Has anyone illustrated your MCs for you? (share?)

One of the few pieces of fan art I’ve ever received. You’d think I’d have received more by now.

4 Likes

Cuter than I would have expected

1 Like

Huh? What were you expecting?

2 Likes

Something more serious

1 Like

I think the lighter art style (even if not necessarily chibi) fits better thematically if you’ve read my book, and beggars can’t be choosers. I’m sure if some artist felt inspired to send in fan art and it were darker I’d appreciate it just the same.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen a lot of book fanart that is for more realistic works, unless it’s romance, and usually that tends to be realistic. :man_shrugging: It’s like seeing a platypus for the first time, I’m not used to it.

1 Like

I’m not an artist, but I imagine it’s probably harder to draw more realistic art than cartoons? Most of the “realistic” art I see in Wattpad books is taken from stock images anyway.

I would commission art, but the last time I did that someone sent me stick figures drawn in Paint I could have made myself and got really mad when I claimed it didn’t match what I asked for. At least with amateur art that’s volunteered (and for the record I quite enjoyed the sketches I posted), you don’t need to haggle over if it was what they promised.

2 Likes

It would be harder, but if you go into Pinterest and look up “book fanart”, you’ll get a lot of realistic works.

I’ve never used Pinterest, so I can’t speak to that, only the facts of the matter as they stand on Wattpad. If anything, I’d say digital art is far more common than hand-sketched or hand-painted art on the site, presumably because of the ease of access.

So, where else do you go for reference material for your novel or whatever?
Far as pictures and other things…

Yeah! Here’s my main character by sarimopi on Twitter

And then here as drawn by my sister

And my dad who is an illustrator drew this for me for my birthday, one of the antagonists from my story. I’ll blur it though because it’s a bit zombie-ish (but not too bad)

I have a bunch more but those are my three favorites

8 Likes

You have really artistic family!

1 Like

thank you, and thanks for checking out their work.

2 Likes

I don’t use reference pictures, and I’m confused by what you mean. Like as illustrations within the book?

2 Likes

A lot of writers use Pinterest for inspo boards, reference pictures for setting/clothing/etc, stuff like that

2 Likes

@LacySheridan explained it better. So, look at her comment and you see what I mean.

1 Like

Oh, I do have a lot of character art. I can’t draw so other people draw my characters for me :joy:

The Other Realms Series

First we have Stella Vicente, one of my main characters (who I promise is not a self-insert anymore). The pencil drawings were by @thegreenninjafan while the colored drawing was by @MizzMizu!

Up next we have Jon, who is from the same series as Stella. The sketch in red is by @AloofFloof, the first pencil sketch is by @thegreenninjafan, and the last pencil sketch is by @MizzMizu!

And last but not the least, Eddie, the oldest member of the trio of main characters. The first pencil sketch was drawn by @thegreenninjafan, the middle pencil sketch was drawn by @MizzMizu, and the drawing with the blue background was drawn by @TheMidnightAssassin!

Blood Will Tell

So this is Arden Mægenstern. I think she’s pretty cool to draw since her hair covers her eyes—or at least one of them :joy: the pencil drawing was done by @thegreenninjafan, the second drawing was done by @GlitchandGlitz, the finger painting was done by @LSaLient, and the last bust shot was drawn by @rayraybites!

Then we have Edin, my protagonist. He’s such an adorable and bloodthirsty baby :pleading_face: @korralistic drew the first three drawings: the chibi of Edin being hugged by her character, Blake; the doodle of her other character, Lucius, pointing a gun at Edin; and a really quick doodle of him opening a can of tomato soup using his fangs, with Mini Arden watching from a very short distance :rofl: the three pencil sketches of him after that were drawn by @thegreenninjafan! That last drawing was drawn by @H2o :blush:

Edin Arden (korralistic)Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 4.04.25 PM

And then we have Damon, my horrible villain who apparently has the looks to attract his own simp army. No, for real. He not only has the biggest collection of character art out of all my characters, but some of those drawings were fan art, as in I didn’t even ask for those drawings. They were just drawn :joy:

It all started when I shared @korralistic’s drawings of Damon with some people, which are these ones (including the WIP sketches):

And let’s just say, he garnered quite some attention after those drawings :joy: I did not foresee any of these btw. Maid Damon and Damonia (basically Female Maid Damon) were drawn by @korralistic after people bullied her into putting him in a maid outfit; he also has a nice headshot by @xcasandrajulia; @H2o drew the red headshot of him; and last but not least, the rest of the pencil sketches were drawn by @thegreenninjafan. Yes. Neko Damon exists. So does his cheerleader version :rofl:

I didn’t predict that one day people would draw my villain in a cheerleader outfit with a miniskirt and a butterfly clip and abs :sob:

9 Likes

What’s an inspo board? Is the idea that if I didn’t know what a formal outfit or something looks like, I could check there instead of Google Images? Or is it like one of those mood boards I’ve heard about?

1 Like

It’s similar to a mood board. An inspo board is essentially a collection of images and quotes that capture the feeling/essence/personality of either the story as a whole or a specific aspect like a character, location, etc. Sometimes also including more literal reference pictures of what you imagine it to look like but mainly more about the feeling. I make them for every major character and they’re incredibly helpful. It’s a big part of my development process before I write.

And yeah, it works similar to Google Images but I find it much easier to find what I’m looking for there. Pinterest is gold for cool ideas. Granted if you’re not writing in the fantasy/scifi type realm it might not be as big of a deal. Plus Pinterest learns what kinds of things you look at and gives recommendations based on your boards or your searches in general which is amazing for boosting inspiration.

3 Likes

Wow, Stella, you have quite the collection of art-

2 Likes