Big, bear, man names

Trying to think of a name for my male MC for a story idea that I’m using to procrastinate on my current novel. :laughing: All I know about him so far is he’s one of those big, scary, bear men who everyone that doesn’t know him misunderstands, but he’s actually a sweetie. Very loyal. But you don’t wanna cross him. Has a little sister (both adults). I’m thinking Luthor? I’m open to suggestions. Go!

As for the female, I like Xiomara. I’ve only ever met one person with that name, and I think it’s such a pretty name. :+1:

2 Likes

Go with old names for bear:

Oberon/Auberon
Torben
Espen
Dov
Armel

They have a few in there that are more common, too.

1 Like

Dov is cute. Oberon sounds cool too. :bear:

1 Like

I only went a page and a half out of three, to make sure there were plenty of choices.

2 Likes
1 Like

Ooooh nice. :eyes:

1 Like

Behind the Name is my favorite name site

1 Like

Bjørn is a tradtional Norwegian name that translets to ‘bear’. It’s centuries-old and means to be strong. I believe the English version of it, is ‘Bjorn’. I rarely see it used in stories, though.

3 Likes

I’ve heard it before, the last time was for a dog in a Danish movie about a Greenland expedition.

2 Likes

Yeah, in Scandinavia is pretty common until they made it illegal (the opinion was that you shouldn’t name people after animals and objects. Is now allowed again. :+1: )

2 Likes

I can’t help but find that funny, but I can see why that would be considered bad.

2 Likes

It was kinda funny lmao. Since one of my dad’s friends is literally named Bjørn. He is one of the sweetest and most timid people I know.

2 Likes

My mom is from Venezuela and she knew a kid named Juan de Dios(John of God). It was an inaccurate name, but great if you like irony!

2 Likes

I wonder how that’s pronounced. I’ll have to google it when I have the sound on. :thinking:

2 Likes

Don’t worry, I’m a native Spanish speaker. :rofl: But those sort of names aren’t too unlikely in Latin America.

2 Likes

You should see how Norwegians pronounce it on Youtube. Google Translate butcher our language most of the time.

2 Likes

I have two gentle giants as main characters, and their names reflect their stature and nature.

Dov (former Australian Commando): Hebrew for bear.

Zorik (former Golani Brigade (Israeli shock troops)): Armenian for mighty one / man of strength.

I also use the names Wolff (ex-KSK / German Special Forces) which I made up, and Gur (Wolff’s son) which is Hebrew for puppy.

Just remembered I also have a support character called Boa (like the snake). Boa is a tall muscular Ethiopian immigrant, a lieutenant in the Sayeret (Israel’s copy of the SAS), and the most open, friendly, cheerful chap in his unit (always looking for an excuse to party). Boa also demonstrates consistent surgical accuracy with his .50cal sniper rifle. Perhaps another reason why no one wants to disturb him.

3 Likes

axe, hunter, ace, zero

2 Likes

I’m picturing names like:

Bruno
Gunnar
Diesel
Brutus
Axel
Norris
Maverick
Colt