Dragon's Den: Pitch Me Your First ~600 Words {On Hiatus}

@twisted_shadowlands

Also, I’d like to quickly clarify some traditional clothes and words used in dialogue since this book is kind of set in a different culture.
Si: Used in this context when someone is persuading someone else.
Aki: Used in this context to display earnestness.
Leso: Large, light pieces of fabric that women wrap around their heads and waists for modesty. Since they’re usually wrapped over a dress, it is common to remove them when not in the presence of men who don’t belong in the family.

I am unsure if this is a culture that exists in real life or one you invented for your novel, but either way, I’ll note that introducing terminology the intended audience may be unfamiliar with will only confuse them. And if it’s a fantasy culture with a made-up language, your audience won’t want to go back and forth between a glossary to figure out what the words mean (trust me, I made up a language for a book and it just confused everybody). So keep that in mind.

The voices spilling through the door reminded her of a pair of constipated dogs, and Akiba didn’t like it one bit.

Well, that’s one way to evoke an image lol. I would recommend using a different word than “spilling” though, personally. Spilling implies that the door was open. Since I assume the door is shut, you could probably even take spilling out completely. “The muffled voices through the door reminded her…” or “The voices arguing on the other side of the door reminded her…”

Like, in all honesty, why did men do that? Let their voices dissolve into unintelligible growls when they shouted?

Growling and shouting are two very different timbres of conversation, so this doesn’t really make sense. I would argue you don’t need these two sentences.

It grated like sandpaper on Akiba’s ears and did nothing for her nerves. Nerves that she needed to be ice-cold, now that she was in the process of creating an alibi.

I know what you’re trying to say here, but I would suggest a different word than “ice-cold”. An alternative: “Nerves Akiba needed to be as steady as her mother’s hands stuffing bits and pieces of skin…” You’ll notice I took out the alibi bit, but not permanently. I would move it (I’ll explain below).

Next to her, mother stuffed bits and pieces of skin into a jar and shoved it into a hole in the wall.
Akiba wiped the pool of blood they had created and sprayed the area with a scent-stealing potion. There. A few more minutes and it would be like they hadn’t stabbed, skinned, maimed or mutilated anything .

Did they create the blood? Or did it come from a corpse? I would choose a different verb here, just for clarity, or, better yet, you could let it be inferred. Also, a “pool” of blood probably wouldn’t come up with a simple “wipe” (maybe a “puddle” would). This is mostly preference, but when cleaning up a pool of blood, I think “mopping” would be more effective to indicate the quantity. “…mopped the pool of blood from the floor and sprayed…” or “wiped the puddle of blood from the floor and sprayed…”

This is when the alibi part would be really effective.

“A few more minutes and their alibi would be complete. It would be as if they hadn’t stabbed, skinned, maimed, or mutilated anything.

Though, now I’m wondering if it’s really an alibi, since that’s indicating they were in a different place than where a crime happened, which doesn’t seem like it’s the case here. With that in mind, I would recommend using “evidence” instead of “alibi.” “A few more minutes and the evidence would be gone, as if they hadn’t stabbed…”

The grating growls outside intensified, telling them that they didn’t have a few more minutes. That they would be lucky if they had a few more seconds.

I think you could take out the marked text above. It actually slows down your pacing when you want it to be really snappy to indicate fast-paced activity. The conversation following will indicate the urgency.

‘Si, you wait a minute?’ Father’s voice floated up, exasperation giving it a bite it otherwise never had. ‘How can you enter into a women’s lab just like that? What if you burst in and find them with their headscarves off, you leecher?’

This paragraph is…odd to me. I don’t mind your descriptive clause “exasperation giving it a bite…” but for the sake of wordiness, you might consider revising to something like “Father’s exasperated voice floated up with uncharacteristic sharpness.” I also am unclear on the “How can you enter into a women’s lab…” question. Why would he ask this question? Wouldn’t he tell the other “You can’t enter a women’s lab just like that! What if…”
I also would recommend changing “women” to “woman” or “a women’s lab” to “you can’t enter women’s labs”. I suspect you used it the same way people say “women’s locker rooms” but it jarred my reading experience.

I also suspect you meant the word “lecher.”

Akiba’s mother screwed the last jar closed and stuffed it into their hiding place. They started sliding a fake wall over the entire ensemble of jars of skin, blood, and the occasional, grisly bit of a body organ.

“entire” here is redundant. You could potentially take out “a body” too, because the blood and other scene-setting elements indicate a body is involved.

‘Bwana Malifedha, this is a huge pain in the neck for me too, you know,’ came Inspector Warsame’s lazy voice, ‘but aki I have to move quickly. I have to get home as fast as possible.’

A loud bang told Akiba that her father had thrown himself in front of the lab’s metal doors. ‘Wait,’ he grunted, ‘wait a few more minutes.’

Are they upstairs or downstairs? Since Father’s voice floated “up” earlier, I assumed they were on a second story, so make sure you have continuity there. Also even with metal doors, it’s likely they would hear a “thud,” not a “bang,” which is a sharper sound. If the Inspector is in law enforcement (of some kind or another), it’s likely he wouldn’t use empathy: “this is a huge pain in the neck for me too”. “I have to move quickly, I have to get home as fast as possible” again, coming from some type of law enforcement, wouldn’t likely be realistic here. If he’s trying to force his way in, he would be telling Father to get out of the way, to move, that he “doesn’t have time to wait.”

‘I can’t,’ Inspector Warsame groaned in return.

What were they doing out there?

Based on what the story is telling us, Father is trying to keep Inspector from coming in. I don’t mind this sentence terribly, but it’s a bit superfluous.

‘God, it’s just two minutes,’ father snapped, ‘a courtesy two minutes . Have some respect, man.’

With her mother’s help, she pushed at the fake wall a little more. Then it did the worst thing it could in such a situation. It got stuck .

You could take out that first sentence and combine it with the next. “As they hurried to push the fake wall closed, something jammed and the door refused to budge another millimetre.” Show, don’t tell in this instance. This is a critical moment. “Telling” us the door got stuck doesn’t have as much impact as describing it.

