Book buying ban

Heh, I only buy books on craft and what my kid asks… the other day we went to a used book store and she got a bunch of hardcover comic books, she was so happy :star_struck:

1 Like

ooo I really liked this one

This one too

And Rick Riordan is just a must buy for me tbh

1 Like

Thank you! I dont mind used books, but ill keep that in mind about the covers. :blush:

1 Like

Hardcover comics are really nice. I still have yet to buy any as their really expensive but I can dream. I’m glad your daughter was able to find some she wanted.

I’ve been on the lookout for sewing ones but for some reason I can’t convince myself to spend more than $5 on them.

1 Like

Oh they aren’t used it’s more of the store bought too many and they weren’t selling so book outlet bought them for cheap to sell for cheap. And any that don’t get bought due to slight cover damage in store.

Most of the times it’s either smushed on a corner or it simply just has a dot or line on the top of the pages. In very rare cases it’s more damaged but people usually just send tickets when it’s like that.

2 Likes

I see. Thats honestly fine too :rofl: I dont mind since im getting them for such a low price. Ive already got 3 in my cart, still searching for more.

2 Likes

I keep telling myself not to look at the books again. It’s so tempting with the sale.

2 Likes

It is :rofl: i was on a budget but here i am.

2 Likes

To be honest I own Dark Rise as an audiobook but after listening to the sample and already liking some of the authors other work I couldn’t pass up the price.

Plus my weakness is queer fantasy or sci-fi.

2 Likes

Haha nice, it’s a damn good book and I’m excited to see how the series will go

2 Likes

She says it’s called Saint Elder Brother or something like that. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

To be honest I haven’t dived that much into comics but hopefully she likes it.

That’s… actually really good. xD I mean, if I buy brand new books from B&N, I can only get three and have it come up to 80 dollars. :rofl: But that’s whenever I do have the money to burn. Otherwise, I’m getting free books or really, really cheap ones. lol

It’s pretty much like anything else you try to do for yourself, like if you’re someone trying to get healthier, you’d avoid junk food. If you’re trying to lay off the phone usage, you turn it off or leave it somewhere else in the house instead of taking it with you always. That sort of thing.

But, most of the time, I find trying to avoid the places I get books from the only solution I can do. Now, in my case, the only (main) places I can buy books from is through online (mostly Amazon for their cheap deals), Walmart, and Target because I don’t have a bookstore in my town. The closest is three hours away, and I’ve only ever been there once. Otherwise, if I’m on vacation, I’ll go but that’s a couple times a year. Not even that.

I avoid Amazon because I never really have fun money anymore because bills keep taking it up, so I avoid going on the Amazon app and it’s pretty easy to because I hardly ever look at it.

For Walmart… it’s a small and crappy aisle, so there isn’t much I can do there. Usually when I go, I have a list ready and run right passed the aisle if I’m over at that section. It also helps when I go when I’m tired and just want to get home because it means I’ll spend less time fiddling around.

And as for Target… it’s simple, really. I live an hour away from Target so I don’t go as much… typically once a month or once every two months, depending. And even then, it also depends on how much money I can spend because I have bought three books in one visit, but other times, I’ve bought nothing if I can’t afford it.

Truthfully, it helps when you can’t afford it. I try to be responsible with my money and talk myself out of buying unnecessary things if I need the money for a week’s worth of food or to put 70 dollars in the gas tank. 95% of the time it works… the other five percent? Not so much. :sweat_smile: A reason why I’m 500 dollars in credit card debt haha. Though, to be fair, I spent a good portion of that while visiting my sister during a vacation. Just haven’t paid it off because bills are rising these days…

You can also try to use a reward system to help yourself cut down. If you take a break from buying books for a single month, you can buy five new ones next month as an example. :wink:

1 Like

I’m on a book buying ban currently and tbh i just had to get used to Not Buying Books. Like that’s really the simplest answer, just Don’t Buy Them, and if you can’t go into a book store or look at a book site without buying books then don’t go to those places.

If I see a book I think I’ll be interested in then I take a pic or add it to my goodreads instead of my cart. The only exceptions are if I come across the next book in a series I’m currently reading and it’s the right format. Which never happens ngl, I think Indigos has a vendetta against my book collection because I always have to give up and order in. I literally waited for a copy of Ignite Me for over a year.

28 books should last you at least a month. Try getting through all of them before you even look at a bookseller.

1 Like

I honestly doubt that it’ll last me a month especially since there’s a high chance I won’t have Wi-Fi for a month or so after I move.

But yeah these past few months were definitely panic buys as I’ll be stuck with only buying books from Walmart or Amazon. Gotta love moving to the middle of nowhere.

I’ve got a couple more years until the boy quits throwing things because he likes it more than being careful.

I’m on a major book buying ban. I’ve basically got the whole of Colleen Hoover’s back catalogue, plus 3 or 4 other physical books, plus a free sub to Kindle Unlimited until November (thanks, Amazon! Only good thing to come out for a while lol) with a kindle full of stuff to read, yet all I want when I walk past the book shop is new books…
I need another writing break to start cracking this TBR sigh

1 Like

Well if you have any other books on your tbr you can get through those too :eyes:

Yeah I lived there for 21 years :rofl: it’s not so bad, when you run out of books you can just spend the extra time working on projects and exploring the outdoors or sth.

1 Like

I really hope I never run out of books because that literally sounds like a nightmare. Not the work on other hobbies or going outside part as I already do this but as someone who’s been constantly reading something for so long I literally would probably end up panicking and picking up basically anything even if I know I’m probably going to hate it. Like I’m always reading something driving/cleaning/organizing audiobooks, laying in bed after waking up early or late at night ebook, any other time physically.

Like out of all 250ish books I own only eight of those books I have little expectations about liking them (I don’t know the number of my unread books so I just put my collection number). Six of them are classics and another was a gift. I absolutely do not want that number to get over twenty and the only reason it’s so high is due to the fact that there’s a lot of classics I would put in that category.

1 Like