Autumn tbr

Does anybody have a autumn tbr (to be read)?

I’ve been in a reading slump for nearly two months now and I’m finally starting to feel like I’m coming out of it. So, I’ve been setting up a fall tbr because it’s just unrealistic to do a monthly one.

Anyways, I’m mostly asking because I want to add nine more books to a bingo board I created for myself.

3 Likes

I don’t specifically have autumn themed books to read, but these are on my Kindle waiting to be read: ლ ლ (˘ᵋ ˘ )

☜(ˆ▿ˆc)

Americanah
Atonement
Beloved
Crazy Rich Asians
Hamnet
Invisible Man
Lapvona
Leave the World Behind
Love in the Time of Cholera
Machines Like Me
Middlesex
Never Let Me Go
Play It As It Lays
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay
The Anomaly
The Constant Rabbit
The English Patient
The Kite Runner
The Remains of the Day
The Secret History
The Song of Achilles
The Sympathizer
The Underground Railroad
The Virgin Suicides
Their Eyes Were Watching God
Valley of the Dolls
Z: a novel of Zelda Fitzgerald

2 Likes

I don’t really do seasonal themed reading but here’s a few I’m reading and planning to read over next few months:

Current reads
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

• Booth by Karen Joy Fowler

• Lovely, Dark, Deep by Joyce Carol Oates

My TBR
  • The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen

• Glory by Noviolet Bulawayo

• Seven Moons of Maali Almeida by Sheehan Karunatilaka

• Tomb of Sand by Geetanjali Shree

• Atonement by Ian McEwan

• On the Road by Jack Kerouac

• Autumn by Ali Smith (aptly named, hoping to finish her seasonal quartet each upcoming season)

New and upcoming releases that I desperately wanna get my hands on
  • The Portrait of a Marriage by Maggie O’Farrell

• Our Share of Night by Mariana Enriquez

• The Passenger by Cormac McCarthy

2 Likes

Did you read Spring by Ali Smith? And if so, what did you think of it?

@Akje @JojoDahlia besides the spooky books I want to read mine aren’t actually themed around autumn. I just want an excuse to have three months to read them :joy:.

1 Like

Oooh, I forgot about scary books! I have some public domain books on my Kindle too, like Dracula, The Damned (Là-bas), The Mysteries of Udolpho, The Monk, and The Castle of Otranto.

1 Like

I have no plans right this second.

Oh hey, I’m about to read A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini :grin: Have you read that one?

If you want spook or creepy,
My Heart is a Chainsaw by Stephen Graham Jones
Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger
Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia (personally, not spooky enough for me)

I’m a mood reader so my immediate TBR always changes, but here’s the tentative list:

• A Thousand Splendid Suns (current read)
  • The Last Firefox by Lee Newbery (depending on what splendid suns made me feel, I might still want something dense and not middle grade fantasy, but for now)
  • All The Birds In The Sky (fantasy, yes, but maybe I’ll want it)
  • The Nightingale
  • Blood to Poison (this one has been speaking to me lately “read me, you know you want to”)
  • Bear Town
  • The Sanatorium
  • Star Daughter (if I still feel for fantasy by the end of all this)

The list is like this because I went through a middle grade fantasy mood for a really long time and now I’m in the mood for some dense, sad, heart-wrenching, stories about life and war and history and death and stuff. Basically, I want book hangover from dark stories that grab your heart and shatter it to bits. Looking for a beautiful book like All The Light We Cannot See or Where the Crawdads Sing. Or a dark, about-life book like Sadie or The Citadel (oh my GOSH those two books just left me stunned. Wow).

2 Likes

If I mention everything, I’ll be writing you a novel :joy:

2 Likes

Same. That’s why I have an immediate TBR and a non-immediate TBR. The immediate TBR is a lot shorter because it’s the books I want to read very soon. That’s the one I tell people.

2 Likes

Yes, so my immediate TBR would be like:

• Seek You - Kirsten Radtke

• Seven Days in June - Tia Williams

• Territory of Light - Yuko Tsushima

• One Last Stop - Casey McQuiston

• Kim JiYoung, born 1982 - Cho Nam-Joo

• Wayward Lives, Beautiful Experiments - Saidiya Hartman

• Carrie Soto is back - Taylor Jenkins Reid

• The Sunbearer Trials - Aiden Thomas

Yeah, so random, I know :joy:

3 Likes

No I haven’t read that one. Autumn’s gonna be the first Smith novel I read, and then working through the quartet with the upcoming year.

I’ve read a few of her short fictions tho — I find her approach to current affairs with humour enjoyable.

1 Like

Haven’t read that one. But I assume it’s got Afghan history, a very approachable writing style (I find the style in Kite Runner quite plain for my taste but maybe he’s developed it more over the years) and a complex main character?

1 Like

Here’s my bingo tbr so far.

2 Likes

There’s a bunch of books with “deep” in the title, I notice. Does that word tend to attract you to books?

1 Like

Not really. I just wanted books set in the ocean.

1 Like

Well I found the final three books I wanted to add.

I have like twenty others I want to read this fall but I’m going to try and read as many of them as I can. Aka most of those twenty books have been on hold forever so I needed a new tbr while I wait for those to come in.

2 Likes

Articles count, right?

1 Like

Okay, I honestly did not know about this. ☜(ˆ▿ˆc)

1 Like