‘This is a matter of life and death!’ Sshouted Warsame.

‘What is?’ Father yelled back.

‘Can’t you see ?’ Warsame shouted, ‘ Mtaka cha Mvunguni Sharti Ainame is airing in twenty minutes. I have to get home. Do you want me to miss an episode, you demon? Do you?’

I’m not sure if this is intentionally hyperbolic, but it seems a little odd to me that an Inspector wants to do his job so he can get home to watch a TV show, especially comparing it to life and death (also, if you’re adding a dialogue tag to the end of a line of dialogue, even if there’s punctuation like exclamation points and question marks, the tag should still be lowercase unless it’s indicating an action, not a tag).

ie. ‘This is a matter of life and death!’ shouted Warsame. vs
‘This is a matter of life and death!’ The Inspector tried to muscle past Father.

I would reconsider the reason the Inspector wants to get done and go home, and realistically, he doesn’t need to explain his reason, since he is the Inspector.

The pair back inside the lab tried throwing threw their whole weight behind the fake wall. It let out a shriek reminiscent of wind tearing through the thorny leaves of a dry acacia, before coming to a stop millimetres before its destination.

“back” is redundant here. They didn’t “try”, they “did.” I like your description here.

The inspector had to must have heard the screech. What could they do? What story could they make up?

You probably don’t need the additional questions, but they’re not technically dealbreakers.

As if subsiding into a calm before the storm, the bickering outside the door stopped.

“Like the calm before a storm,” reads better.

Then the door crashed inwards, Father and Inspector Warsame tumbling before them in an untidy heap. Mother took the brief, elusive split second before they looked up to slot herself in front of the gap in the wall. As the pair on the floor untangled themselves, she clicked her tongue. ‘Disgraceful,’ she said.

I’d recommend “slammed open” instead of “crashed inwards”. That sentence probably needs to be reworked a little. “The door slammed open and Father and Inspector Warsame tumbled before them in an untidy heap.”

“Mother used the split second of distraction to plant herself in front of the gap in the wall.” Just a couple word change preferences.

‘Yes dear,’ said Father, getting to his feet and throwing Inspector Warsame the stink-eye, ‘he really is.’

‘Bwana Warsame,’ Akiba exclaimed, painting a brilliant smile on her face and getting ready for a dance she had done over and over the past few weeks. Of course, the dance had never included a gaping wall hidden behind Mother’s back.

According to the earlier description, it’s not technically “gaping”. “Of course, the dance had never included an exposed hiding place” or something like that.

But that…was nothing talking very fast couldn’t fix. ‘How wonderful, marvellous, beautiful, amazing and stupendous it is to meet you again for the fifth time this week! I have absolutely missed you. So, will it be a tour, or do you want to see what we did with the shipment of limiter ore we received? We managed to make an ultra-thin , ultra-small square with that limiter ore, actually. We’ve doubled our production, and…’

Behind the two of them, Mother and Father were having those internal conversations they always had.

Is this an actual internal conversation like telepathy or were they giving each other not-so-subtle glances? “Behind them, Mother and Father were communicating with pointed glances and facial expressions.”

Akiba glanced at them, wishing they didn’t look so obvious, before glancing back and finding Warsame also staring at her parents.

My conclusion:

Overall good. I suggested lots of word changes for the sake of either brevity or clarity–and that’s up to you to change–but be sure the words you choose are portraying your actual meaning (such as the growling vs shouting example). Your hook is good. What are they hiding (seems pretty bloody) and will the Inspector figure it out if the hiding place is open? I think there’s a little bit of hyperbole in here that you could trim down, but for the most part, your descriptions put us in the scene without being overdone. I would focus on trying to make the Inspector’s dialogue a bit more forceful/scary since clearly he can do something to them if he figures out whatever they’re hiding. As I mentioned earlier, I would reconsider if the words you described in the beginning are really necessary because, to me, they didn’t add anything to your overall story. You could always introduce them via dialogue later, but honestly, I would advise against it if your story is primarily in English.

5 Likes

Ah, this was extremely helpful — thank you so much for all your suggestions! I’ll definitely work on the catalyst and hinting at Angelina’s end goal, which is to survive the wilderness and another threat that’s revealed later on in the novella. And don’t feel bad, haha; I’ve had my fair share of brutal critiques that made my writing better :))

My book’s genre is mystery/thriller, and I put the blurb here in case it offers any more context:

Summary

Mere weeks after the start of sophomore year, Angelina Jung awakens in the middle of the wilderness, stranded with no explanation. When she finds three other college students in the same predicament as her, she isn’t sure what to believe.

With all their recent memories erased, the four must set aside their uncertainty in order to survive. From enduring the harsh conditions to facing their inner demons, it’ll take all their resilience to overcome this true test of their strength. However, the forest will soon become the least of their worries as a ghost from their past surfaces, enmeshing them in a ploy more sinister than they could imagine.

Some secrets are meant to be buried.

Thank you again for the detailed critiques! I’ll keep on working, editing and revising :))

4 Likes

Everyone in the amphitheatre-style meeting room looked at me with either disdain or dislike. Everyone apart from Amy.

Arriving at a company-wide meeting ten minutes late didn’t make me uncomfortable as it perhaps should have done. Instead, I raised my coffee cup at our CEO in a mock greeting - he didn’t know me - and slid into the back row next to Amy. She, unlike everyone else that turned to look at me, actually smiled. A genuine smile showing teeth and sparkly eyes. I was used to women looking at me like that outside of work; not in work where I had a reputation for being an arse.

I balanced my cup in the small space between us and pulled off my jumper. “What’d I miss?”

Amy shook her head, her grin fading. “Not good. Not hitting targets. Probably a restructure. I’m guessing redundancies.”

I nodded. I’d no doubt be first in line for the chopping block.

Amy leant forward, away from me, to listen more closely, her long dark hair falling over her shoulders. Her body language prevented further chat, signalling an end to our first ever conversation.

