Does your character have any philosophies, morals, some type of code, or even a motto that they live by?

Well, do they?

Tell me all about it.

3 Likes

When I was developing Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, I read Catch-22. This is essentially Niko’s whole life philosophy.

“From now on I’m thinking only of me."

Major Danby replied indulgently with a superior smile: “But, Yossarian, suppose everyone felt that way.”

“Then,” said Yossarian, "I’d certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn’t I?”
― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

2 Likes

Sounds really cool.

1 Like

Here’s the problem, he’s in a quasi-romance novel. He has a sort of playful, rebellious attitude.

1 Like

Aww! How fun!

1 Like

Some of them do.

Daya in Winners Don’t Have Bad Days has a motto of, it’s not bad

Ismar’s motto in She Kills Elephants and Men is I didn’t create this world, I live here.

Ferrante in To Marry a Dragon has words he recites to his opponents before charging them as per his Paladin’s code of behaviour.

3 Likes

I like that, I like it a lot.

2 Likes

They all do.

I don’t let on all the time but I’m highly religiously conservative (that comes with a ton of assumptions, only some of which are true), AND I have to balance that against relating to people in here with highly different worldviews.

So one of the things I’m forced to deal with is everyone doing the best they can with what they understand.

So, EVERY character I touch has their own moral compass paradigms, religions, mantras, biological drives. If they are a different world or species, they ain’t us.

Now, most of it I don’t address bluntly enough for people to pick up on, but a little is.

Rachael from Begging is for Losers? The title is something she was taught as a child, and it does play a part in the story. She tends to not ask much of her mate because she won’t beg–so she doesn’t even get close to it and tends to not lean on him as much as you should a partner. He winds up point blank asking her why it’s ok for him to need her but not for her to need him before she cracks.

Another thing she carries with her is Blondes aren’t pretty. They often fade away. This is part of why she didn’t have a lot of consistent interest in her mate or her own looks.

4 Likes

Sara will do anything to save herself and her family, even if it ruins laws. She has a very strict policy to herself where the only situation in which letting a hostage die would be if saving them would cost a city - for certain. If there is even a sliver of a chance to get the hostage back - say 70 - 30, where 70 is more people die, she will say save the hostage.

Malika, the LI, admires Sara for this. She would want to be like that, too, so unflinchingly sure about her values, but she isn’t, and she often has a rosy view of the world where she hopes everything will be solved on its own in such cases. She will not risk that 70%, and instead, she will hope the kidnappers don’t kill the hostage, despite knowing it is unrealistic to expect that. She has no spine, and it makes her easy to push around in the story, which is one of her growth arcs.

2 Likes

Good question!

Pandora: I can do this.
She says it in a way to encourage herself to do things that might be hard, scary, or risky. They aren’t always good things. She makes mistakes.

2 Likes

I got reacquainted with my story of Allthalos and Esme from To Make a Kinder Children’s Tale this week, and that has something that belongs here: the two of them are circling about each other, arguing over how much of their life is like a fairytale and how much they don’t believe in them. In he end, they try to make their story more like one: believing in happy endings, living happy endings for their children’s sake–that type of thing.

1 Like

90% of my characters are just hedonists

1 Like

They eat a lot of Carpe?

1 Like

This dude?

1 Like

Nah, was thinking Carpe Diem and Carp.

If it’s something that GenZ knows about, odds are I ain’t thinking it.

1 Like

“party first ask questions later”

1 Like

Carpe Diem! Now I understand.

This isn’t a GenZ thing, it’s even nicher than that.

It’s not really “seize the day” but “have fun and prosper”

If it’s something a Mellenial who keeps getting accused of being a Boomer would have to be introduced to, then it’s all GenZ, lmao.

1 Like

Hell, that sheet is Overwatch and I just got sucked into the trap that is called AFK Arena.

The Churroverse is a barren wasteland of outlaws.

1 Like