Book Trends: What do people want to read these days?

:joy: Maybe.

2 Likes

If i don’t do well on Watty with it, I swear to god, I would move the story to Busan and swap Liam for Ji-Min or something…

2 Likes

Eheheh

They are not vampires, they are bloodsucking werewolves.

It doesn’t make sense to call vampies “demons of the wild”, does it?

Lol yes. That will make you super popular.

2 Likes

It will also result in an assassination attempt by my child. I was already told that Moongrel and Dissident Alpha is lame as titles.

2 Likes

I only know of Busan from the beloved classic Train to Busan.

1 Like

:joy: You know it’s lame when your kid tells you it’s lame.

2 Likes

I’ve been to Busan, and actually saw more of Korea than I did of Montana where part of the story takes place. So, I can do it. Just… another rewrite for no certain success.

1 Like

She is my demographics litmus test.

2 Likes

Good call.

All I have are my parents and they aren’t very good.

2 Likes

I still wouldn’t say it’s different. Kind of does depending on how you look at it.

2 Likes

I fail to see what you mean, in saying that they are not different.

The original thing I commented on you were asking if that was considered different from the popular supernatural creatures.

1 Like

Now I see.

I think it’s a bizzarre twist, though.

If you want something completely different…

2 Likes

I’ve definitely seen that twist before but I also was very obsessed with the werewolf genre for quite awhile. So very little twist with the subject surprise me.

1 Like

You have also seen Catholic Satantist Werewolf Vampires?!

What do you think of the weird pear tree thing?

That’s definitely a weird way to describe it but yes. Although, I thought since you said twist they weren’t hybrids and just drank blood. But if you actually mean hybrids then I’ve definitely seen it otherwise no I haven’t.

It’s definitely interesting although it’s something I couldn’t see being more than a short story.

1 Like

Nah, they aren’t hybrids. Did you hear about the werewolf trials of Europe?

Caveat: I’ve seen lots of literary agents mention this in their don’t query me if… list, and some in their don’t query me with this unless it’s significantly a different concept. I think we reached saturation here early, because #ownvoices pushed the eurocentric fantasy away, and this was already close to saturation.

I think the #ownvoices and BLM movements contributed a lot to pushing this to the forefront. But I think it’s also unfair to call something that is an effort towards inclusivity a trend. Because what happens when the ‘trend’ saturates? No more Black / LGBTQ+ narratives?

5 Likes

I worry, as well, but I think oversaturated will happen when people are tired of reading the same stories over and over.

Again, there’s a million fluffy contemporary romances with queer characters, but nobody is writing enby Spartacus.

3 Likes