Do you know any PUBLISHED authors that are THIS VERY EXAMPLE?

Before you come at me with comments that all writers are essentially storytellers, NO! NO! NO! NO! I shall tell you why.

Being a writer, yeah you need to be an even greater storyteller, but NOT EVERY WRITER can pull off storytelling of their novels, the same as the do with their writing.

Some storytellers are NOT great writers, Some writers are NOT great storytellers, but there are some few writers that can pull off both very well.

So, my question to you all, do you know any published authors who are good storytellers, but terrible-ish authors or is a good writer, but not a great storyteller?

Thoughts and feelings?

5 Likes

@JohnnyTuturro
@Akje
@JojoDahlia
@alenatenjo
@SecretDurham
@J.L.O
@lunar.eclipse
@TheTigerWriter

Tell me, TELL ME!!! LOL!

1 Like

Can you give an example? I’m not sure I understand what you mean… (♯^.^♯)

1 Like

It’s the different between a writer and a storyteller.
A writer in the grand-schemes of things knows the craft, the grammar, the context, and how to write a story, which is harder to pull off for most.

A storyteller tells the story, but the way they do it is how to grab the reader. Olden days, storytellers grabbed in a crowd by getting immersed into their tales. Storytellers just tell a story in a way that people find themselves in awe of it. That is also too hard for some writers to do.

Writer AND Storytellers who are great at both (depending on the author) can write the story in the way it is told and knows the craft in a way that makes the story literally comes to life.

NOT all authors can pull that off so well, though that depends solely on the reader.

Does that make sense or not?

1 Like

Yup! I can’t think of anyone like that, though. Can you name any writers like that?

1 Like

So, you haven’t read an author where the story would come off as trite due to the writing?

I supposed the prose is good, but the execution isn’t the greatest.

Vice versa.

1 Like

Brandon Sanderson. His stories are good but they’re hindered by terribly mediocre prose. In fact, I think most of the SFF genre suffers this issue. But that’s not necessarily a flaw of the author; it’s “science fiction prose” a specific writing style.

3 Likes

I heard that.

Is there a way to stop that type of prose, but still be engaging?

Probably not.

1 Like

I should think better prose would make it more engaging. Who prefers bad writing to good writing? ÂŻ\_(ď­˘)_/ÂŻ

3 Likes

The Overlord light novels are pretty dry but at least they are dyslexia-friendly.

2 Likes

Some people…SOME people…

2 Likes

But how would I judge that? Would I have had to hear them talk to judge if they are a good storyteller?

Or would I judge based on if the author has good writing, but the plot sucks?

3 Likes

Yes and reading?

2 Likes

I’ve seen:
Undeveloped ideas with bad writing (blind cat story)
Good lore with mediocre plot and okay writing (The Markswoman by Rati Mehrotra).

I haven’t seen good writing with bad plot.

I’ve read one where the plot and writing is okay. I might not like the characters and their annoying relationships particularly, but the world building was enough to keep me going somewhat (Star Daughter, Shveta Thakrar).

3 Likes

Interesting comment.

2 Likes

funny-pictures-interesting-cat

3 Likes

I suppose it’s purely subjective.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think so.

2 Likes

Someone I knew on another Writers Site said that I was a Storyteller firstly, and a Writer secondly…
I knew not how to take that comment at first, but I accepted it in kind manner…

I have since realised that I indeed just wish to tell a story, and that anything else is just worldbuilding for me… And that is how I approach my works now…

SD

2 Likes

Yeah, I truly want to be that for not only myself, but future readers too.

1 Like