My mind wandered from the dismal company outlook being presented at the front of the room to my new friend, Amy. I’d seen her around the office plenty of times before, our paths never crossing, yet she possessed a quiet confidence that drew me to her like an invisible cord.

She’d worked at K for a long time, but had been based in the London office when I first joined in DM. I had come in to head up the sales team and there was no reason for us to meet in a work capacity, so I’d missed the opportunity to get to know her when she transferred from London a few months earlier. Everyone else, who had been around much longer than I had, seemed to respect her. She had the effortless grace of a city girl, whereas the rest of us small-town folk showed up to work in jeans.

This is a lot of “telling” not showing and reads like backstory. Backstory is really helpful for you as the author, but for the reader, it gets long and tedious. Since none of this seems to matter in the grand scheme of your plot, you can weave these details into dialogue or other areas.

I wanted her to know me and, after our first real encounter in the amphitheatre, I set out to achieve exactly that. But she wouldn’t take my bullshit. When I was being adorable, I could see a twinkle in her brown eyes that said, ‘Yes, Jude, I know you’re trying to be charming and I’ll go along with it, but don’t think I’m falling for it.’ Frustration and excitement collided.

Based on this paragraph, nearly everything before it is extraneous. You wrote several paragraphs of their first meeting which wastes precious words and, if I’m reading this correctly, actually doesn’t add anything to your story with the exception of their meeting (and is more backstory). You could narrow down those first paragraphs to a handful of sentences, and maybe take them out entirely.

I quickly deduced she had a boyfriend; anyone I mentioned Amy Bales to was quick to inform me of this detail, as if my reputation preceded me. Irrelevant information at first, but as my connection with her grew, it did become important. She mentioned him all the time. John this, John that. It shouldn’t have mattered. My wife, Liz, had been dead less than six months at that point; I was hardly able for anything new.

This is more backstory and a lot of telling not showing. Again, weave these details into the main part of your book or intersperse with dialogue.

Being widowed widowered at thirty-six was something I hadn’t quite figured out. I kept this particular piece of information to myself and separate from my job and social life. I didn’t live close to the office, so my private life was easy to put in a box, and flirting with Amy was a nice distraction from everything. For a few moments each day, I could talk to her and forget about what a mess my life had descended into. I knew a few people thought she could be quite elusive - even superior sometimes - but she was perfectly open with me. I guess I made her comfortable. I think she secretly had a crush on me. All the women at work did.

My conclusion:

Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of backstory that ultimately, as the reader, we don’t need to know, at least not in the first 600 words. Most of this could probably be woven into the story as the novel progresses, or cut completely and implied with dialogue or how your characters act or respond to other characters. I’m guessing some kind of corporate love story, but outside of that, I don’t have much context. There are no stakes here. Amy is pretty, she has a boyfriend, MC is widowered and both a player and still grieving his wife. This is all pretty bland and doesn’t give me any idea what the plot of your novel is. There isn’t a hook, there isn’t something that tells the reader “Hey, something is happening here, you should keep reading to find out what it is.”

This is very common for many writers (myself included). We get this great idea in our head and then as we’re fleshing it out, we start writing, only to eventually realize that the first 2-3 chapters are just introductions and backstory–helpful for us when we’re fleshing out characters and settings, but ultimately, that’s the only person it should be for: ourselves. By that point, readers are long gone. Your book should start with the scene that jumpstarts the story. What is the catalyst for your plot? Is it a love story? Is it about Jude getting over his wife’s death? What makes the corporate love story plot exciting and different in your novel? Why should your reader keep turning pages to find out what happens next? This is a tricky balance, I know, because we’re trying to build worlds and introduce characters without boring our readers to death and still make sure they know enough to understand the plot as it unfolds. But unfortunately, in this case, there isn’t anything here that indicates what that plot is. I would take some time to think about what story you’re telling and where it actually starts, then work in details and backstory as the book progresses. The best question I’ve learned to ask myself is: “What is the event that puts the rest of the plot in motion?”

In this case, it’s not Amy and Jude’s meeting, and it’s not his wife dying, so what is it?

This probably came off pretty harsh, and I hate sounding that way, but I think you started your book a chapter or two too early. I would recommend picking a different starting point. Give us stakes and a goal and an idea of where the story is headed so that we’ll keep wanting to turn the pages. Your MC spends a lot of time narrating his thoughts on stuff here, so maybe focus on trying to show his character through his interactions with your other characters instead of through his inner monologue.

5 Likes

And again, you totally don’t have to reveal this early on, but the survival bit is good, we just need to get a little more context first. :slight_smile:

Awesome! You’re welcome, I hope it helped in some capacity and wasn’t too brutal. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

These reviews must’ve taken so long — I feel bad for not doing anything in return. Let me know if I can somehow express my appreciation beyond messages on the forums :))

4 Likes

Haha will do! I’m happy to give them for free right now so people can see what they’re getting into lol. Thanks for being the first guinea pig. :joy:

5 Likes

Of course :joy:

6 Likes

Did I hear guinea pig?!
:back_that_t_up:
Alright I’ll go now and not clog up the thread xD

6 Likes

Thanks so much for this! I’ll definitely take it into consideration in future rewrites. I’m not usually called out on too much backstory as I love writing dialogue/action, so my stories often go too far the other way! My choice here was because Jude is pretty full of himself, and I can imagine him setting the story up this way: ‘It’s all about me’. But I can see how this first 600 words reads when you point it out.

Just one small thing that the editor in me can’t leave alone - widower is the male version of someone whose wife has died, but widowered is not a word (in British English at least). Widowed means to become a widow or widower.

Thanks again!

4 Likes

Thank you for doing this! I have a manuscript I put through three betas and grammarly. I am aiming to self-pub this by the end of this year.

first 619 words

Pinti jumped over a bush. It was a miss and just a leaf. She lost the scent of the squirrel again.

“Wait for me!” Her sister’s pawsteps came thumping behind her.

“Quiet,” Pinti hissed over her shoulder, twitching her whiskers in frustration. She sniffed the air and brushed leaves away with her foot, searching for the scent trail. It had to be around here somewhere!

