Gender-neutral names?

Why? A few of my male characters have names that end with the latin ending “um” which is gender neutral.

As I was going to St. Ives I met a man with seven wives.

3 Likes

each wife had seven sacks
and in each sack was seven cats
each cat had seven kits
kits, cats, sacks, wives
how many men were going to st. ives

god you just gave me nostalgia throwback. thank you.

1 Like

Long ago, I took it opon myself to memorize several semi obscure nursery rhymes.

i find it really interesting sometimes to have the females with male names

such as miguel who is most definitely not a guy

and the nonbinary characters with 21st century names

like ivy

(bonus: there’s a girl named theophanu)

1 Like

I thought by 21st century names you meant the word-salad of names like “caaaylie”. Ivy sounds modern but did you know that there is such a thing as Ivy flowers?

1 Like

they’re so pretty

1 Like

Mahl-MOR-ee-ah if I understand my research correctly. Damn Celtic names lol

Hence the nickname Mal. Makes his life easier

1 Like

It is pretty unique.

Well he was born in Ireland many centuries ago so by modern standards yes but at the time he was named not really

1 Like

Ah, I see.

Let me start with Epoch. I didn’t come up with this name, and I have the right to this because the original draft–the play–was written by many teenagers and me. In my version, Epoch is non-binary mainly because the play never specified Epoch’s gender.

I also have Vail, who is also non-binary.

Others include:

Pisces - she’s female, but I know the name is unisex.
Skye - non-binary character. Unisex name.
Deryn - non-binary character. Unisex name.
Quarry - non-binary character. Unisex name.
Briar - non-binary character. Unisex name.
Gale - non-binary character. Unisex name.
Dai - non-binary character. Unisex name.
Sam - non-binary character. Unisex name.
Jo - non-binary character. Unisex name.

1 Like

Some of my character names might be gender-neutral.

The first is Arden. I’ve always thought of it as a feminine name, until the second ARG happened on Wacky. There’s an NPC named Arden, and he’s male XD I also saw a story being promoted on the one of the Promote Your Writing threads, and one of them mentions a character named Arden… who’s male XD

Loren may also be gender-neutral. I thought it was masculine sounding, until I searched online and saw that there were girls named Loren. I also opened Snapchat and saw that one of the popular people on Snapchat is called Loren, and she’s a girl. I also know a girl named Lauren, and while the spelling’s different, the pronunciation is pretty much the same XD

I don’t think I have any other gender-neutral names besides that :thinking: oh wait, Rowan is a gender-neutral name. I know someone on Wattpad who’s a girl and her pen name (or real name, idk) is Rowan, but Rowan is a male character in my book.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.