Coding 101

lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
Pastebin

4 Likes

i’m so sorryy! i’ve been busy with school ;;w; may i ask what happens if we drop out? like, will we be able to lurk still?

4 Likes

This thread is posted in a public forum, so of course lurking is still possible. You just won’t be allowed to post questions in this thread or contact me for one on one help as that’s for students only. I also won’t grade assignments submitted by non-students and only students will get a certificate or whatever other prize I end up offering for those who complete the course. At the end of the day, though, you’ll still be able to learn code should you wish to do so. However, all the added perks and bonuses will be student only, which doesn’t affect your ability to learn code. It’s just… supplemental things and extra fun to make the class more enjoyable for all those involved. Edit: Not getting imaginary points in a fake coding class won’t really hurt you either.

5 Likes

Ahh, okay~ understood~ it’s just that with school and all i’m afraid i’m going to be submitting the assignments less often (especially with MAP Growth testing this week + next week and all these projects the teachers keep giving us-). i’m going to think about this a bit (and i also might submit the unit 5 assignment veryyy late since it’s 7:14AM and i should be getting ready for school atm lmfaoo-) ^^

thank youuu and sorryy ;;w;; <3

5 Likes

Leaving the coding class won’t hurt you in any way, so don’t feel bad about dropping. However, if you’re really determined to finish this class, there’s only, like, five more assignments (and a “final exam”) left, so it’s your choice. Also, if you’ve been getting enough E’s on past assignments, getting a late submission won’t hurt your imaginary grade here anyways. So, really… it’s your choice. This is a fake coding class. Real life is more important.

6 Likes

Assignment 5 Reflection

Calling all students!

@flyingCouch @xinmure @lst-my-shp-sil @greekmyth @merinnie @Theora @nyxarra @Forever_D_A @ValKayRee @dumplingbabe @hazelnuttys @panaceia @JJJ000YYY @Nablai @keen @W.L.Ink

My apologies for the late grades this week. I’ve been dealing with some personal issues, which required me to take some time to focus on them. Moving on, though, I appreciate your continued commitment to this course and learning code. It’s been more than a month and you’ve all learned so much in this amount of time. I look forward to seeing what you’ll accomplish by the time we’re all done.

I don’t have much to say about this assignment. As long as you coded something using the padding and margin properties, you got full points (an S). For those that went above and beyond, you earned an E. If you got something other than an S or an E and don’t know why, feel free to reach out to me.

Before I let you go with your grades, there’s an important matter I need to discuss with you. Due to a recent change in the forums, it is no longer possible to tag more than 10 users in a single post at a time. Given that there are more than 10 people in this coding course, I will need to find an alternative to informing you all of new assignments and grade updates such as these. I have a few options and I’d appreciate it if you helped me decide by voting on the one you prefer. I’m open to suggestions as well.

For today’s assignment reflection, I used a trick where I tagged half the class initially and then I broke the tags so I could tag the other half of the class. Through some initial testing with the help of some other users, I discovered that those that were tagged first would keep the notification even if the tag was broken after and those that had their tag edited into an existing post were also notified.

Another option is for us to have our own Discourse group but, as this class is halfway over, I don’t see the use in creating a group that would only be used for about a month or two. Had we been at the start of the course still, I’d be more comfortable moving forward with this option for our class.

Lastly, I can keep tagging as I usually did but only tag the 10 people who need it the most. This means that in our class of currently 15, 5 of you will not be tagged. You may volunteer to be untagged.

Which of the described options works best for you, moving forward in this class?

• break the tags
  • Discourse group
  • tag the 10 that need it the most

0 voters

Please vote on this poll and let me know what you think. I also encourage you to reply with any thoughts you have as I think over what the best course of action is for us moving forward for the coming weeks.

Student Name Grade
flyx E
xin F (removed from class for missing 5 assignments in a row)
lux S
greeky E
mina F (no submission received)
theora E
xérès S
ashen S
val E
jade N
hazel E
g-ane S
joy E
nab S
keen S
ink E
8 Likes

I volunteer as tribute. (I usually check this thread whenever there’s a new reply so it would be fine xD)

4 Likes

I volunteer to not be tagged too since I got this thread on watching

4 Likes

I don’t need to be tagged because I’ll see it anyways and I have this thread of watching too.

3 Likes

I volunteer not to be tagged as I’ve this thread on watching, Lumi :smile:

3 Likes

I don’t need to be tagged too. stalking this thread daily

4 Likes

I don’t need to be tagged either, I have the thread on Watching :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I didn’t expect so many people to volunteer. Hm… well, I’ll see where the poll’s majority is by the time it’s time to post the next assignment up. So far, break the tags is winning.

3 Likes

But five people are willing to not be tagged which means for the people who voted to break the tags it wouldn’t really affect them and it would be slightly easier for you.

3 Likes

Breaking the tags and tagging 10 people takes the same amount of time for me, so I’m just going with what the majority option in the poll is.

3 Likes

ok then

3 Likes

Unit 6: Multi Column Threads

Calling all students!

@flyingCouch @lst-my-shp-sil @greekmyth @merinnie @Theora @deathinreverie @Forever_D_A @ValKayRee @dumplingbabe @hazelnuttys @panaceia @JJJ000YYY @Nablai @keen @W.L.Ink

I hope you all enjoyed your week off because it’s time to jump back into the thick of things. Remember how in assignment three, I mentioned that we’d be talking more about the display property from display: block; later in the course? Well, today is the day to delve deeper into this property.

The display property is important as it specifies what you can do with your code. Normally, by default, the span tag has a display value of inline. You may have noticed if you don’t include display: block;, you are unable to change the width or height of your span box. When you include display: block; in your code, you’re telling the span to behave differently.

There are three commonly used values for the display property but for now, we’ll just be focusing on two of them: inline and block for the sake of simplicity. To start with, here’s a visual explanation:

As I said, by default, the span tag uses display: inline;. You might be wondering if there’s a tag that uses display: block; as its default and that would be the div tag. It’s not really relevant for forum coding but if you decide to code elsewhere, you’ll be able to use the div tag in the same ways as the span tag with the display: block; specified in its inline CSS. Forum coding is broken, yes.

Now, let’s dive into the third type that you can use: display: inline-block;. As the name suggests, it combines some of the properties of display: block; and display: inline;. Instead of each span starting on a new line like it does with display: block;, the elements stay side by side when possible. However, unlike with display: inline;, you can give them a specified width and height. In some ways, inline-block; gives you a greater flexibility when coding:

(Recommended further reading: click here)

For this week’s assignment, design something that uses display: inline-block;. It can be as simple as two squares side-by-side that are both different colors or it can be as complex as a thread design. Let your curiosity and your imagination guide you. There is no right or wrong answer.

Direct reply to this message with your submission by September 28th 6pm PDT. Grades will be given shortly. If, at any point during this assignment you wish to ask a question, feel free to tag me and ask!

12 Likes

Sorry for being late. I forgot what day it was today, oof.

7 Likes

Also… let me know if that assignment is too hard? I notice no one submitted yet. o.o

5 Likes

I can submit right now actually but…want to check some things and play around. So far, so good.

4 Likes