At last, she found the scent. With a trill, she latched onto it and didn’t let go. She ran, leaving her sister behind. Bushes snagged on loose fur. She left behind tufts of blue but didn’t stop.

The forest began to thin. Uneven terrain flattened out. Her heart thumped, for the edge of clan borders lay just ahead. The squirrel rounded a tree and disappeared, taking the scent with it.

“Not again!” Pinti scowled, and only then did she stop. She could tell smells apart but following them was a whole other story. Her clan’s Hunters trained all the time to follow scents for catching prey. Sometimes, the Hunters would even look stupid—she’d seen them. Making sure her sister hadn’t caught up yet, Pinti dropped down on all fours like an animal to get a good whiff of the dirt. But she wasn’t a Hunter, so the scent was lost.

“I know what scents,” she grumbled as she stood, brushing dirt from her paws. “Just not where scents.”

The barricade stood before her—a wall made of tangleroot trees with crooked black branches and jutting tangling roots preventing the clan from going out. But there was one place, a small opening she could fit under. And maybe this time, she could go all the way and not just poke her head out to peek.

Do I dare try? She wondered with a smirk, swishing her bushy light blue tail back and forth in thought. She had never thought of sneaking out, but right now, it sounded a lot better than trying to find the vanished squirrel.

“There you are!” Her sister came panting behind her, not exactly the fastest runner but always determined to keep up. Tendri flopped down on the ground in a pile of wet leaves. The little blue bundle stretched out and whined. “Can’t run anymore!”

Pinti trilled in amusement. “Oh, but we’re just getting started.”

As her sister groaned, Pinti closed her eyes to test her nose. If she concentrated hard enough, she could stretch her senses and find scents far from where she stood. She could imagine where those scents were using her acute sense of hearing if there was anything to listen to. Now at the edge of Makiista Clan’s borders, she wanted to see how far she could go. Hunters of prey would train years to do what she did.

“Father will be so mad you’re not studying.” Tendri chided, but Pinti flattened her ears and ignored her. She didn’t want to study. She didn’t want to take after the clan like her father wanted her to. Every day was like duty had its claws around her, holding her captive.

What if I just leave? She trembled with excitement at the new thought. Not just beyond the barricade. What if I go to other Rings? Then I’ll surely have to rely on my senses. Satisfied with her rebellious decision, she concentrated on the scents and sounds around her.

She smelled the musty wet soil from yesterday’s misty rain. And the sweet scent of flowers and fresh new-green for spring was on its way. She listened for the insects as they scuttled beneath the leaves and grasses. And the single stream that stretched beyond clan borders traveling across the field and into the territories of other clans.

2 Likes

Haha same!

Oh, good to know! It is a word in American English which is why I changed it. But obviously that doesn’t need to change since you’re writing British English. :joy:

4 Likes

I love discovering these things! I have a cheat sheet of words that are different across British, American and Canadian English for when I do editing, so I’ll have to add this one to it!

6 Likes

Oh, of course :sweat_smile: The culture does exist in real life, and the terminology I specified is something I and nearly everyone around me use in everyday dialogue. Not using them makes my dialogue really stiff as a result. But you’re absolutely right. I should find a way to slip them into the story without confusing the readers even more.

Writing that inspector is becoming quite a pain in the neck :sob: :joy: I’m trying to make him more of the CMHB (Crouching Moron Hidden Badass) variety. (Seemingly lazy and frivolous but ruthlessly good at his job nevertheless) but…yeah. I’ll have to go back to the drawing board on that one, it seems. :smile:

Thank you so much. Yes! I’ll be doing my revisions with what you suggested as soon as possible. Thank you again for taking the time to do this! You’re actually one in a million!

5 Likes

These critiques are SO good! Thank you so much for doing this! :heart:

Here are the first 567 words of my WIP Anemone Sky.

Summary

She saw the world in another light.

In her eyes, everything was bright and shiny. Wherever she looked, she could find something to smile at. In school, she was known as The Happy Girl. Everybody knew her name, but few were aware of the true meaning behind the name Anemone. She was the daughter of the wind …

“You have decided to be late for school today?”

The voice was teasing, interrupting the soft tones coming from the piano. Anemone lifted her fingers from the keys and turned a bright smile towards the voice.

“Good morning Loyal! - I didn’t hear you coming.”

“Sure you didn’t. You forgot about the clock as usual. Now, come on!”

A hand was stretched out to her and she happily accepted, walking out of the door hand in hand with her best friend Loyal. The tones of the song she had been playing before she was interrupted were left unplayed in the room behind them. There, the tones would be waiting, ready to live their short life under her playing fingers as soon as she once more got the time to sit down by the piano.

The closer they came to the school, the quieter Loyal became.

“It’s always like that,” Anemone thought with a slight frown between her low brows. - His smiles and laughter were reserved for her.

Anemone, however, shone under the stares of the other students. She waved her free hand whenever she heard the voices of people she knew and flashed her gleaming smile to left and right. Tugging at Loyal’s hand, she jumped across the yard in front of the school building and dragged him with her. Eager, as always.

They reached the end of the hallway, and Loyal had to yank at Anemone’s hand to prevent her from crashing into the wall in front them with full force, due to the high speed she held.

“Whoa, whoa, take it easy! You don’t want to harm the beautiful school walls, do you?” Loyal commented with a hint of sarcasm in his voice, eliciting a giggle from the girl in front of him.

“I may be a bit too eager today,” Anemone admitted, “but I have a good reason.”

“Yes?”

Loyal’s voice was laced with doubt.

“What reason?”

Gripping Anemone’s upper arm, he guided her around the corner of the hallway, afraid of losing his hold on her in case she would run away just to tease him.

“Mum called me today and promised me that she and I will spend the afternoon together. She’ll be home for the whole evening!”

“Well, that’s good.”

Anemone didn’t fail to notice the lack of enthusiasm in her friend’s voice. Was he not happy for her?

“Is something wrong?”

“No, why should there be?”

