Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

What did y’all think about the movie?

I absolutely loved it, and thought it was better than the book (wasn’t a fan of the book, unfortunately).

2 Likes

Is there a lot of singing? That is my main concern.

1 Like

I haven’t gotten around to reading or watching it yet. However, I did come across a Tiktoker indicating that it serves as a prequel to The Hunger Games.

2 Likes

Yes, and the actress is a really good singer (in my opinion).

They didn’t make it seem like a random musical, as they do talk about who Lucy is and what kind of group she grew up in. And it’s honestly really nice to hear the song rather than reading the lyrics. :sweat_smile:

Yes! :blush:

The prequel book (of the same name) came out in 2020, and when Francis Lawrence - the original director of the original four films - found out, he instantly wanted to make a movie from it.

The book/movie takes place during the 10th annual Hunger Games, and is all about how and why Snow is evil.

The story takes place where Snow is in his last years of high school (if they call it that) and the Game Makers decide that, for the first time ever, make the Games different by adding a mentorship - and Snow becomes a part of it as a school assignment. The mentor with the winning victor gains a cash prize which is what Snow needs since he’s actually poor (his parents used to be wealthy, but they died during the war as did their fortune; he lives with his grandmother and his cousin, Tigris - who we actually see as an adult in part two, the woman who helps Katniss when they’re in the Capitol). Snow, ironically, gets a girl named Lucy Gray from District 12, and well, things happen.

They did really well with it, in my opinion, and it’s cool to see the references (again, lol - I read the book) made between this and the original series. You begin to understand why he hated Katniss so much. :sweat_smile:

There’s also quite a few fan theories, too.

2 Likes

Ah I see.

Imagine if the hunger games wasn’t based around violence but rather around gambling.

1 Like

That’d be hilarious! :joy:

1 Like

It would also be a bit horrifying, but Katniss would make everythng so awkward with her lack of social skills.

1 Like

When that one dude said “Smile, it’s why we have teeth” :joy: :joy: Okay fine I’ll watch it!!

1 Like

I just watched the film! I really liked it. I haven’t read the book so I had no idea where it was headed. It might be on par with Catching Fire (my fave from the original films). I think it’s super fresh the way they approached the Games itself — I didn’t think I’d find another battle royale interesting but oh boy it delivered! Lucy Gray is magnetic, Coriolanus and his loss of innocence is terrifying to see spoiler warning: but also why is he sexy and shirtless so much omg . Also an unhinged Viola Davis saying ‘milk and crackers’ is going on all my christmas cards.

2 Likes

The director had to keep the audience interested somehow, Joseph Jostar.

2 Likes