Everyone knows but your MC!

Name a secret/important information that it seems everyone (the important characters only) in your story knows, but your MC doesn’t know just yet. However, when that MC does discover the truth or the reveal, that character starts to change a bit.

My Turn:

Since I just thought about this, and it is making me think about my story personally, I can only imagine what my main characters don’t know.

So, in a sense, I wanted to do this. My three main characters know their parents are deceased because of some illness. However, among the imperial court, there will be talk that the parents of my three main characters have been murdered by someone. Everyone will know but the three main characters who will soon learn later who murdered their parents.

This example counts and yet it doesn’t. So, forgive me for that.

What about you? What doesn’t your main character or main characters know that it seems everyone else in the story only knows, yet it takes some time for the character to learn about it?

3 Likes

Everyone hates them!

3 Likes

Does that character ever finds out or not at all?

1 Like

They find out in time

1 Like

How did the character respond to learning that nobody like them? Did that character care or not? Did that character change their ways or not?

1 Like

I have something kinda similar to this. The MC is blackmailed into working for the IC (important characters). The MC is told (kind of) why they want her to work for them–but is never told the extent of her role. She’s led to believe that her role is very small and miniscule to further manipulate her into accepting. “Anyone can do this, you’re lucky we’re offering.” Type of delio.

Trouble is that her role is actually far more pivotal.

The MC isn’t completely unaware that there’s more to the story than meets the eye, as she is naturally distrustful and spiteful, but she’s not completely aware of what that is until the third act of book one when shit hits the fan and her whole world comes crumbling down around her.

2 Likes

It shatters them to say the least

2 Likes

Bit of a ‘taste of your own medicine’ kind of scenario?

2 Likes

Depends on if the aggresively friendly thing annoys you

2 Likes

Oooo that’s a tricky one. My main character is usually the one that knows everything that others don’t know.
But I suppose for the latest story, everyone eventually finds out why Creation is falling apart except for MC who finds out much later and from a very different source.
Then there’s the other thing that no one knows about until the book after but that MC finds out and keeps to herself :thinking:

OH! But there is that thing that happened in Book 3. A lot of the characters know about the sister except for MC. She and her people are the last to find out

1 Like

Quick Question: How many books do you have for this novel?

1 Like

Uh, that she’s a rat, and her father is a rat.

For so much of the beginning of the story Bethany is frustrated because no one is explaining any of the crazy stuff to her. That’s because they think she knows :stuck_out_tongue: Oh gosh. No, she doesn’t know.

1 Like

A rat, huh?

So, what makes her a rat?

1 Like

Uhm…well, genetics? XD

She’s literally a rat.

:rat:

2 Likes

Pfft…oh. LOL!

I wasn’t expecting that literal answer.

1 Like

That’s what the confusion was to her in the beginning. A rat can also mean a snitch. And her father did snitch to her mother’s enemies (she’s thought to be an FBI agent) about her whereabouts and got her in danger. So, when others ask Bethany if she knows her father is a rat, she says yes.

Then they think she knows that he’s a literal rat.

But she only knows he’s a snitch.

Imagine the other characters’ belly laughs when they find out the miscommunication :stuck_out_tongue:

That is instantly what I thought. LOL!
I was not thinking that Bethany was an actual rat in all honesty.

:sweat_smile:

1 Like

Right? XD

She doesn’t believe she herself is a rat either.

Until she transforms :eyes:

Looking forward to writing the scene where she wakes up as a rat :wink:

1 Like

Well, that was fast.

You answered my question, but in another thread.

1 Like

Four people who don’t know unicorns exist.

Everyone else has seen unicorns, but not these guys.

2 Likes