Loyal was quick to answer, but failed to sound convincing.

“You could still come over today as we planned. Mum wouldn’t mind.” Anemone assured.

“You sure?”

“Positive!”

The smile was back on Anemone’s face as soon as she found the root to the slight change of tone in Loyal’s voice.

“We’d be happy if you could come!”

“Then you can count me in.”

Rushing to their first lesson together, the two friends had plastered an equally big smile on their faces. Loyal’s smile was directed at Anemone. Even though she didn’t seem to look at his face, she could surely feel that he was happy.

2 Likes

A smidge over 600, but here it is.

Summary

THERE WAS FIRE EVERYWHERE.

“Josh?”

Dark flames devoured the surrounding trees and licked at the air. Like an entity, the fire’s black ends reached for him as he sprinted through the forest. Moonlight cut through the plumes of smoke, the beams stained an eerie purple. Enraged roars and pained shrieks rose over the crackles of his life falling to pieces.

“Hey, you need to come on.”

A dull creak, and then a groan. He lunged forward, narrowly dodging a falling tree. The fire burst from the collision and spread across the ground. He squinted back at the trees. Smoke stung his eyes, but it couldn’t cloud his vision from the nightmare around him. For his entire life, this forest had been his home, and now it was being destroyed without a second thought.

A high pitched noise squealed, distant yet nearby at the same time.

“Give me a second, I’ll get him—”

A woman’s anguished shriek broke through his haze. He gave his head a sharp shake then continued onward, bounding over fallen trees and jutting roots. A home wasn’t the only thing he risked losing. He had to find them before

“Dude!”

Something shoved Josh’s shoulder, and he jerked to attention. The blazing trees vanished, and a forest of milling students took its place. Some stared at him with a mixture of concern and amusement while others walked into a large brick building with the words Wellington High School along its top.

A blaring drone blasted in his ears. Someone pressed a hand against Josh’s arm and urged him forward.

“Come on before Joe runs you over.” A familiar dark-haired boy had been the one to speak and force Josh along. A name slowly lifted from the fog in his mind—Tom.

And past Tom’s shoulder was a bus. The driver glowered down at them, his mouth moving in what looked like words that could get him fired.

Josh raised a hand toward the man. “Sorry!” he called.

Joe’s expression didn’t change, but he at least stopped grumbling.

They moved off the road and onto the school’s sidewalk. With a grumble and hiss, the bus traffic came back to life.

Instead of continuing on into the school, Tom pulled Josh to the side. “What in the world, Josh?”

Josh rubbed the heels of his palms against his eyes. They stung and his throat itched. “Sorry about that. I guess I zoned out back there.”

Tom snorted. “Zoning out isn’t stopping in the middle of the road with Joe honking like crazy and not moving.” He peered at Josh. “You on something?”

“Yeah, I’m pretty sure I’m standing on concrete.”

Tom rolled his eyes. “I’m being serious, you idiot.”

Josh shrugged, attempting to look casual but more trying to find a way to roll some of the tension from his shoulders without being noticed.

“Look, I told you the truth. I zoned out. Started daydreaming. Whatever. And yeah, you’ve never seen it happen to me, but, well, you know…” He gestured at his head.

The worry vanished from Tom’s face in a heartbeat. “Wait, you’re telling me I’m finally getting to see the famous Josh Davidson Zone Out?”

“You know you’re an idiot, right?” Josh asked as he continued into the school. The more he moved, the further the burning forest felt.

“Hannah’s seen it, and it’s about time I did as well so I could really solidify my role of best friend,” Tom argued.

Josh rolled his eyes. When he was a kid up until he was eleven, he’d had intense daydreams that he couldn’t control. Tom had moved to Wellington at the end of middle school, a couple years after they stopped, so although Josh had told Tom about the events, he’d never seen it happen.

They should have stayed gone, too, but it seemed the burning forest dream didn’t play by the rules. Because that was what it had started as—a dream.

3 Likes

I love that kind of stuff too! Uh, would you mind sharing me your list…? I mean, if you don’t have a problem with it, that is… I might possibly have some additions. Maybe. I try to keep a mental list but I’m not sure, you might have gotten them all already xD

2 Likes

@MiniMoxx

‘Forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us. Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.’

I’m unsure if this is just an introductory chapter quote, but if it’s not, I would cut it.

Living with religious parents would normally be a good thing for any kid. My mum would often tell me that believing in religion, in God and Jesus, and living as they would… it gives her a purpose, it makes her a good person so that she can be a model person.

A lot of people have really traumatic experiences with religious upbringing, and since you’re introducing religion early (though I’m not sure that’s the ultimate reason for your novel), I’d be careful with that phrasing. You could probably cut it completely.

“My mum often tells me that believing in God and Jesus, and living as they would, gives her a purpose. It makes her a good person so she can be a model person.”

‘God and Jesus do not expect us to be perfect, Aspen, that would be silly. But they give us rules to follow, to be better people. Jesus died for our sins. We must not let him down.

In theory, she has a point. But I don’t know if I believe in all of it. If Jesus and God do not expect us to be perfect then why should we model ourselves for them and pretend to be something we’re not? We’re human and we get one life on earth—if God doesn’t want us to be perfect, then why shouldn’t we eat that piece of cake, or drink alcohol… or have sex before marriage? If we don’t steal, murder or commit a crime then surely we’re still modelling ourselves in being ‘good’.

Having flaws, having weaknesses, making mistakes and learning from them is what makes us human, right? And if God made us human, and He is perfect then why would He be God? Surely He would want us to be flawed and make mistakes so that we aren’t too much like Him?

Make sure you’re consistent with your capitalization. In the context of your novel, capitalization seems appropriate here.

But Mum would never have any of that. We must be good—never lie, never have sex before marriage, never have a termination, never date anyone who isn’t religious, we cannot never drink alcohol. Heaven forbid if I fell in love with another woman. ‘God believes in Adam and Eve, Aspen. Otherwise, humans would stop existing.’

For phrases like this, make sure to maintain continuity for ease of reading. That last sentence was a run-on.

