Don't you love when you come across something you thought you'd hate...

but ends up falling in LOVE or liking it a great enough deal in the end?

Whether it was books, movie series, television series, and etc, this gave the right vibes in the end.

Tell me all about it!
Thoughts and feeling?

5 Likes

@NotARussianBot
@Akje
@alenatenjo
@JohnnyTuturro
@J.L.O
@AMMeyers
@TheTigerWriter
@copyedit
@JojoDahlia
@SecretDurham

I canā€™t recall the last time that happened to me. I suppose that I didnā€™t see myself becoming a Dragonball fan this time last year, but I knew what I was getting into with the series. I donā€™t think it counts.

2 Likes

I will allow it.

1 Like

Sort of! I just finished Persuasion by Jane Austen, which I was really only reading as research for the time period Iā€™m writing my own book about. So I wasnā€™t expecting to like it particularly, but it turned out to be a really good book! Not something I want to read a second time, but definitely five stars on Goodreads from me. (įƒ¦Ė˜į“—Ė˜įƒ¦) :heart:

1 Like

All the time :joy:

3 Likes

Honestly never considered myself a huge fan of Science Fiction. The concepts, when explained without watching/reading, seemed so confusing and convoluted that I just noped out of the entire thing without giving it a serious look or consideration. Plus, aliens used to scare me a lot as a kid lmao. I think what introduced this hatred was my uncleā€™s over-explaining of Star Wars (which I saw bits and pieces of and was frightened by), and seeing bits and pieces of X Files which was my dadā€™s favorite lol. Both turned me off as a kid and scared me, making me believe that ScFi just wasnā€™t for me.

But as Iā€™ve gotten older, Iā€™ve actually delved into Science Fiction and really like it! Thereā€™s still aspects of it that feel confusing (mostly because these aspects are meant to have a suspense of disbelief to them), but Iā€™ve genuinely enjoyed most of what Iā€™ve watched, read, and even played.

I guess the first big ā€œhintā€ that I like Science Fiction was the video game Mass Effect. Absolutely brilliant. Love space. Love the characters. Love how aliens were introduced (not that aliens always have to be apart of Science Fiction). This led me to looking into older movies like the Star Wars series (watched them all recently with my boyfriend who also hadnā€™t seen them and we loved the trilogy!), then led me to reading books like Flowers for Algernon (still in the middle of it, pls donā€™t spoil, but I am loving it!), as well as movies like E.T., Arrival, etc.

Now thereā€™s a bunch of Science Fiction stuff on my list (along with my old-time-love fantasy), and I canā€™t get enough of it!

So, I guess to answer your question Mass Effect was like that for me. I only gave it a chance because itā€™s by Bioware who made my other favorite series, Dragon Age, and I heard really positive things about it. So very glad I got past my unwarranted hate because I love it!

3 Likes

Ooh! Thatā€™s so awesome!
I love how you fallen in love with science-fiction after giving it a second try.

Sometimes, second chances are good. :grin:

2 Likes

Many thoughts, one feeling XD

Your typo just tickled me :grin:

Thatā€™s all.

Something I thought I would hate that I now love?

Idkā€¦thereā€™s very few things I hate from the start. Iā€™m pretty open to things, whatever they are.

There are things I thought would be awesome, but I ended up not liking it much in the end like some book series (Iā€™m not talking about Shadow and Bone trilogy for once XD).

There are things that I thought would be boring, but boring to me doesnā€™t equal a hard dislike. I donā€™t mind that it exists in my life.

And there are things that I donā€™t like, but not hate. I donā€™t like Donald Duck episodes (his voice is annoying, but thatā€™s the point), but if it comes on, I would watch until the end and enjoy myself. I wouldnā€™t seek it out, but I would enjoy it if itā€™s easily available to me at that moment.

In the end, I like cartoons, so if itā€™s a cartoon, I would watch it and enjoy it.

Long story short, I donā€™t have an answer to your question :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Ha! I just caught on to that little mistake!
Lol! :laughing:

1 Like

It can be anything. Food, music, genres, fashion, etc.

The sky is the limit as they say. :smiley:

1 Like

I really donā€™t have anything :stuck_out_tongue:

I never go into something thinking I would hate it. I always go into something thinking ā€œI wonder what this thing is likeā€. Iā€™m always curious about everything :grin:

Just asked my partner the same question and he said watching sports, specifically, womenā€™s volleyball. Also, heavy metal music, specifically, the soundtracks in Attack on Titan.

1 Like

I love your way of thinking so much!

1 Like

Try it, and find yourself down several rabbit holes XD

I end up going down Wikipedia rabbit holes so much. Even outside of writing I collect random information.

one of my rabbit hole episodes

Okay, so, I know how homeopathy works (or doesnā€™t work) because I learned that Tina Turner passed away last year, and I knew Proud Mary but not how she became famous, and I learned she was ill and tried homeopathy which made her even worse.

And I thought, huh, what is homeopathy and how does it work? And Wikipedia was too technical, so I went to YouTube to find some simple infographic explanation of it. Basically, they believe if you have a fever, you take something that also induces a fever and itā€™s supposed to somehow cure you with the same thing.

But homeopathy dilutes the thing until thereā€™s hardly any left of the original thing, but the people who believe in it claim the water ā€œremembersā€ what was in it, so the pill will still cure you.

But it mostly doesnā€™t and itā€™s all placebo effect. So, the overall conclusion is that well, you can use it but it might not work for you and youā€™re probably better off using other medicine. BUT some people swear by it so it is kind of a controversial topic for some die-hard fans.

That made me wonder how heavily Tina Turner believed in it.

Also her name was Anna Mae and I thought the video guy said ā€œAnimeā€ and I was so confused until I looked her up on Wikipediaā€¦which is where I discovered homeopathy.

Yeah, itā€™s a lot :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Last time that happened was when I watched Supernatural for the first time. Turns out itā€™s just a mix of X-Files, Buffy and Lucifer :joy: I really liked it

2 Likes

Lucifer the seriesā€¦

I was working a nightshift (House sitting in general), and my colleague put it on the TV. At this point I was writing, and had written quite a bit considering that I kept looking up to watch this seriesā€¦

Well, the next time I was set for a few Nightshifts I ended up watching them all, and to my full suprise, I enjoyed them for what they areā€¦ A good bit of fun!

SD

1 Like