Have you heard of this sci-fi story?

In another thread, I said I wanted to write a dystopian sci-fi, but the research needed intimidates me. Then I came across this and I thought, well, if there’s low technology, but it happens in space, hey, maybe I could do that.

Might be considered the first sci-fi story.

2 Likes

Interesting! I’ve never heard of this until now, but I do have the Epic of Gilgamesh on my Kindle. I’d never thought of the immortality aspects in that as being sci-fi elements before, but technically I guess that’s true. Who knew! ¯\_(ﭢ)_/¯

1 Like

I’ve never thought of that either. It does make sense though. I guess :stuck_out_tongue:

And…there it is! Lucian of Samosata’s True History.

There wasn’t as much technology imagined in it as I thought there would be. it says “interplanetary warfare”, so I had my hopes up for something epic. I guess they do have their limits back then, but I thought maybe they might have come up with some new form of wagon or something.

I wonder, does sci-fi always have to have weird technology? Or can it be like a Western with guns and people fight invading aliens who come on horseback?

1 Like

Science fiction encompases speculative fi tion as well. That means if yiure questioning the qffects of a specific change in scoeity do to a tech ir knowledge change from who we are roght now, youre acience fiction, maybe even old scbool science fiction.

Flowers for Algernon is speculative fiction/science fiction. The only thing dofferent from our world is a procedure to raise IQ, and the diary for the first test subject. That’s it. Its not futuristic, it’s in the era of still doing frontal lobotomies and thinking we aren’t monsters.

2 Likes

I have this in my TBR :grin:

2 Likes

Its one heck of a mental exercise, that story.

2 Likes