about it. We’re already running low on server space so we’re trying to figure out ways to either A) expand our storage capacity (costs money) or B) limit what kind of threads we can allow. It’s a tricky balance lol.

I’d like to know more about this, if someone wouldn’t mind PMing and expounding - if this is new, I need to figure out what’s happening.

3 Likes

Ahhhh now this is apparently my issue too and I just realize it now.

Thanks! :wave:

1 Like

Hi, I’m not sure what the rules are pertaining to website links. Am I allowed to link writing resources (from other webpages like Grammarly) in my writing resource thread?

This makes me very curious about how storage space works for discourse.

As long as it’s something like Grammarly and not Discord or a Google doc of some kind (we don’t have rules in place for those yet), that should be fine.

Yeah, I think it’s less about Discourse and more about the server we have it loaded on. I’m researching the best happy medium for us because we have massive page views per day so we need something fast but also for storage because in a week we’ve already eaten up the better part of a 25GB server. We need something probably more in the TB range but those are enterprise level servers and as much I love you all I can’t afford to put us on one of those. :joy:

4 Likes

Maybe we can collectively fund one!

1 Like

Hey, I was wondering if I could ask an absurd question here, I know this is a place to ask the team, but that’s exactly why I was thinking of asking here lol. I always create weird scenarios on my head and like to ask people what they would do in said scenarios, and this scenario involves this website lol

I’ve been trying to figure out the nicest way to explain we might need a donation/monetary support method without sounding like I’m trying to money-grab, does that make sense? Our server currently costs $75/month and while I would love to be able to bankroll that indefinitely…I can’t lol.

We’ve tossed around ideas like a “donation” option, which is literally like a $1 tip jar type thing and you get a badge or custom emoji or something as thanks, or some sort of “paid tier” option with cool special features. We’ve also discussed custom merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, pens, that kind of thing), and “paid advertising”, like, there’s ads on the forum which bankrolls us. Or even “user paid advertising”, like you can pay something and we’ll advertise your work at the top of threads or the website or something. Anyway, it’s something we’re going to have to start talking about pretty soon, our deadline is somewhere in mid-September, we just wanted everyone to have some distance between the WP forum shutdown and us bringing up funding.

Sure! Mostly cuz I’m intrigued now lol.

2 Likes

Ok. Suppose that a member reveals themselves as being a high-ranking officer of a Totalitarian Government, a Dictatorship with several hundreds in labour camps, who suppreses freedom of speech, and that is ranked #5 in most abuses to human rights

This member reveals themselves via a photo and a link to wikipedia where it confirms they are one of the high ranks

Would this violate the code of conduct and result in an inmediate ban?

Yeah, I hope this never happens lol, but suppose it does

It’s an interesting hypothetical to be sure.

Since Wacky Writers is located in the U.S. and therefore governed by its laws, if a scenario like this were to arise, we would follow whatever the U.S. law/precedent/stance on said hypothetical individual was. If the U.S. government has publicly denounced said hypothetical leader, we would likely ban said user in compliance.

But, let’s be fair. We’re a little writer’s forum in a tiny corner of the internet. If we, hypothetically, had any controversial public figures become members of this little forum, I suspect I would have legal staff on retainer to better answer that question. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I see, thanks for the answer, this actually helps one of my books :rofl:

1 Like

Now I’m having strange headcanons about Kim Jong-un signing up here to talk about his favorite Catradora fanfictions. Thanks. That image in my head won’t go away for a while. :joy:

5 Likes