Final boss battles? Movies, books, or your own stories.

So, as I shove my characters toward a final boss battle, I thought I’d ask you guys about favorite final battles in movies or books, and about your own final boss battles.

I like the LOTR one. Pirates of the Caribbean. Harry Potter. Disney or Pixar often have great final boss battles even if the final boss might be a ship pulling fish from water (Finding Nemo). What about Star Wars? Star Trek? Some final boss battles were pretty epic. The satisfaction comes with the mains finally overcoming the big bad that was a threat throughout the story.

What about your favorites in movies or books? Games are okay, too. I didn’t mention any because I don’t play video games.

In my own stories, the big bads are usually the MCs themselves. They fight with self-doubt and whatnot. But for The Rat Girl, I actually have some stubborn villains that will be so nice to defeat…soon, hopefully.

What kind of final bosses await your characters? Doesn’t have to be fantasy.

4 Likes

The most epic one is the Final Fantasy one.

I like a sense of the rediculous–which is easiet to pull off in fan-fics for some reason. Had one for my husband’s work where I suggested that they use they Stay Puft Marshmallow Man as one of the monsters and have one character light it on fire, then another one try to make smores with it in the middle of this fight.

1 Like

I shall return soon enough.
Get ready fairly soon.

:sweat_smile:

1 Like

I am back, cool peeps!

Honestly, Renna will have to face either Nirvana or the Firstlings or both of them. She will get her fellow Rhaks to join in the fight a second time in order to take back their home world…do I want to go that route?

I don’t know. :thinking:

1 Like

lol that sounds awesome XD

That type of thing just makes the whole fight worth it, scene-wise.

But its harder to write in a serious story I less you’ve make one character out to be wholly unhinged.

1 Like

Lolita comes to mind as having a memorable “final boss” fight, specifically for the morbid humour of two hebephiles battling to the death over a girl old enough at this point to have escaped their radars.

2 Likes

Anime wise, the only final battles I am screaming internally to see happen will be the one in One Piece and Tower of God.

I am not too sure who will face who in the end. Yet the fight is going to be so fucking bonkers in an epic/badass way.

Especially, One Piece, because Oda is so unpredictable in a way that it is never truly certain where his mind will go with the manga.

1 Like

I think my absolute favorite would be between Avatar: the Last Airbender and Legend of Korra (specifically in the third season with Zaheer). Avatar’s, though, will always stand out in my mind because 1. it’s a movie event (roughly an hour and a half… or longer), and 2. they’re dealing with multiple storylines, so it’s definitely amazing.

Pirates is my next favorite because bruh, sword fighting is epic lol.

3 Likes

The books by Chris Ryan have some interesting, and very close, final boss battles. Good examples of how dangerous rogue Intelligence or SAS operatives can be.

The animated movie Jin-Roh is also a good example the ‘final boss’ realising a tad too late they are the hunted, not the hunter. We are not men disguised as mere dogs. We are wolves disguised as men.

And Warhammer 40K lore has plenty of great final boss battles. Here are two examples for the giant robot fans…

1 Like

YES. And the sword fighting on the ships in the stormy weather.

1 Like

Naval boss fights…

• The Cruel Sea
  • Run Deep, Run Silent
  • Greyhound
  • Master and Commander
  • Crimson Tide
  • The sinking of the Bismarck and the Yamamoto
  • Midway

Sword duel boss fights

• The Duellists
  • Rob Roy