Does this happen to you too?

I was writing something else, and then I realized that I’m not gonna get anywhere unless I write out what was on my mind, even if it was something completely different than what I was writing before.

Your mind becomes so wrapped up in that one thing that it can’t move and is stuck in time at that current point. Does that ever happen to you? Or is it just a me thing?

5 Likes

constantly as someone with adhd, my mind switches gears every three seconds and results in me having multiple wips, projects, ideas, etc that never get seen to fruition because i’m still jumping from one thing to another :face_with_spiral_eyes:
it sucks wanting to write one specific project but your mind going “no. work on x instead NOW” so i definitely feel you.

3 Likes

And the harder that I try to write Y, X is like X gon give it to ya, write me write me! My brain rebels like that.

2 Likes

and unfortunately the x just spirals on like this until you give in

3 Likes

As I said in DM, I get that every day for a single sentence with spouse and kids in my face. On really bad days I can’t pick up a story to write or read.

2 Likes

Yeah, and it’s really annoying. I know what I want to, and have to write, but my brain is being a brat.

2 Likes

Nope! But most people seem to be that way, so it must be me who’s messed up. When I get a new idea I just write it down for later no matter how amazing it is, and forget it until I’m done with what I’m working on. I can only live in one universe at a time, and my mind obsesses about that one story until I’m done with it, and even a little after that. I honestly get separation anxiety every time I finish a book, and can’t really get into the next project until I’ve had some time to let go of the old one. I just live and breathe that one book until it’s finished, thinking about it in the shower, jotting notes about it when I’m at the supermarket, etc. I just can’t get it out of my head! (♯ᴖ.ლ)

3 Likes

Yep, but if it’s something in that same story, I push it away for later because the current scene is more important.

Different story tidbit? I might go write it. Or edit it in, or whatever I gotta do. But I never spend a lot of time on it because the current project is more important.

Yeah my mind starts a story and then gets obsessed with either a later scene (then I get stuck on how to get there) or another idea completely and I just kinda have to go with it or I’ll get nowhere