Book buying ban

These past two months I’ve been buying a lot of books and I really need to slow down. I mean I’ve literally already spent $110 this month. But to be fair for 28 books that are mostly hardcover that isn’t that bad.

Anyways, how does one go on a book buying ban because I need help.

But also like just saying if anybody wants a $5 off their first order of $25 for book outlet which has most of their fiction books for $5.99 right now let me know because I could really use that $5 I get from referring people.

2 Likes

But in all seriousness I’m pretty excited for the books I have coming in the mail:

The Atlas Six
The Mark of Athena
Devil House
Dark Rise
The house of Hades
The blacktongue thief
The wishing spell
The magic misfits
Fireborne
Network effect
The demon king
Bonds of brass
Pet
The trials of morrigan crow
The death of Jane Lawrence
172 hours on the moon
Devolution
Lola benko treasure hunter
Dead silence
Trouble in the stars
Artemis fowl boxed set

3 Likes

Books I’m allowing myself to break my book buying ban for… hopefully I stick to it:

Oaths of legacy
Vows of empire
The lost hero
The blood of Olympus
The love hypothesis
Wheels of time series
Temperance Brennan series (only if it’s under $5)
Dexter series

(I’m very slowly buying those three series as I seem them in good condition and in the edition I’m collecting them in).

3 Likes

I read some Artemis Fowl, it was the coolest

2 Likes

To be honest I never really had an interest in the series until I saw the trailer for the show but had the boxed set not been $5.99 I don’t think I would of ever gotten it. But hopefully I enjoy it and the other books I picked up.

3 Likes

I have 3 destructive kids. I quit buying books for now.

1 Like

Yeah, non kids books would probably only be safe if you had a shelf near the ceiling.

2 Likes

Artemis Fowl is pretty good for the first few books–which is normal. From MG/YA I was reading to my kid, I prefer Riordan. I am actually rereading Mark of Athena atm, because I need a distraction. Still prefer Magnus Chase series by a wide margin.

1 Like

M oldest climbed a ladder before she could crawl. Scared the snot out my husband. I also keep things near the ceiling to keep the kids out of it. That has a 50% success rate.

I will say that lower to the ground is more successfully ruined.

I only read a few of the Percy Jackson books back when I was in middle school so I decided to jump right into the Riordan-verse by picking up the first series and some of the second last month so I can binge read them.

But middle grade is definitely something I’ve been getting more of lately as a palette cleanser.

1 Like

Yeah, that definitely sounds like you need an area where there’s nothing on the particular wall but a shelf up high.

1 Like

She stood on the back of a wooden rocker at 4. That’s the kid I had to get staples in this summer. She finally broke a vase she has had it in for, for all her life.

Basically she’s at an age of self-accoutability, so I’m more or less giving up on secure shelving and working on responsibility with her. The high shelf keeps the 4 year old out of it (not adventurous), and the boy is content with ground level destruction. Lol

His second one is the weakest, but the third is better. But I liked Kane’s Chronicles and Asgard series much more than the PJ sequels. I think Asgard is his strongest trilogy overall, apart from the third book, particularly the ending (urgh).

1 Like

Love the fact that I posted this and got an email today about select hardcovers being 50% off at Barnes and Nobles. I’m not going to buy anything for awhile but the sale goes through the fifth… but from the looks of it online (could be different in store) I’m not that tempted.

2 Likes

I use libraries a lot!! There’s one a walking distance from my place, and it’s well-connected with other libraries in the area, so they’ll send books over if they dont have it at that library, provided I put in a request. My taste in books can get pretty niche but I love rereading favourites, so usually what I do is read the book and, if I like it, buy it.

I know that I’m lucky to have access to such a great library—not everyone does!! Libby is a great online library for e-books that my friend adores. I also tend to look for books in secondhand stores or small used bookstores, and me and all my friends share books with an understanding that anyone who damages someone else’s book will face consequences. I do still splurge from time to time, but getting books cheaply or for free from a bunch of different sources generally keeps it from getting out of hand.

My one weakness is a bargain. I’m a sucker for a good deal.

3 Likes

:eyes: Omg. I need to hop on this train because ive bought probably 100 books this year so far? And just purchased another kast night. But will i ban myself? No. :rofl: so hit me up with the link and ill check out any book i wanna buy for 5.99 right now (yay payday.)

3 Likes

I use Libby 90% of the time but sales and the fact that I don’t know how my Wi-Fi situation is going to be when I move soon I’ve been buying a lot more books then usual.

But usually I only fold (aka when I don’t have gift cards) on books I think are going to be 5 star reads, books of tv shows/movies I liked, certain authors or books in series I’ve read or want to read but think I’ll greatly enjoy.

1 Like

A good way to resist buying books is to remember that one day you will have to pack and move it. Boxes filled with books are not kind to your shins or back…and they attract so much dust…

2 Likes

I definitely already hit 100 before I bought the last two bunches but thankfully I haven’t bought any full price.

https://bookoutlet.com/loyalty/referral/METvYqDb?c=url

Btw if you don’t know about the site all the books but the speciality ones are overstock or possibly slightly damaged covers but if it’s damaged beyond what your okay with you can send them a ticket and they’ll either send you a new one or refund you the money for the book.

2 Likes

I’m literally moving before winter… but to be fair nearly all my books except for the ones in my book cart and fifteen others are in boxes already.

And to be fair one or two boxes are going to be really light as my book cart is mostly manga.

1 Like