So when Joel Watkins asked me out on a date on our third week of university, to a pub to drink alcohol I didn’t hesitate to say ‘yes’.

I would remove “date” and put “pub for drinks” in its place, because the dating at that point is implied and helps with readability. Also in reference to your last paragraph, the alcohol is implied (along with the word ‘pub’). “So when Joel Watkins asked me out to a pub for drinks during our third week of university, I didn’t hesitate to say yes.”

Also, fun fact, Chicago Manual of Style (CMoS) says you don’t have to put ‘yes’ in quotes when phrasing it this way and best practice is to refrain from doing so.

A black-haired, blue-eyed beauty studying journalism compared to my English degree, he is everything I know my Mum would slightly approve of. If it weren’t for the tattoos and the love of heavy metal music and the non-religious side of him.

I wouldn’t use “compared” here. Maybe “complemented”.
“A black-haired, blue-eyed beauty studying journalism which complemented my English degree”
“he is everything I know my Mum would slightly approve of” needs a little reworking.
“He is everything Mum would approve of if it weren’t for the tattoos and the love…” might read better.

Okay, maybe Mum would hate him.

I’ll be honest, this made me laugh.

“Here we are… home.He smiles when we stop in the kitchen of our flat.

This is an action beat, not a dialogue tag, so you can use a period here. Also, whose flat is it? Does she live with him? Her mother?

“Well, you promised to take me out, and I got the full journey. I got picked up—” I hiccup “—and brought back again. A proper gentleman.”

I would use “experience” instead of journey, personally.
CMoS says you don’t need the period after hiccup.

He snorts. “I aim to please.”
“You did just that, Joel,” I giggle. He goes into his assigned cupboard and pulls out another bottle of whiskey. “That’s just… tempting fate.”

Okay so there is a lot of conflicting information about what I’m going to mention next, so take this with a grain of salt: even CmoS isn’t really clear on this. However, between Aspen’s first dialogue and second dialogue in this paragraph, Joel does an action. This, to me, makes this paragraph confusing because it’s almost as if he is the one saying “That’s just tempting fate”. Some experts say that’s fine because technically a new speaker isn’t speaking. However, others say that when a new character does something (think of it as a camera angle change that shows him going to the cupboard), that should be deserving of its own paragraph to help differentiate. The other option is to make it a compound sentence if you don’t want to break it up, ie.:
“He goes into his assigned cupboard and pulls out another bottle of whiskey and I add, “That’s just…tempting fate.””

Again, there doesn’t really seem to be a hard and fast rule about this (and I spent a good week trying to figure out what the standard is some time ago), but for readability purposes, I would at least clarify that Aspen is still speaking here, if not put Joel’s action on a new line altogether and then another new line for Aspen’s next dialogue.

“I thought you didn’t believe after growing up in a faithful household, young Aspen,” he jokes.

I don’t answer and take his hand. He leads me down the long corridor into his bedroom. I notice he’s decorated the drab, white walls with posters of various bands and concert posters. Totally against flat guidelines, but he doesn’t strike me as one to follow the rules. That’s what attracted me to him in the first place.

This is another good example of what I mentioned above. Technically, the speaker hasn’t changed, but a new scene and set of actions have begun. I would go ahead and put these sentences in their own paragraph.

“Before we open this, I want to ask you something,” Joel says seriously.

Same here.

I stop moving. My blue eyes fire into his to create a clash of fiery ice. I can feel the tension build up like the moment you’re ascending a roller coaster to get to that ultimate drop.
I remember the time my parents took me to Disneyland—my Mum hated the big rollercoasters, but Dad and I loved them. I remember that exhilarating yet scary moment you ascend the tracks, knowing there’s a drop coming but you’re still scared despite knowing you’re also safe and excited.

Oof we got through all of that to end on Disneyland. I would recommend moving Disneyland somewhere a little later, or at least, following whatever he’s going to ask her.

My conclusion:
So far, we know Aspen was raised in a religious household and might have some different thoughts on that, and might(?) be either trying to stay in line with that or…not. Maybe it’s a story about her exploring her sexuality or rebelling against her parents or learning that her mom’s religious views were something she shared all along, but there’s not much of a hook to indicate stakes. I think you hinted at possible conflict with her mom over religious views. If religion plays a big part in your overarching plot, I would emphasize that more in terms of stakes. Coming from a religious household and deciding to break with that is a BIG deal for a lot of people, so there needs to be either a bit more urgency or a little less exposition on her mother’s religious views, depending on which way the novel’s plot is leaning.

There was a mention earlier of her dating a woman, and I’m not sure if that’s important or not, but if it is, that point needs a little more emphasis in the first 600 words. If Joel is just a stop on her way to discovering who she really is, there doesn’t need to be as much exposition about him or even dialogue. If her dating a woman was just a line to indicate how religious her mother is, I’d take it out.

What is the ultimate goal of the novel? Is it for her to discover/come to terms with who she is? Is it to fall in love with Joel? Is it to get her mother to love her for who she is? There needs to be some indication of that (or whatever your overall plot is) because in your first ~600 words, we don’t really have an idea yet. I’d even argue that, unless the religious themes are really important across your novel, you could probably condense them down significantly and give yourself a few more paragraphs of precious first words to hook your reader. I would consider what the “catalyst” event that jumpstarts your novel is, whatever it is, and make sure you emphasize that in here somewhere (Dating a woman? Losing her virginity? Coming around to her mother’s way of thinking?) so we become more emotionally invested in your character and want to know how that event/issue affects her and moves the story along.

Overall, your writing is good. I think it just needs some tweaking to make the hook clear so the reader wants to continue.

1 Like

@PaperThinSkin14

If one were to study Silver Avenue from afar, they probably wouldn’t linger. A small collection of about two dozen houses, it was designed to look perfectly unnoticeable. From the slightly shattered and fogged-over windows to the ancient and worn boards that made up the sallowed domestic frames, it matched every other neighborhood in the near vicinity—decrepit and worn. The air carried the smell of violence. Spilled blood, maybe, or lingering gunpowder. The haphazard buildings were all small, looking like they were intended for only two or three people but considering the conditions probably housed four times that many.

