šŸ“š Assess Your Writing - Useful Tool šŸ¤“

Anyway, I think this will do me good on my book of prompts, as that needs to be KISS as possible.

2 Likes

Goodness, so do you use difficult words or just the concept is a higher level?

Its a combination of things.

Letā€™s go over the 1st sentence for a feel on this:

This was the first time that Anise was grateful to have Vance standing outside her classroom with his arms crossed over that broad chest of his, intimidating half the class into running away.

1. 8th chapter, girl is prickly, but is starting to depend on her MLā€“an announcement of that.
  2. Location.
  3. A description of the ML Iā€™ve not used before: looks and attitude.

Its all together because I hate the ā€œHe has a broad chest and is scaryā€ wholly seperate from the story.

So its not mentally complex or difficult words, but integration that killed it, here.

But yeah, Iā€™m complex enough.

2 Likes

Not bad, I thought I would do worse lol. This is definitely high-ish fantasy (Duh, what else do I write lol)

2 Likes

Of course :joy:. Did you include your lore in that and it gave you grade 3? :eyes:

1 Like

Nah this is just a first chapterā€“I usually donā€™t write down lore (although I should :woozy_face: )

1 Like

I copy-pasted the opening chapter of my current work. I think that app needs an option for UK / AUS spelling and grammar, and needs to recognise different dialogue dialects.

My results for Goddess v2.0 first chapter.

Readability

Grade 3

Good

Reading time: 00:11:04

Letters: 12096

Characters: 15603

Words: 2770

Sentences: 321

Paragraphs: 127

7 adverbs, meeting the goal of 42 or fewer.

7 uses of passive voice, meeting the goal of 64 or fewer.

8 phrases have simpler alternatives.

15 of 321 sentences are hard to read.

4 of 321 sentences are very hard to read.

Out of curiosity I copy-pasted the opening chapter for my first novel.

Results for To Fall for an Angel

Readability

Grade 4

Good

Reading time: 00:15:34

Letters: 16602

Characters: 21266

Words: 3892

Sentences: 370

Paragraphs: 146

14 adverbs, meeting the goal of 49 or fewer.

5 uses of passive voice, meeting the goal of 74 or fewer.

0 phrases have simpler alternatives.

37 of 370 sentences are hard to read.

6 of 370 sentences are very hard to read.

A somewhat better outcome. I still donā€™t understand what makes those ā€˜hard to readā€™ sentences hard to read.

2 Likes

Waitā€¦ So when the heck do you explain your dictionary? XD you have all your words and stuff.

1 Like

If I remember right it says the sentences are just too long, so that makes it hard. But those are pretty good results! You write mystery or action, right?

1 Like

I like this idea though because I also use different spellings for different characters, so I wonder what itā€™d say if I put those chapters in.

I tend to write action / drama stories. My current work is supposed to be a Young Adult story, but apparently it deals with mature topics (teacherā€™s comment)ā€¦Nah, my YA / teenage characters are just mature for their age (Israel leaves little room for childhood ~ Shimon Peres)ā€¦

2 Likes

I was surprised my story ranked tenth grade because they definitely shouldnā€™t be reading what I write since itā€™s not child-friendly xD.

2 Likes

You think people want to think when they smut? Iā€™m kind of curious about that myself.

Btw, this is that same snippit, BARELY changed, and itā€™s down to 6th gradeā€”which is where I should aim for, as Iā€™m never going to be ā€œSee Spot Run.ā€

This means I can essentially change nothing, probably 90% of the time, and pass through.

1 Like

OH pfft this isnā€™t Meiste lol this is some of Yesseiā€™s stuff

And lmfao I donā€™t explain it bc itā€™s all disorganized :woozy_face:

2 Likes

Iā€™m writing a Fantasy/Attempted comedy story that Iā€™m currently editing, I think I found another way that I have to go through it, so thanks for that :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :grin:

My first chapter got an 8 but the app seems to think that everything less than 9 is good? And my story is written for a new adult or maybe immature adult audienceā€¦ :joy:

2 Likes

That makes sense then :joy:. Iā€™d love to know Meisteā€™s score xD.

1 Like

New ways to drive you mad during editing are always fun, no? :joy:

I figure itā€™s just the app going ā€œSo many people can read this, good job!ā€ :joy:

Sure, lets call it fun :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well, I read they say that the system is based on US reading levels for those grades, and that the average reader level is at about 10, so aiming slightly below that might be good if youā€™re looking to be understandabel by most?

2 Likes

I always tell myself to edit after finishing, but always somehow drive myself mad by not listening and editing in the middleā€¦ Fun :sob:

Likelyā€¦ Iā€™m mostly just concerned by some levels being so low for the themes in the books, but theyā€™re not rated based on themes, just ease, so thatā€™s more understandable.

Someone else was also mentioning how they wish it had regional options.

It does seem like you as the writer will have to take into account what grade youā€™re aiming for if youā€™re writing for middle-grade and have a score of eight that might not be so good. If youā€™re writing for new adult and have a score of 10 then tha might be just fineā€¦

1 Like