I moved my stuff into my dorm. I’m becoming an adult :joy::sob:

1 Like

I don’t want to read

I just want to go to bed

1 Like

Why make us do reading ?

:beautifulheart:

1 Like

She barely skimmed over the first chapter…

I feel like I’m studying it too much… but at the same time I don’t want to under study either…

Then again, chap1 is really short

Hi

ignore this post

Pathophysiology Facts

Table of Contents

Different Types of Cellular Adaptions
Unintentional Injuries and Intentional injuries
General Adaption System (GAS)

Different Types of Cellular Adaptions

Atrophy - decrease in cell size. If atrophy affects a sufficient number of cells, the affected organ shrinks in size and is considered to be atrophic.
Hypertrophy - is a compensatory increase in the size of cells, occurring in response to mechanical load or stress, and results in increased size of the affected organ.
Hyperplasia - is an increase in the number of cells, resulting from an increased rate of cellular division. As a response to injury, hyperplasia occurs when the damage is severe or prolonged or when it results in cell death.
Dysplasia - or deranged cellular growth, is not considered a true cellular adaption but rather atypical hyperplasia. Dysplasia refers to abnormal changes in the size, shape, and organization of mature cells.
Metaplasia - reversible replacement of one mature cell type by another, less mature cell type or change in cell phenotype. Found in association with tissue damage, repair, and regeneration. It is thought to develop as an adaptive response wherein the new cell type may be better suited to withstand an adverse environment. Usually, however, the change is not beneficial.

Unintentional Injuries and Intentional injuries

Blunt Force Injuries -
Mechanical injury to body resulting in tearing, shearing, or crushing; most common type of injury seen in healthcare settings; caused by blows to impacts; motor vehicle accidents and falls most common cause.

• Contusion (bruise): bleeding into skin or underlying tissue.
  • Hematoma: collection of blood in soft tissue.
  • Laceration: tear or rip resulting when senile strength of skin or tissue is exceeded; is ragged and irregular with abraded edges.
  • Fracture: blunt force blows or impacts can cause bone to break or shatter.

Sharp-Force Injuries -
Cutting and piercing injuries accounted for 2734 deaths in 2007; men have a higher rate compared to women.

• Incised wound: a wound that is longer than it is deep, wound can be straight or jagged with sharp, distinct edges without abrasion; usually produces significant external bleeding with little internal hemorrhaging.
  • Stab wound: A penetrating sharp force injury that is deeper than it is long; if a sharp instrument is used, depths of wound are clean and distinct but can be abraded if object is inserted deeply and wider portion impacts skin; depending on size and location of wound, external bleeding may be surprisingly small.
  • Puncture wound: instrument or objects with sharp points but without sharp edges produce puncture wounds; classic example is wound of foot after stepping on a nail; wounds are prone to infect, have abrasion of edges, and can be very deep.

General Adaption System (GAS)

GAS involves three successive stages: the alarm, the resistance or adaption, and the exhaustion stages.

1. Alarm Stage - is the emergency reaction that prepare the body to fight or flee from threat (fight or flight). This stage involves the secretion of hormones and catecholamines to support metabolic/physiologic activity and boost the immune system to thwart infection and disease.
  2. Resistance or Adaption Stage - requires continued mobilization of the body’s resources to cope and overcome a sustained challenge.
  3. Exhaustion Stage - occurs when the body’s physiologic and immune systems no longer effectively cope with the stressor and marks the onset of diseases (diseases of adaption).
1 Like

Hi! What’s up?

Hello!
Nothing much, testing some coding for a coding assignment.
You?

I was about to go do homework now, but ig I can be 15 minutes more around :joy:

1 Like

This class is wildddddd
Like wtf is going on?

What class?

1 Like

Pharmacology

1 Like

That’s cool! We don’t have that here

1 Like

Well right now it’s crazy, hopefully it turns interesting soon :joy:

1 Like

Yeah, here we have optional subjects for foreign languages (English, Mandarin and French) and then one per every Universitarian career + technical training

1 Like

Ohhh that’s interesting
Which one are you taking?

2 Likes