Canva for Commerical Use?

So, can you use Canva for commercial covers? Or are they just for noncommercial use?

3 Likes

Hey there,

Your thread looks like itā€™s better suited to #artistry-castle:feedback-tutorials-resources , so Iā€™ve gone ahead and moved it there for you.

ā€“Joy :darkbunnylord:

1 Like

They tend to be for noncommercial use I think

2 Likes

@JJJ000YYY Thatā€™s what Iā€™m so confused about. Some people say commercial while others say noncommerical

2 Likes

I think it depends on the person/photograph and the specifics of it. One person may be okay with commercial while another may not and have fees for it. Researching further is always suggested just in case thereā€™s more to the consent

2 Likes

If you use your own images(upload and/or copy and paste from free for commercial use sites or buy stock photos then theyā€™re definitely free - as for font, Iā€™ve noticed a good deal of them are free for commercial use without having to buy any licenses, but Iā€™m not sure about all of them, so itā€™s always useful to check :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

The photos and fonts they provide are commercial. Mostly. Hereā€™s their license page: https://www.canva.com/policies/free-media/
Take a look at it

3 Likes

Yup. Only as long as whatever you upload is commercial use as well

1 Like

Based just on the design aspect, yes - you can use it commercially, but be aware that Canva designs are ridiculously easy to point out and that it can and does cheapen your commercial product (i.e your book cover). Info found here - their licensing is ridiculously complicated and I honestly donā€™t feel like reading through five different licenses, so this is what I read to summarise it: What Legal Stuff Do I Need to Know About Using Canva? | CGL Blog

Based on the images, probably not. I am unsure where Canva images are from, but I assume itā€™s like RelayThat and all pooled together from Unsplash/Pexels/Pixabay etc. None of those sites should be used commercially.

2 Likes

Just a quick snippet direct from Canvaā€™s Free Media licensing page:

For Stock Media identified as ā€œFreeā€, Canva does not grant any right nor make any warranty with regard to the use of names, people, trademarks, trade dress, logos, registered designs or works of art or architecture depicted therein. In such cases, you shall be solely responsible for determining whether release(s) is/are required in connection with any proposed use of the Stock Media identified as ā€œFreeā€, and shall be responsible for obtaining such release(s).

Just like going through Unsplash etc directly, they completely wipe their hands of you if you get sued.

3 Likes

Yes. Itā€™s always got thisā€¦Canva-ness about it :stuck_out_tongue: Not saying itā€™s bad. Itā€™s just Canva.

Thatā€™sā€¦all I had to say sneaks away

2 Likes

Haha yeah, certainly not bad - but screams ā€˜this is not professional workā€™, unfortunately. The contents might be the most breath-taking, magnificent pieces of literature, but it is a very sad truth that people judge books by their covers.

2 Likes