Does anybody have a special name they call their grandparents?

Just curious.

Thoughts and feelings?

5 Likes

Nana.

It is weird to call my grandma anything else.

4 Likes

I just say Granny for my grandmother and my grandfather, Pepaw.

4 Likes

@NotARussianBot I say Nana, too! :grin:

Grampy is for my grandfather.

For Japan, it’s Obaachan (informal. grandmother) and Ojiichan (informal. grandfather).

3 Likes

That’s cute :grin:

3 Likes

In Spanish it’s Abuela and Abuelo. La is always feminine and Lo is always masculine so you can probably figure out which is which.

3 Likes

Fun fact: I know a very, very, VERY tiny bit of Spanish, so I know the la and lo situation :wink:

I’ve always thought Abuela is so pretty :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Thanks.

2 Likes

I don’t have a name for my grandparents because I never knew them, really.

But now that my parents are grandparents (really weird), we like to call my dad pop-pop. xD Just out of the blue. We’ll see what the little one will eventually call them, though.

3 Likes

That’s cute! :grin: What does he think of it?

I once asked my mom what she would want to be called when she became a grandma and she said, without pause, “Nana”. My dad kind of shied away from that conversation :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Well there aren’t a lot of nice words to call an old man. A ton of insults for them, though!

3 Likes

lol, true XD

2 Likes

I call my maternal grandma “Gran”. My paternal grandfather “Granddad”. My paternal grandma and maternal grandfather were not in my life, so they never really had special names.

When my youngest brother was small he used to call my maternal grandmother “Meemaw”, which was very sweet. I have heard that this is a common term in the southern parts of the US, which makes sense because his dad’s from there (not my dad).

1 Like