Being friends with a non-reader?!

If you were friends with someone who hates reading fiction and even nonfiction for entertainment/leisure purposes, would you try to understand why or just leave it alone?

Like the person reads only if they have to and it calls for it but not because they want to.

To them reading fiction or even nonfiction is utterly boring along with the fact that they don’t have nor want the patience for it. They can read, but rather not do it for entertainment purposes.

They are more into television, movies, and magazines than books.

They probably still wouldn’t even touch audiobooks because they find it silly, boring, or time consuming.

So, your friend doesn’t like reading at all, but they are respectful towards you for reading and writing fiction.

So, would you still try to figure out why or just accept that they hate reading and don’t change it?

My Turn:

I would be a little curious, but then let it go immediately after. I’m into anime while my friend isn’t and doesn’t even want to watch it. Still, I am not about to make her watch it and I fully accept that anime is not her thing. She is still friends with me because we like other things and get along greatly.

What about you?

4 Likes

Oh heck yeah, there are probably more nonreaders than readers in the world, so of course I’d be friends or I wouldn’t have any. (>‿◠):v:

Most people seem to start hating books in school when they get assigned all those classics and essentially get punished for reading – they have to get up in front of the class and give a speech on the book, or do a book report, or get tested on it, etc. etc. and they leave school hating books. It’s too bad, since damn near everyone comes into the school system loving books. I don’t know any kid who hates Dr. Seuss, Where the Wild Things Are, Richard Scarry, etc…and I think I’m showing my age here. (♯^.^ღ) But you get the idea. ¯\_(ﭢ)_/¯

I would be curious to know why someone who hates to read wants to write since those things are pretty well linked, but plenty of writers do hate to read, so it’s not unusual these days.

4 Likes

Points if that friend isn’t into writing and reading both fiction and even nonfiction.

2 Likes

I’m friends with a few non-readers. It’s very strange to me, but of course I let them be. Lots of times I’ll encourage them to read something I think they’d like. That’s why most of my friends read: because when I’m friends with a non-reader, I usually change them their mind haha

3 Likes

✧・゚: * ✧・゚:* It’s okay if you fall down and lose your spark. Just make sure that when you get back up, you rise up as the whole dang fire. :fire: :fire: :fire:✧・゚: *✧・゚: *

3 Likes

✧・゚: * ✧・゚:* Just want you to know that you are amazing, strong, talented, and not alone. ✧・゚: *✧・゚: *

3 Likes

Oh, hello!

Did I accidentally say something to trigger the Wisp response?

3 Likes

Yup, you got it. Wisp jumps in and says the most off the wall things whenever you say a keyword. I have no idea what the keywords are, but whenever Wisp says anything it’s always funny to me. (>‿◠):v:

2 Likes

I have lots of friends who don’t like reading and I don’t really care. People have different preferences. I love reading, but I can see why people would find it unappealing.

2 Likes

See, opposites do attract in friendships and more.
:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I wouldn’t say we’re opposites per-say, most people like storytelling in some format or another and it’s interesting to hear their perceptions.

2 Likes

I’m married to a non-reader. It didnt bug me at first, and then after I asked him to read my stuff and he said something like “I won’t read the whole book, but if you need help with a paragraph/chapter I can read and help”, it offended me, but then I realised because he’s not interested in reading, it’s not a personal thing, I got over it.

He takes an interest in my writing, but he just doesn’t read so whatever. He’s into card games (like Magic) which doesn’t interest me, so :person_shrugging: we have different interests.

3 Likes

I mean, there’s so many other things I can use as conversation fodder, so I don’t even bother. I might ask them why and might not. No big deal really. Most of my friends don’t like reading. If they do read, it’s manga. And most of my friends can’t read English fluently enough to enjoy the kinds of books I enjoy. So, yeah, limited there, but we have other things in common. I have yet to talk in length about a book with someone in real life. Real life meaning offline.

3 Likes

They just need to read some good manga

1 Like

I can’t blame people for being non readers, especially with the YA books coming out today…

2 Likes

I like to read books about natural science, history, and the occult arts. I’m sure there’s some good books about the music industry, Spain, and churro.

2 Likes

https://www.betterworldbooks.com/product/detail/at-the-corner-of-fantasy-and-main-disneyland-midlife-and-churros-9781735769134

2 Likes

It’s nice to know you all would still be friends with them. That’s really great.

:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

This is me at 40:

At the Corner of Fantasy and Main : Disneyland, Midlife, and Churros

4 Likes

I have a friend who would read before her stroke only at the children’s level. Things like Fablehaven. I didn’t care. Now she can’t read comfortably because reading requires focus she doesn’t have.

3 Likes