✍ Creative Naming in Real Life ✍

As writers we all know names can get really creative, but I want to know about the real life names you’ve heard/know of. How creative were some people when naming their real life kids?

In real life I’ve known/heard of:

Sterling Silver
Treasure Silver
Fe-male
Boy
Girl

What about you?

8 Likes

I used to work with a lady named Rusty Bone :bone:

…I might actually steal her name for a book character.

4 Likes

Wait! But that’s such a cool name!

You also just reminded me of a teacher I had. She said she had a student named Rainy Sky. :cloud_with_rain:

1 Like

It is! That’s an amazing book protagonist name if I’ve ever heard of.

I also know some brothers whose middle names are Stormhawk and Lightningblade.

Oh, and apparently Quackinbush is a real last name that people have.

1 Like

I would def be unable to walk past them without making sounds XD

La-a pronounced Ladasha. :wink:

Nah I know a Spud Murphy.

Who else? Anya Beck.

A one legged man called Liam. For real.

I’ve heard of that one and some others that I would need to blur XD

1 Like
2 Likes

I knew a fellow called Maxwell House (A brand of Coffee)…

And there is a Village not far from me called Pity Me. It always makes me smile that one…

SD

4 Likes

Once knew a boy in middle school whose sister was named Genesis

Have also heard of people named Bienvenido (means “Welcome”), Luz (Light) and Socorro (Help)

2 Likes

I knew of an Anette Curtain (I don’t think the last name was very related to that, though)! There’s apparently a bunch of kids called Abcde (Ab-sid-dee) but I only know that from news

1 Like

I knew a Genesis and I’ve met a girl named Epiphany.

2 Likes

I have a cousin named Kenya.

2 Likes

definitely

• a pair of sisters named Diamond and Jewels
  • Nevaeh (looks normal, right? it’s Heaven spelled backwards. Really common here)
  • Fortunate
  • Birch
  • Bluesette or Bluette idr
  • Mylissa (pronounced “my lissa”)
  • Genevieve but pronounced like… like jean-vee-ehv with a french accent.
  • Vimy as in Vimy Ridge the WW1 battleground
  • Riel as in Louis Riel the Metís leader who founded Manitoba, led two resistances, and then got hanged for high treason.

a lot of native last names are interesting like this. i’ve seen:

• starchief
  • brokenhand
  • crookedneck
  • strikes with a gun
3 Likes

Oooh! Shite! I just remembered that Maxwell had a sister too… And this is the gods honest truth… She was called Wendy… Yeah!

Some parents are utter bastards when naming their kids… Thank the good lord I was named Andrew…

Yeah SecretDurham is called Andrew… Would you have guessed? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Could he be a long lost heir?! :scream:

…I feel like that may have been an original troll before trolling became a thing in the 21st century lol.

I’ve known so many girls named Genesis growing up!

Never heard of someone named the first, but I know someone at work is named Luz. At my old job we had a Sol. And omg, the last one :eyes:.

I’ve heard that before as a joke, oh lord I thought it was like a rumor lol.

Epiphany! Omg, that made me remember a girl I knew named December. I asked her when her birthday was and she answered something like June, making my teenage brain even more confused lol.

That’s such a pretty name and I’ve never met someone named Kenya that I can remember until my recent job, where I’ve met two.

I lowkey love themes like that tho! I have sisters I know, Egypt, India, London, Asia. XD

Yep, I know this one and know like three or four currently.

You just made me tenenver I met a kid named Fortune! I thought it was such a cool name.

Never heard of these, but definitely interesting and one-of-a-kind!

I don’t think I’ve met someone with this name in real life, but I know it’s a sort of popular name. I think it probably fluctuates with the times.

Never heard of either of these that I can remember, but definitely might have History channel living parents lol.

That also made me tenenver I knew a kid named Remy Martin, which I thought was a normal name as a teen who didn’t know the names of many alcohols lol.

I love native names. I had to do research on them a couple of times and they’re always so cool, like even your last example here in my head I’m like that’s a sentence, but so cool! XD

Wendy House? Makes me think of a windy house xD. And never would’ve guessed lol. I knew a few Andrews throughout life. But you just reminded me of a convo I had with a work bestie about a week ago. She revealed to a few of us that her birth name wasn’t Isabel, so we asked her what it was and she refused to tell us because she said she didn’t like it, but gave the clue that it’s a typical Hispanic name, so without missing a beat I just threw out my gut feeling and said Marie… Why did she look like she saw a ghost and asked how the hell I got that because her name used to be Maria xD. Psychic I tell you! :joy:

4 Likes

yeah Vimy’s dad was my highschool history teacher lol, his other kid was named after a similar historical landmark too, i think, but i can’t remember which one.

as an adult who doesn’t know the names of many alcohols, i also think this is a normal name.

same lol, although here its really common for native families to have french last names, too.

1 Like

I also don’t know why, but the first name makes me think of a vineyard xD

I knew a girl named Chyna Mann.
Dealing with her was an experience I am glad that I don’t have to deal with ever again. That was over a decade ago, but yeah, I only remember that name.

2 Likes

That is a great name tho! :joy:

1 Like