Flow/Execution/Pacing? I am curious how I can pull that off in the editing stage!

I am not gonna lie when I say that I am uneasy about the story’s execution/pacing/flow. So, I am genuinely enjoying the ride of the first draft and the potential is really wonderful to me at least. I am just curious on how I can make it work, but I suppose I am too early to the game on that. I know that is something that I need to focus on when I am done with the first draft.

I am curious, but I will admit I like the direction of where the first draft is going.

So, how can I work towards getting my story’s flow/execution/pacing right? Because as of now, my first draft is fine, but I oddly feel that the pacing might be either a bit too fast or too all over the place. Even in the first draft, I can’t help but to wonder.

Thoughts and feelings?

2 Likes

@TheTigerWriter
@alenatenjo
@Akje
@NatilladeCoco
@HKelle
@J.L.O
@AMMeyers
@MatthewJH
@NotARussianBot

Tips or any advice to share?

For stuff like this I usually start by searching for YouTube videos:

There were about a million more from the usual suspects: Jenna Moreci, Abbie Emmons, etc. but I imagine they all say the same thing, more or less.

Next I’d try googling for writing advice blogs and podcasts maybe if those videos don’t help…? ¯\_(ﭢ)_/¯

Anyway, good luck! Getting the pacing of a book just right is hard. I find the best way is to let it sit awhile after it’s done, then read it though like a real reader would, marking all the places where it gets slow or boring, then tweaking those. __〆(..)

1 Like

Thanks so much!

1 Like

Through my reviews of writing advice websites… self-publishing school is the best place so far, so I’d suggest heading over there for resources :wink:

2 Likes

That is an actual thing? I had no idea.

1 Like

Pacing is mostly about sentences. If you want to go fast, be short and quick. If you want to be slow, go long and calm. But this is really generic advice lol

2 Likes

Interesting to know.

My pacing has to be a weird combination of both then, yet it leans more so on the faster side.

I can’t even explain it properly.

1 Like

And speaking of editing, you might want to bookmark this page:

I just noticed that @alenatenjo has an editing service, and though I’m not sure if these prices are in American or Australian dollars, the pricing is absurdly low. She’s a teacher, too, as I understand it, and must edit school papers all the time, so I’d trust her editing skills. That’s one more thing you could check off your list of things to do before publishing your work when it’s finished. See? Things are slowly coming together! ٩(˘◡˘)۶

2 Likes

Thanks so much!

1 Like

They’re australian dollars lol. And thanks for the shout out :heart:

2 Likes

Pacing isn’t a 1st or 2nd draft fix, often. And sometimes it needs an outside critique.

And a fast pace is fine as long as it keeps the standard your start sets. So, bang out the story, then look it over. Editing is a butt.

3 Likes

Thank you for setting me straight.

I am always worrying about stupid shit so early!