Hard or soft: Magic Systems and Worldbuilding? (POLLS)

Which do you prefer in terms of reading and writing science-fiction and fantasy?

• Hard worldbuilding.
  • Soft worldbuilding.
  • An interesting combination of both?
0 voters
  • Hard Magic Systems
  • Soft Magic Systems.
  • An interesting combination of both?
0 voters

Choose wisely!
Thoughts and feelings?

4 Likes

@alenatenjo
@AMMeyers
@Akje
@SecretDurham
@MatthewJH
@copyedit
@JohnnyTuturro
@TheTigerWriter
@NotARussianBot
@J.L.O

Come gather all here today!

1 Like

Whichever is easy for me to write and keep track of in my mind is good for me.

Also, I think I should share this video. Wuxia type magic is more my speed, personally.

3 Likes

I don’t think I can choose for this one because I don’t have a preference for reading (as long as it has a good plot and good characters, I’m fine with anything), but I do have a preference for writing.

I prefer soft magic systems and soft worldbuilding for writing. I just can’t be bothered to create the hard stuff :stuck_out_tongue: I might go a little more into it for some stories, but definitely not to the point of hard worldbuilding or hard magic systems.

3 Likes

You can still vote, just do it for writing only.

2 Likes

My fave magic power is common sense.

:flushed:

3 Likes

Realistic fantasy, then!
:rofl: :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

How about scientific magic systems, like in the anime Unbreakable Machine Doll and Full Metal Alchemist?

Or the Forerunners from Halo. Science so advanced it’s basically magic.

The only difference between magic and science is time ~ unknown quote.

3 Likes

Ooh! That sounds very lovely and my kind of thing!

2 Likes

5 Likes

Gosh, everybody, I am very interested in how you can combine hard and soft worldbuilding/magic systems in one novel series?

How can you even pull it off? I made that option as a slight joke, but now I am very much curious.

:sweat_smile:

Roger that :wink:

1 Like

It’s probably something like, some aspects of the world are hard worldbuilding but some aspects are soft. That’s what I would guess.

1 Like

Ah, alright.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.