Have you ever...(READ BEFORE COMMENTING)

NOTE: This is not writing related, just pure curiosity. Yet things might get a bit heavy if we’re discussing it.

Continuation: Have you ever watch either a documentary or something else that you found dark, but a bit of an eye opener?

I am talking about those historical documents or something along those lines that is pretty dark, but it just caused you to open your eyes a little wide or too wide.

I am watching a history documentary about things that happen during WW2 which is something I normally don’t do. But I am subscribed to a channel who normally discuss writing related topics, but this video is the YouTuber’s way of “spreading out a bit”.

So, I thought to watch it just because and it is a bit of an eye opener. I won’t go into details, but it is pretty much an eye opener to me personally.

So, has anyone ever either watched or read something a bit dark (documentary/movie/novel), but has important information when you look past the gritty stuff?

Lend me your thoughts!

1 Like

NOTE: You don’t have to go into full detail about it if you have seen it. That is optional.

Baraka. It’s a silent documentary (no commentary, just visual and music) that explores cultures throughout the world. It had some truly breathtaking beauty in it but also showcased some awful, cruel, horrible things that happen around the world because of cultural issues. It was a lifechanging experience for me when I first saw it and really made me open my eyes to how culture can both positively and negatively affect the world around us. Human nature is so complex and dark, but also fascinating and beautiful.

1 Like

Is it an older documentary or fairly recent?
Just curious.

It is a bit older, I think it was made in the 2000’s or 2010’s but it’s still very good. Thinking about it, I would love to see a similar documentary done by the same people in more recent times. I’m not sure if they’ve done that or not though. It’s kind of a niche film.

1 Like

Do you know or have an idea of what the word “Baraka” means or not at all?

A quick google search gave me this.

In Islam, Barakah or Baraka is a blessing power, a kind of continuity of spiritual presence and revelation that begins with God and flows through that and those closest to God. Baraka can be found within physical objects, places, and people, as chosen by God.

So basically a divine spirit in a person, place, or object.

Considering it was about various cultures of the world, that seems like an apt title. Basically stating there is god or a divine spirit in everything.

1 Like

I’m older. My innocence is very much in the past–and I’m well-rounded consumer of data.

There’s not a lot of shock.

For example, my grandfather was born in 1939, and he personally met his great-uncle who was a drummer for the north in the Civil War. That means on at least one branch, I was 1 person removed from first-hand contact with men who fought in that war. I watched the Challenger explode. I watched the towers fall. My father watched men land on the moon and Kennedy get shot. His grandparents on his mom’s side went from horse-and-buggy to man on the moon. I’m the last generation to play outside, and the first to regularly be on computers. What shocking thing would I find out?

Don’t get me wrong, there’s always something new to find out, but the sense of awe is very tempered.

1 Like

Yes. On the high-end fashion industry.

There was this horrible clip of what they do to the rabbits.

I tend to like to be informed about a lot of things. I’ve watched documentaries on a lot of dark topics.

1 Like

I used to think silk was a nice material, until I learnt how the original silk strands are attained.

Also I’ve been researching into hiking clothing for future travels, and the most common / recommended gear is made from synthetic fibres or fabrics…which are basically petrol by-products that can leech chemicals into your skin…Much nope from me. On a positive note, I also learnt of Marino wool inner layers that are thin, light, and very warm. Wool and fleece or linen might be the way to go for cold weather walks.

1 Like

The things that transpire during WW2 in secret and is just coming out to the world…is immensely scary and a bit interesting to know.

I mean I knew about one thing, but the other was just horrific and disgusting to learn on YouTube.

Another one of those things you don’t learn too much or not enough in school.

I recently binge-watched a set of YouTube videos about famous ship wrecks and was left a little unnerved by the blundering incompetence / arrogance of some captains (or their parent companies),* and the unforgiving brute force of oceanic storms. Stay away from that bastard North Atlantic ~ Sterling Hayden. The previous viewing of a documentary about rogue waves, their frequency and strength didn’t help either.

*The story of a civilian ferry capsizing during a school trip in South Korea was more rage inducing than scary. I only watched snippets of the videos for fear of my monitor’s safety.

The Second War battles in the Far East and Pacific theatres were probably more intense / horrific than the European conflict. Australian / ANZAC troops learnt the hard way how to conduct jungle warfare. As was later demonstrated during the Vietnam War.

Oh, for intense accounts of ground battles in Vietnam I recommend the Jocko Willnik podcasts / interviews on YouTube. One interesting thing I learnt, most of the SOG (Green Beret) soldiers from this conflict were not initially classified as war veterans, because they fought in Laos or Cambodia (and their operations were top secret).

1 Like

I watched a video on this incident along with another:

Unit 731 and The Rape of Nanking/Massacre.

I was a bit ignorant even though I heard of it years ago.

I mean, stuff like that is the stuff of nightmares.

Geez…WW2 had a different yet secretive type of evil.