Defiant to the bitter end trope

This is a character who stays true to their morals, ideals, philosophies, and creed that neither their soul nor heart wavers. They will die holding onto what they believe regardless of what others think of them.

Even as they lie dying, they still don’t change their mindset, after their death either sparks a small revolution that grows beyond its means or causes something else or nothing grand at all.

This is more than pacifism or stubbornness, it is a character who won’t allow themselves to change even in death. They want to die knowing that they remain true to themselves, telling the world or a group of people “screw you, I don’t give a damn what you or anyone else thinks of me”. They know death is something they will face, but they rather face it defiantly than scared.

Do you have ANY character like that who isn’t just the main character?
They don’t have to come from a certain genre, any fiction genre can do.

Thoughts and feelings?

NOTE: If you don’t have a character like that in any of your stories, name a famous fictional character that used that trope that you know?

2 Likes

@Akje
@MatthewJH
@SecretDurham
@lowarlo
@alenatenjo
@JohnnyTuturro
@lunar.eclipse
@TheTigerWriter
@NotARussianBot

Got any from your stories? If not, do you know of any well-known or famous fictional characters that used this trope?

1 Like

Bump.

I would say most of the main characters in Watership Down fit this trope. /(=^ェ^=)\ /(^ᆺ^=)\

1 Like

Any from your story or no or maybe?

1 Like

None that I can think of. All of the characters change, either from being selfish, irresponsible and hedonistic to the exact opposite; or else they start off noble, decent and saintly but then something traumatizing happens to them and they embrace the dark side. ¯\_(ﭢ)_/¯

1 Like

I wonder if that is a trope you would like to dive into.

1 Like

No death, but near death, Jack Ogswold did become somewhat of a better person, but he remained his trickster self, causing problems with his friends, annoying them as always. Classic Jack.

2 Likes

Also, Kaiver from the Elgana books. He’s a reluctant hero trope through and through.

But no death.

2 Likes

@TheTigerWriter

What about any character who has died defiantly?

2 Likes

Hmm, well that goes into antagonist realm.

2 Likes

But they don’t die XD

2 Likes

I don’t mind that.

The character doesn’t have to play the hero or villain role, but if they do, that is alright with me.

1 Like

Know of any from well-known or popular fiction that fits this thread?

Death is only reserved for the super evil, utterly terrible “rule the world because I can” villains in my stories. Usually, antagonists just suffer.

I do have one. She’s a snow leopard biped named Bristya who is power hungry and greedy so much so that her “self” dies and she turns into a magick-eating monster. So she kind of dies and kind of doesn’t change :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t worry, she will eventually die.

1 Like

Ha! LOL!

1 Like

As for someone who doesn’t change in fiction books out there, one that comes to mind is Mrs. Coulter from His Dark Materials trilogy. Despite she tried to turn things around at the end, it came off as really selfish and skewed. It never sounded like this character had good intentions. So, even when it was revealed she really was Lyra’s mother just before her death, it left a bad taste in my mouth. Lyra was definitely conflicted about this because Mrs. Coulter did horrible things to Lyra and her friends.

Spoilers in case some people haven’t read the books. Even the death of this character is a spoiler :grimacing: If you’ve read it, you know.

2 Likes

Oof…

1 Like

Yeah, I never liked that character, which means, great writing, Philip Pullman.

2 Likes

Spoilers abound…

The USS Johnston could be a real world example.

1 Like