Badge Hunters II

e l l o

1 Like

Boop boop bop bop

1 Like

Poob to me

3 Likes

i mean if you read it the traditional asian way (top to bottom, right to left) it does read boop :thinking:

1 Like

That’s not traditional Asian way at all, maybe Chinese is written top to bottom and urdu right to left but both Sanskrit (old time Indian language) and Hindi (present time Indian language) are read and written same as English left to right.

3 Likes

ah, sorry if i offended you or anyone. i grew up in chinese family so that was what i was referring to. i should* have forgotten about the other parts of asia, sorry

edit: i meant to type shouldn’t

4 Likes

why does this seem to happen so much- people often forget about other parts of Asia, south and southeast especially… (not that it’s on you, I’m just frustrated about it in general)

3 Likes

i think it’s a matter of publicity. other than like china, japan, korea, and like a few countries by there which are often lumped together, the other countries aren’t often in the news. asia as a continent in general isn’t really mentioned much in the school curriculum where i am and when it is it’s still “european history” so oftentimes people forget that asia minor is a part of asia. in history class the only histories we only go in depth in are american history and european history. i don’t know about the schooling in other places, but that’s where it’s like pretty much where i am.

3 Likes

True. I’m from India, and while we do get a ton of press (oftentimes bad), India is almost never lumped into Asia (even though we’re a part of Asia…), and is almost always treated as a separate entity. In India, in the central education (we have state boards for education too, as each state have very different cultures and histories, so students can choose state or central) from 9th, we have a wider variety of history of the world, and before that it’s all India. But yeah, I see what you mean.

3 Likes

in that way i feel like india is like asia minor. the first time i remember talking about india in history class was in relation to alexander of macedonia’s failed conquest of it. and then another time in science i believe we talked about how india’s actually a subcontinent which does nothing to support the fact that it’s also part of asia generally speaking

4 Likes

Yeah. And like, while India is a subcontinent, it’s still a part of Asia. It’s considered a subcontinent because of the entire ocean that used to be named after it and the tectonic plate we share with Australia. So India’s definitely big, but still a part of Asia, albeit a usually forgotten one.
But at least we’re not as forgotten as the middle east and the south and central parts. The eastern parts of Asia get the most attention.

4 Likes

Ok one thing India is not considered a subcontinent alone, India and the countries around it are considered part of the Indian subcontinent. It consists of all the countries that were a part of the same country in ancient times… India got the name cause its the largest.

Screenshot (109)

4 Likes
oops this turned out longer than expected

As a Southeast Asian I feel this so much. When non-Asians talk about Asia they never—or almost never—include us in the picture. I remember when I was still small and we’d travel to Western countries like the US, and when we’d say we’re from Indonesia they’d be like “What’s that? Is that near Korea?” They legit didn’t know we existed, despite us being the fourth most populous country after China, India, and the US. The only Western country where my country was really known was the Netherlands, but that’s because they colonized us. Even my mom’s colleague—she works for a big international company—didn’t know she was based in Indonesia, and when he/she found out he/she didn’t really know our country. He/she asked if Kuala Lumpur was our capital city. It’s not—it’s our more famous rival, Malaysia’s :’)

You ask people if they know Bali and they’d be all like “Ooooh yeah I know it’s nice!” but then you ask them about my country, which Bali is a part of, they’d draw a blank. The island is more known than the country.

Yeah, they don’t just forget we exist. They don’t even know we exist. To be fair, it is getting better in recent years, but we’re not a popular country.

And when we do get press, it’s usually because something bad happened. Like natural disasters, or political stuff (the situation is better now thankfully) or other things. I remember when we hosted Asian Games three years ago and I was looking for English articles on it because I read in English and wanted to follow the results. Nothing. Nothing from the big news channels. Then when suddenly my country had a protest after the election results, the mainstream news blew it up. Like, bruh.

It frustrated me too when I saw these East Asian Americans posting on YouTube about Asian things, but I couldn’t relate to them at all because they were relatable to East Asians. I remember reading a comment where the commenter said the person should replace the “Asian” in the title with “Chinese.” There is more to Asia than just East Asia, and sadly it looks like a lot of people forget about that.

This is also the reason why I hate it when people say all Asians look the same. I’m 100% Asian but I look nothing like an East Asian >.>

Oof, sorry for the rant.

3 Likes

Hard, hard agree to all of this stuff. Like- OMG there is more to Asia than East Asia. Sure, East Asian ethnicities and looks are pretty similar, and even as a fellow asian, I find it hard to differentiate Chinese, Japanese and Koren, even though I’m sure there’s tons of differences. And then central Asia is currently getting press cause of Afghanistan, and the US war, but the countries around it are pretty obscure. And like, the Middle east is a part of Asia, too! Saudi is known for the Arabs and the oil, and the wars in Iran Iraq and because Israel is an ally of the US, but how many people think of that when it comes to Asia?
Oh and don’t even get me started on how Southeast doesn’t seem to exist in western minds. India at least exists, but not as a part of Asia.
And the stuff about Asians looking the same? Absolute crap. Like, even in India itself you would see SO many differences in skin tones, face types and bone structures, and we look NOTHING like East Asians. And that’s just in two parts of Asia. Like, Asia and Africa are the most diverse regions of the world, and yet the most forgotten or generalized to one look. Like the heck?!

Eh, I think I ranted a ton too, but it needs to be said.

3 Likes

also tiny disputed corrections in the map-
Why is the top of Kashmir in Pakistan, and why is Punjab shown separately-
Edit: Nagaland, Tripura and Assam are also parts of India… (and these aren’t disputed!)

3 Likes

IDK took the first map on internet that dint show Afghanistan as part of the subcontinent…

3 Likes

Oh well.

2 Likes

boops

3 Likes

boop boop

2 Likes

beep