Snow drifted down, small near-identical flakes slowly blurring the world into a white smear. Their simple innocence was set against the dreadful backdrop of Silver Avenue, the cold whispering sweet nothings to the distressed air.

That was Sterling.

Poetry and gunpowder.

The last two lines are really good ones, but I think they don’t have as much impact as they should because there’s a little too much exposition on the neighbourhood setting. I would move the “gunpowder” line and the “sweet nothings” line closer in proximity to each other to really highlight the “Poetry and gunpowder” line. Describing a couple dozen houses that aren’t supposed to be interesting won’t be interesting to the reader, either. Mention their state more in passing, because while you’re taking a few paragraphs to explain why they’re nothing special, the reader will lose interest waiting for you to explain why they are special. Consider this (just as an example of what I mean. Obviously, write it the way you want):

The unremarkable neighbourhood of Silver Avenue reeked with the smell of violence: the copper of spilled blood, the acridity of gunpowder. The drab houses were small, rundown, and probably packed with four times the bodies they were designed to hold. White, innocent snowflakes contrasted against the squalid streets; the cold whispered poetic sweet nothings to the distressed atmosphere.

That was the city of Sterling.

Poetry and gunpowder.

But this particular little neighbourhood was a curious thing. Normal eyes would be fooled by the miserable illusion of suffering that rendered the house indiscernible from others. Instead of sunken walls and broken dreams, it was in fact a collection of splendid houses home to some of the most magical residents found in the kingdom, quite possibly the world.

This is where things start to get interesting. Take out the first sentence, you don’t really need it. Same with the “rendered” clause. I would add some kind of transitional phrase here. “If they’d been inhuman, though, instead of sunken walls and broken dreams, they’d see the collection of splendid houses…”

Again, just another example.

On this one particular evening, the house was filled with a supernatural whimsy. To most, magic was a precious and rare thing. To the Starr family, it was a game.

Your first clause could be simplified, I’d point out “the” house more emphatically, and tighten up your phrasing here. “This evening, supernatural whimsy filled one of the grand hidden houses.” The rest is good.

Girls with indigo hair and matching dark and ravenous purple-blue eyes laughed as they trailed their hands through the air and created tricks of the light in their wake. They reveled in the brilliance of their own sorcery. It was a celebration of the unique and spectacular.

“and matching dark and ravenous purple-blue eyes” ← this gets a little wordy, consider trying to cut this description down a bit (but keep ravenous eyes, that part is great).

The members of the Starr households were widely varied. The entire block was inhabited by members of the Starr family, and 17 Silver Avenue served as a sort of headquarters. People of all ages roamed the vast halls—small children chasing sparks and holographic animals, teenagers doodling idly on their arms, and adults passing around shimmering drinks. Bright, elegant music played throughout the house. Everyone was clustered together on the main floor, save one person.
Well, one living person.

Take out the passive voice here. “Members of the Starr family inhabited the entire block and…”

The “Well, one living person” sentence should have more punch and the only reason it doesn’t is that we don’t yet know what creatures these are. Are they vampires? Zombies? Magical undead fairies? Your descriptions are very good, but make sure a sentence with that much intentional weight has the lead-up to counterbalance why it should have that much weight.

“Come on, Jay,” said Ink Starr. She poked her head around the staircase before tiptoeing down carefully. She was followed by a tall girl with dark wispy gray hair who glowed faintly. Content that no one was watching her, Ink made her way past the partygoers and into the front foyer.

“Content” indicates happy, pleased, satisfied. Is that the meaning you want to put across? If not, I would change this word to “Certain” or “Convinced”.

“You sure about this?” Jay asked. “Last time your mom caught you, she was pissed.”

“I know, but this is important,” she insisted. She raked her fingers across her scalp, and the colour of her chin-length wavy hair shifted from a sultry purple-blue to a soft, snowy white. With a tap of her cheek, her skin became mottled with freckles and her features grew older. Ink swiped her index fingers across her eyelids, and when she opened them her irises matched her hair. Finally, she pulled a clear, twisted hairpin from her newly coloured locks and jabbed it into the tip of her finger.

“her skin freckled” would cut down words.
“her features aged” would also.

Also, her hair isn’t coloured anymore, so I would change this to “paled” or “colourless.”

“Was that really necessary?” Jay asked as Ink turned the blood white as milk.

“You can never be too careful.” Now completely unrecognizable, she pulled a shimmering white hood over her head, silently twisted open the door, and stepped out into the bitter winter air.

My conclusion:
You have really great descriptive writing, and I could see your setting in my mind’s eye. I think it just needs some tightening up because really, you don’t have to do all the work for the readers to visualize all of this and it will save you some words to get across what the stakes are here. There’s a hook: what is Ink doing, why is she sneaking out, why was her mom pissed, why would she want to leave such a house with supernatural whimsy? What are these creatures of supernatural whimsy? The contrast of the drab/violent/rundown neighborhood with the glamorous houses is a nice contrast and lends an air of suspense–what do these whimsical supernatural people do that leaves that kind of violent atmosphere in the air? Some of your additional descriptive phrases (ravenous eyes, especially) indicate there is a darker undercurrent here and the contrast is really well done. I offered some suggestions and a few changes just to save your word count because I hate to see your beautiful imagery marred by too much wordiness, which ultimately takes away from the overall effect you’re putting across here (if y’all haven’t noticed yet, I’m very VERY wordy, so this is something I struggle with too and have to intentionally remind myself that words are great, too many words are not :joy:).

But really, this is very good. Just tighten it up a bit and I think it’s a really really solid intro. Nice job.

2 Likes

@TheTigerWriter

Pinti jumped over a bush. It was a miss and just a leaf. She lost the scent of the squirrel again.

What was a miss? You could probably combine those two first sentences. “Pinti pounced and missed. She lost the scent…”

“Wait for me!” Her sister’s pawsteps came thumping behind her.

