Does anyone here do those personality trait quizzes for their fictional characters or no?

I’ve been curious about wanting to do those.
Like those enneagram quizzes that you see online. So, are those helpful for new writers or any writers who want to really understand their characters?

I am talking about those quizzes and test STRICTLY for fictional characters and ONLY fictional characters…NOT YOURSELF.

So, enneagrams, Myers-Briggs, Jung and many more, are they better suited for when you make a fictional characters?

What do you think?

3 Likes

I really like ennegram, they’re helpful to flesh out a character’s arc and are good archetypes

2 Likes

Know of any good websites for it?

Some for the late reply. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like
2 Likes

All thos quizzes are pretty good, but honestly my personal favourite is the “Magnus Archives Entity quiz” since TMA has my favourite system for classifying personalities and it’s really fun.

3 Likes

Nope, I never use them. I just base my characters on real life people I know or have known in the past. It seems to me that real life people have interesting quirks and anomalies that those quizzes never take into consideration. ( -.-)\(^◡^ )

3 Likes

Lmfao, oh dear I’m Marvin. But more assertive.

Either I am an unhealthy 8, or a very adjusted 5 if you believe the theory.

2 Likes

Had a feeling you would say that.
:sweat_smile:

1 Like

I like using enneagram, 16 personalities, and zodiacs for inspiration/help in fleshing out my characters, and they’re fun. But they’re also highly inaccurate so I only use it as a small basis.

Tbh, it’s hugely to procrastinate LMAO.

2 Likes

Personally find it confusing, and it takes too long to do one, and idk if I trust it to be accurate.

I’ve tried some on myself. Some popular ones. I do it honestly. They get me wrong for half of it. Like, no, I’m not a leader type person. What about the quiz did you get that from???

Am I doing something wrong? :stuck_out_tongue: So, if it won’t get me right, surely not my characters, I think. I just let my characters do their thing.

2 Likes

No.

3 Likes

Your answer is my answer in one word XD

2 Likes

@Akje, @J.L.O, and @TheTigerWriter:

Honestly, I don’t even use those either. To be completely honest, I don’t go into detail on what my character’s personalities/quirks/mannerisms/flaws are when I write. I write the story and the characters are just mere reflections of whatever their role is in the story.

So, Jorildyn is a knight from a wealthy family, she behaves in the manner of a knight…sometimes. She is loyal, determined, emotional, and caring.

That’s how I build my characters.

2 Likes

Makes me want to do the exact opposite XD

Write a knight who is disloyal, disinterested, cold, and mean.

Actually, I almost did this for two characters in two different stories.

2 Likes

Ack! I can try that method in Red Blizzard and Firstborn…someday!

1 Like

lol, did I give you another idea? :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, you did.
Red Blizzard is the aftermath of Red Reign.

I mean Jorildyn can start off as those things and slowly morph into something else that’s darker.
Really considering making her a Renegade much later in the series.

1 Like

Its facets of me me amd others, not hard to keep them consistent. Maybe if I wrote somethi g I sidnt understand the personality of, I would do it.

1 Like

Anybody else?