Besides romance, what kinds of relationships are you most drawn to in fiction?

Some people write a lot about sibling or parent/child relationships. Some write about workplace relationships, student/teacher, and so on. There are a million and one ways for people to connect outside of romance.

What do you personally find the most interesting to read or write?

4 Likes

Personally, I’m a sucker for the found family trope. Especially if it’s very different structurally than a traditional nuclear family. Dysfunctional and yet still incredibly close found family is my favorite. It shows that we as people can be vastly different, but even when we disagree, we can still love each other, regardless of if there is blood involved or not. Gives me the warm fuzzies.

5 Likes

I was a big fan of found family, but with its over saturation and popularity, I find estranged families more interesting to write and a lot easier to create drama with.

1 Like

I find friendships that stay friendships more appealing than anything else.

Good and amazing friends are hard to find whether it is fiction or reality.

4 Likes

I must agree.

1 Like

Thanks.

1 Like

Female friendships and mother-daughter

1 Like

Since very few things will ever affect us more than family, it just makes sense to me that writing about family dynamics will be the most relatable and potentially the most emotional for the reader. I try not to stick to any one kind of family relationship in my writing, though I do have my preferences.

I’ve noticed that when some writers branch off from romance to some of these other things, they end up writing them in similar ways. That is, they idealize the relationships and write them the way they want them to be. There’s no such thing as a perfect friend in real life, but I’ve seen so many stories where the friends almost even act like parent figures with their unconditional love and support. It’s so unrealistic.

2 Likes

Family and friendship. I love reading about close siblings because I’m super close to my sisters or also being close to parents. And I like reading about close friendships mostly because I envy that.

2 Likes

I like reading about a rival or enemy relationships. Also healthy friendships with friend groups. I like those because they feel most relatable to me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.