“Quiet,” Pinti hissed over her shoulder, twitching her whiskers in frustration. She sniffed the air and brushed leaves away with her foot, searching for the scent trail. It had to be around here somewhere!

At last, she found the scent. With a trill, she latched onto it and didn’t let go. She ran, leaving her sister behind. Bushes snagged on loose fur. She left behind tufts of blue but didn’t stop.

You could take out “It had to be around here somewhere! At last she found the scent…” because this is just filler. “…searching for the scent trail. She trilled when she found it and didn’t let go.”

The forest began to thin. Uneven terrain flattened out. Her heart thumped, for the edge of clan borders lay just ahead. The squirrel rounded a tree and disappeared, taking the scent with it.

“Not again!” Pinti scowled, and only then did she stop. She could tell smells apart but following them was a whole other story.

“a whole other” is a pretty common phrase, but better to leave out “whole.” “…following them was another story.”

Her clan’s Hunters trained all the time to follow scents for catching prey. Sometimes, the Hunters would even look stupid—she’d seen them. Making sure her sister hadn’t caught up yet, Pinti dropped down on all fours like an animal to get a good whiff of the dirt. But she wasn’t a Hunter, so the scent was lost.

“I know what scents,” she grumbled as she stood, brushing dirt from her paws. “Just not where scents.”

The barricade stood before her—a wall made of tangleroot trees with crooked black branches and jutting tangling roots preventing the clan from going out. But there was one place, a small opening she could fit under. And maybe this time, she could go all the way and not just poke her head out to peek.

Do I dare try? She wondered with a smirk, swishing her bushy light blue tail back and forth in thought. She had never thought of sneaking out, but right now, it sounded a lot better than trying to find the vanished squirrel.

“There you are!” Her sister came panting behind her, not exactly the fastest runner but always determined to keep up. Tendri flopped down on the ground in a pile of wet leaves. The little blue bundle stretched out and whined. “Can’t run anymore!”

Pinti trilled in amusement. “Oh, but we’re just getting started.”

As her sister groaned, Pinti closed her eyes to test her nose. If she concentrated hard enough, she could stretch her senses and find scents far from where she stood. She could imagine where those scents were using her acute sense of hearing if there was anything to listen to. Now at the edge of Makiista Clan’s borders, she wanted to see how far she could go. Hunters of prey would train years to do what she did.

What was the point of chasing the squirrel? What does it add to the beginning of your story, or your story overall? Was it just to get Pinti to the edge of the barricade? You can cut out most of the chase if that’s the case, it’s a lot of telling not showing and feels superfluous.

“Father will be so mad you’re not studying.” Tendri chided, but Pinti flattened her ears and ignored her. She didn’t want to study. She didn’t want to take after the clan like her father wanted her to. Every day was like duty had its claws around her, holding her captive.

Is Tendri her sister (I know it has to be)? Careful when namedropping like this, better to have Pinti address her as “Tendri” to introduce her, especially if you’re working in third-person limited. This is telling, not showing Pinti wanting to avoid her duty. It might be better shown via dialogue with her father.

What if I just leave? She trembled with excitement at the new thought. Not just beyond the barricade. What if I go to other Rings? Then I’ll surely have to rely on my senses. Satisfied with her rebellious decision, she concentrated on the scents and sounds around her.

So was the squirrel chase just a way to get her to this thought?

She smelled the musty wet soil from yesterday’s misty rain. And the sweet scent of flowers and fresh new-green for spring was on its way. She listened for the insects as they scuttled beneath the leaves and grasses. And the single stream that stretched beyond clan borders traveling across the field and into the territories of other clans.

My conclusion:
Nearly 75% of the first 600 words was spent chasing a squirrel. You could probably cut the entire squirrel chase and begin with it disappearing beyond the barricade if it’s that important, but I’m not sure it is. We have two unhuman/animal-type sisters chasing a squirrel so the main sister can make a decision to go beyond the barricade. But the problem is, we the readers don’t know what the barricade is, what it does, what it protects (or imprisons), what kind of creatures these are, what their normal life looks like…we, unfortunately, don’t learn much about your MC, just that she’s faster than her sister and wants to get beyond a barrier we know nothing about yet.

My first scene in my novel for a long time was my MC fighting a vampire (yes, one of those novels lol). It took me YEARS to realize that, while it was cool (not really), it didn’t tell my readers anything about her, her world, her goals, her personality…just that she could kick vampire butt. And unfortunately, beginning a novel that way isn’t as engaging as we think it should be. A lot of us visualize our books in movie/TV format.

Opening scene in visual media: blue paws running through a forest, the glimpse of a creature jumping over a bush, up running again, another figure calling for the first to wait, then finally, the first stopping at a visual barricade in frustration. The problem is, while you can accomplish that in about 15 seconds on film, it doesn’t translate well to the written word. I ultimately moved the opening of my novel to when she got back to her home, post-fight because that’s when the catalytic event occurred. She gets back to find out something has happened, which jumpstarts the rest of the novel.

I would suggest reevaluating where your novel’s plot/conflict actually starts and what the catalyst is that makes the rest of the plot start to happen. What is the event that changes everything? What is the action that puts everything else in motion? In this case, I don’t think it’s chasing a squirrel. Especially when you’re introducing a new species to your readers, there are ways to do that which aren’t obtrusive and overwhelming to your reader.

You can weave it in as she examines her missing blue fur, or when she gets back her father gives her a lecture about chasing squirrels instead of taking her duties seriously. Set up the conflict – she’s trapped behind a barricade, her father wants her to take on a role she doesn’t want, and there’s a big wide world out there she wants to explore. Her chase doesn’t give us any of that–you even mention that other members of her clan would train for years to do what she did, but…what is that exactly? Introducing a species we don’t know and haven’t encountered before is exciting, but you know these characters inside and out–we don’t, so we need to know what the stakes are before we can be interested in why your character wants to get out of a world we haven’t been properly introduced to yet.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your critique!! Yeah, I definitely do tend to get a bit wordy sometimes :sweat_smile:

3 Likes